Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Feb 27, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #2,629 of 2,669
How do you think it will sound in the WA5? Will it be nice and gooey in the midrange?
The Cossor 53KU is one of the best rectifiers on this list to my ears. It does have that classic British Hi-Fi sound and does a outstanding job at rendering a beautiful 3-D image. It's similar to the U52 but not the same. Of course both British tubes. If you're looking for that classic British tweed coat warmth then I'd look at the Brimar 5R4GY. It's like gravy and ohhhh so warm and has a beautiful harmonic mid-range.

I have to share a story, during the darkest days of the pandemic, in the early days when all the news was doom and gloom I had this rectifier, the Brimar 5R4GY in my Woo Audio WA6-SE. It was warm like a fireplace and a tweed sport coat and a best pet curled up in your lap. It became my getaway and respite from the news and was and will forever be one of my hall of fame rectifiers.

Of course those days are over and I've moved on to other sounds and have built a more balanced rig. I've chased absolute resolution and have now circled back to a resolving sound but with flesh. What a hobby this audio journey has been and continues to be.

Of course we all have our own path. Not right or wrong but it has to be live and learn....

To each his own...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #2,630 of 2,669
what's sexier than ta 274b? rectifier wise
IMG_9584.jpeg

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #2,632 of 2,669
The ta tho, clean, tall, elegant with just a hint of glow. :stuck_out_tongue:

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #2,635 of 2,669
Feb 28, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #2,636 of 2,669
I like the Loewe's radio AZ12...it is very cool.

IMG_1446.JPG

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #2,637 of 2,669
The Cossor 53KU is one of the best rectifiers on this list to my ears. It does have that classic British Hi-Fi sound and does a outstanding job at rendering a beautiful 3-D image. It's similar to the U52 but not the same. Of course both British tubes. If you're looking for that classic British tweed coat warmth then I'd look at the Brimar 5R4GY. It's like gravy and ohhhh so warm and has a beautiful harmonic mid-range.

I have to share a story, during the darkest days of the pandemic, in the early days when all the news was doom and gloom I had this rectifier, the Brimar 5R4GY in my Woo Audio WA6-SE. It was warm like a fireplace and a tweed sport coat and a best pet curled up in your lap. It became my getaway and respite from the news and was and will forever be one of my hall of fame rectifiers.

Of course those days are over and I've moved on to other sounds and have built a more balanced rig. I've chased absolute resolution and have now circled back to a resolving sound but with flesh. What a hobby this audio journey has been and continues to be.

Of course we all have our own path. Not right or wrong but it has to be live and learn....

To each his own...
Have you had the chance to compare the Brimar 5R4GY to the GZ32?

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #2,638 of 2,669
Have you had the chance to compare the Brimar 5R4GY to the GZ32?

Yes!

My Dario marked GZ32 plays it safe. It's polite and doesn't do anything that's very special yet it also doesn't do anything that's out of hand.

The Brimar 5R4GY as I've said has that thick mid-range. That's the star of the show. Two totally different rectifiers.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #2,639 of 2,669
I have three different GZ32s:

2024-02-28 14.02.47.jpg

The true Mullard GZ32 is on the left and if you inspect the plates it looks like the corners have been "bitten" off. lol :)
The other two likely were made in France and I do not recommend them. But to my ears, the Mullard is "special."

If you want to try the Mullard GZ32, look for the "bitten plates" and there should be a Mullard production code etched into the glass. For example, "R71 B9E" as pictured below. I currently have the Mullard GZ32 installed with a pair of Hytron 76 and it is a very good combination.

2024-02-28 14.04.28.jpg

And yes, the Brimar 5R4GY is another special rectifer and I highly recommend it. :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #2,640 of 2,669
I have three different GZ32s:

2024-02-28 14.02.47.jpg

The true Mullard GZ32 is on the left and if you inspect the plates it looks like the corners have been "bitten" off. lol :)
The other two likely were made in France and I do not recommend them. But to my ears, the Mullard is "special."

If you want to try the Mullard GZ32, look for the "bitten plates" and there should be a Mullard production code etched into the glass. For example, "R71 B9E" as pictured below. I currently have the Mullard GZ32 installed with a pair of Hytron 76 and it is a very good combination.

2024-02-28 14.04.28.jpg

And yes, the Brimar 5R4GY is another special rectifer and I highly recommend it. :)
I have 10 or 12 of those in NOS. Nice tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back