Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Nov 21, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #1,831 of 2,666
Anyone know of a guide to Westinghouse date codes?

@attmci 596 too bright? Wow. Having grown up playing classical piano I’m very sensitive to bright, having sent cables and components back for it, but I don’t find the 596 particularly bright in a Lampi TRP dac — I have two samples (with Tesla EL51s). Where I find it can be a little midrange shouty is in a Supratek preamp (I’m thinking two 596’s in a row is too much).
As I said, just for my own taste in my AMP comparing to my other rectifier tubes.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,834 of 2,666
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,835 of 2,666
As a result of a federal consent decree in 1932, Westinghouse and General Electric exited the radio business, that is, receiving and transmitting tubes and receivers. While both companies continued to work on developing and providing tubes for non-radio industrial applications, such as motor control, railway signaling and medical applications, compared to the radio business, these endeavors were not a significant source of income, and multiple large vacuum tube factories were no longer necessary. In the end, neither company was a major player in radio or television again until after WWII. At that time, GE jump-started their post-war business by purchasing the Ken-Rad vacuum tube business. But it appears that Westinghouse started over from scratch.

So I don't know what photos you have seen, but it appears that Westinghouse didn't have the manufacturing capacity to produce 5-volt tube rectifiers until after WWII. And again, every Westinghouse rectifier I have seen appears to be a rebranded RCA. But if someone has a rectifier that was actually manufactured by Westinghouse, I would love to see it.

Cheers

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #1,836 of 2,666
Westinghouse 5U4G 337 is Westinghouse factory code.
P1020073.JPG
P1020071.JPG
P1020072.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,837 of 2,666
Westinghouse 5U4G 337 is Westinghouse factory code.P1020073.JPGP1020071.JPGP1020072.JPG

It was common practice for manufacturers to put their own name and EIA code on tubes sourced from other manufacturers. So in order to determine which company actually manufactured a tube, it is necessary to compare construction. And on eBay, it is common to see RCA 5U4G with those same ribbed plates and toothy mica spacer, and a getter on top. So again, I have yet to see a Westinghouse 5U4G or 5Z3 that doesn't look like a rebadged RCA.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #1,839 of 2,666
Has anyone tried a pre-war Kenrad VT244, and if so, how does it sound?

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #1,840 of 2,666
Then how will you ever be able to identify a "Real Westinghouse Rectifier Tube." Ex: What came first, the chicken or the egg?

RCA introduced the 5U4G in 1938. So I would say RCA was the first. And again, if and when I see a Westinghouse 5U4G or 5Z3 (same tube, but different base) that doesn't look like a rebranded RCA, Sylvania, or what have you, I would consider it likely to be a genuine Westinghouse.

That said, Canadian Westinghouse Co. Limited was established in Canada in 1903. However, it is not clear to me if this was a self-standing company or a subsidiary of US Westinghouse. Whatever, during WWII, this company manufactured a 5U4G (VU71) for the British market. It's not one of my favorites, but it isn't bad either. :)

2020-11-24 13.36.52.jpg

2020-11-24 13.38.36.jpg

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,841 of 2,666
I was watching the bidding war of 596 on eBay. The price for this midcore rare tube is going crazy. The 596 has large soundstage, however, it is way too bright for my ears. It does help you to transfer your tube amp to a solid amp easily.

Anyone know of a guide to Westinghouse date codes?

@attmci 596 too bright? Wow. Having grown up playing classical piano I’m very sensitive to bright, having sent cables and components back for it, but I don’t find the 596 particularly bright in a Lampi TRP dac — I have two samples (with Tesla EL51s). Where I find it can be a little midrange shouty is in a Supratek preamp (I’m thinking two 596’s in a row is too much).

When I first heard a 596 it was on a WA6-SE, it was bright and kinda forward / aggressive sounding. On a WA22, it was a little lean but smooth and good overall. On a Glenn OTL amp, Apex Teton, and WA5 though, it was warmer and very well balanced, with more resolution than I first heard. On the WA5 I find it to be very transparent, not really adding too much of its own sound. I feel that the 596 seems to take on the sound of the equipment and source and carrys it thru, fulfilling its purpose as an electrical rectifier, true to source. On my WA5 I preferred it over RCA 5U4G and GZ32 / CV 593, which are both great (I recommend these the most as they’re just fantastic all around) but not as clean sounding. I now consider the 596 to be reference level and in the same tier as the WEs, GECs, and metal Mullard, all vary slightly in regards to imaging, tone, decay, and depth. the 596 tho, it scales with the amp and other tubes in it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #1,843 of 2,666
When I first heard a 596 it was on a WA6-SE, it was bright and kinda forward / aggressive sounding. On a WA22, it was a little lean but smooth and good overall. On a Glenn OTL amp, Apex Teton, and WA5 though, it was warmer and very well balanced, with more resolution than I first heard. On the WA5 I find it to be very transparent, not really adding too much of its own sound. I feel that the 596 seems to take on the sound of the equipment and source and carrys it thru, fulfilling its purpose as an electrical rectifier, true to source. On my WA5 I preferred it over RCA 5U4G and GZ32 / CV 593, which are both great (I recommend these the most as they’re just fantastic all around) but not as clean sounding. I now consider the 596 to be reference level and in the same tier as the WEs, GECs, and metal Mullard, all vary slightly in regards to imaging, tone, decay, and depth. the 596 tho, it scales with the amp and other tubes in it.

One tube that gets mentioned occasionally by someone as being really good, but I've never seen reviewed is the Westinhouse 5U4G. I happened to pick up one cheap and if one's taste is more toward the neutral and detailed side, this is an excellent recti.

RCA-Westinghouse - 1.jpgRCA-Westinghouse - 2.jpgRCA-Westinghouse - 3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back