Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Dec 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #153 of 2,666
Bought my first tube amp this year, Decware CSP2+. Initially I was wary about having to purchase tubes after purchasing the amp but I wanted to hear my headphones amped well. I've read Joe's Tube Lore on 6DJ8, 6922 and other sources online. I also found Lord Soth's review on rectifiers which was very helpful. After purchasing different tubes and comparing I am glad I purchased a tube amp. Reviews on different tubes have been very helpful. As far as rectifiers so far I've only tried a Valve Art 274B, Tung Sol 5AU4, and an RCA 5R4GY. Of the three I really liked the RCA 5R4GY, tried this one after reading Lord Soth's review on rectifiers. I have a Philips 5R4GYS on the way. Later I hope to try an RCA 5U4G and maybe a Mullard 5AR4 if I can find one reasonably priced. Thanks to all those who have reviewed tubes and shared their opinions.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #154 of 2,666
  I'm still amazed listening to Marconi U52 in my Stratus amp. NOT a subtle difference over the RCA 5U4G it replaced. Thanks, DG, for doing the homework for me (us).

beerchug.gif

the RCA 5U4G is a very nice tube, i was actually surprised with how well it performed for the price. the U52 is on another level though.

im still saving some U52 i have for when I decide to buy a Stratus. I can only imagine it must be incredible, especially if paired with NOS Single Plate 2A3's

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #155 of 2,666
Huh !, I am sure I posted this couple of pages back but its not there anymore ?? So here goes again ....

Thanks DG for a sharing your knowledge. One of the most informative threads I have read on Head Fi. Much Obliged.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #156 of 2,666
Thanks currawong deleted alot of posts

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #157 of 2,666
Dubstep Girl

I got my Western Electric 422A today for my WA6-SE, and rolled out the Sophia Primcess Woo-upgrade.

The one thing I noticed is that it isn't as loud as the Sophia. I'm using MS-Alessandro Pros with it and will use my HD800 tomorrow but I wanted to know if you think this could be a function of the tube's performance. Grades are all very easy to drive, so I'm a little concerned.

Perhaps some break-in time is needed?

Thank you kindly for any assistance you can help me with.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #158 of 2,666
not sure what you mean by not as loud, you can just turn the volume up?

i don't know how much a rectifier will affect gain, it should be about the same as with the sophia. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #159 of 2,666
I meant gain. It doesn't pack the same punch. But the detail is amazing. I can see why this would be your reference.

Could this be break in?

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #160 of 2,666
i think what you're hearing is the slightly less bass on the 422A vs the sophia which is a pretty bassy tube. yeah it should be a more neutral and balanced tube. 

and yes, its the best rectifier i've heard, incredible tube really. it has more depth detail and clarity than anything else out there.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #161 of 2,666
That solves the problem then. Thank you kindly for your help again.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #162 of 2,666
I'm curious; were adjustments made to the amp(s) used in the comparison in order to take into account the varying forward voltage drops of the different rectifiers?  Typically, a 5AR4 type has a low drop, giving a higher B+ voltage to the amp; a 5R4 a greater drop, with a 5U4G type somewhere in between.  Different B+ voltages make for different operating points; different operating points can make a BIG difference in sound.  Or not - depending upon the amp design.

Also, indiscriminate rectifier swapping can have unpleasant results;

- a 5AR4 pulls 2A filament current, a 5U4G pulls 3A.  Swapping in a 5U4G type in an amp designed for a 5AR4 might stress the power transformer, which on a consumer amp is likely not spec'd for the extra current.  Many vintage amp owners blew their power trans when substituting a 5U4 for the hard to find, expensive 5AR4 (particularly before Russian/Chinese tubes arrived on the scene).

- some rectifiers are intolerant to high capacitance;  anything over 4uF, and you may (or may not) make a 5R4 grumpy enough to arc. [edit] - 4uF directly after the rectifier.

[edit] - placing a 5AR4 in an amp designed with another rectifier might raise the B+ too high, potentially damaging other components (particularly electrolytic capacitors) if the design is close to the edge on component tolerances.  Put a 5AR4 in a Dynaco Mk2, and boom! goes the can cap (Don't ask...)

For me, I buy expensive rectifiers when I have to;  for reliability, and protection of my investment. Expensive amp, then quality NOS rectifier. And yes, they typically sound better than current production, but a well designed power supply will sound good anyway.

I think most rectifier differences folks hear are operating point changes.  Excluding branding/construction differences within the same tube type, of course.   My opinion only.

Now, to really blow your mind - anybody try damper diodes?  My recent builds have used pairs of 6AX4's.  Love 'em!

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #163 of 2,666
No minds blown
wink.gif
 here. We're using a pair of NOS 6AU4GTA damper diodes. The '2359glenn|studio' 300B mono blocks uses damper diodes as well.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #164 of 2,666
I'm going to forward this to my friend at work who is an engineer and see what he has to say. Thank you for your input here.

I'm relatively new and still learning.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #165 of 2,666
  I'm going to forward this to my friend at work who is an engineer and see what he has to say. Thank you for your input here.

I'm relatively new and still learning.

I'm certainly no engineer...  I have just "played" with this stuff for a while.  Rolling your own is an incredible education.  Still learning, too - I really keep things pretty simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back