dual entry...what's the point?
Mar 30, 2009 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

leeperry

Galvanically isolated his brain
I was wondering, what's the science behind dual entry?

I know it's really cool to get double entry recabling, but why not single entry?

I read Denon saying it ensured that both wires were exactly of the same length.....but considering how fast electricity goes(light speed?), does that make any sense?

and in an unbalanced cable, ground will be common anyway....does it really matter whether it merges in the connector or in the cans?

it all sounds like voodoo magic to me
L3000.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 42
I find dual entry slightly more comfortable to wear. With single entry I always get the feeling that the cable is pulling the cup its attached to down, creating an unbalanced feeling on my head.

The rest you say sounds like voodoo to me too
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 42
Single entry cables are intensely annoying because of imbalance issues. Although not nearly as annoying as coiled cord headphones.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Single entry cables are intensely annoying because of imbalance issues. Although not nearly as annoying as coiled cord headphones.

Which may explain two of the many reasons you hate the HD-280 pros.
smily_headphones1.gif

Double entry is simpler as well (for repair and construction), and does away with having to fish two cables through the headband.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 42
well yeah, w/ a heavy techflex cable I can fully understand that you'd rather balance the weight over the 2 ears....but the stock cable on my DT770 almost feels wireless, because it's so light
smily_headphones1.gif

and I've got my amp standing on my left, even when I'm watching movies....I'd find it annoying to have one cable hanging over my chest constantly..

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which may explain two of the many reasons you hate the HD-280 pros.
smily_headphones1.gif

I could overlook every single one of the HD280s glaring ergonomic and structural flaws if it didn't sound like a rhino farting under a pile of duvets in a cave...

...underwater.

... on the moon.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 42
The nice thing about all of this is it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about anything headphone related. By their very nature, your choices only impact you.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

I read Denon saying it ensured that both wires were exactly of the same length.....but considering how fast electricity goes(lightspeed?), does that make any sense?

Well, if all they said was that it ensures that the cables are the same lengths, they didn't really say anything about it affecting the sound. You are correct, though...there's no way length difference would make a difference.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 42
well, on the US site they say : Denon USA | AH-D2000
Quote:

High-quality cables made with 7N-OFC copper of equal lengths for the L/R channels are used to maintain optimum sound quality.

on the french site, they say: Denon Store - Boutique en ligne : Ampli multicanal, tuner hi fi, home cinéma Denon
Quote:

Longueur de câble identique sur les canaux droit et gauche
Les câbles de haute qualité utilisés sur le casque ont rigoureusement la même longueur gauche et droit, afin de maintenir une qualité sonore optimale ainsi qu'une parfaite image stéréo.

which means "strictly the same length on both sides in order to maintain optimal SQ and a perfect stereo image"
redface.gif

I wonder what the Japanese site says
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 42
For the sake of ease of calculation, assume that there's a meter of cable in the head band of a single entry headphone. That means that the signal gets to the right driver .000000003 seconds after it gets to the right. You'd need thousand of kilometers deference in length before anything would be audible.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 42
so to sum up everyone's feedback :

-Denon France is full of it
-AKG phones sound overly bright and quite bad in stock form, but so awesome w/ dual entry and cryo cable
-if you got a heavy techflex cable, you wanna go dual so your head doesn't tilt on the left side
-merging the common ground in the connector or in the left cup doesn't make the slightest difference whatsoever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back