DT990 vs HFI-780 vs D2000: A Comparison for the Electronica Folk
Dec 30, 2009 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HeyItsBattleKid

100+ Head-Fier
Well, today was my most fun day at work! All day, I awaited a cold ten minute walk home in freezing winds with a glaring, yet cold sun. Hat, mittens and lazily chosen Doc Martins to battle the icy paths that lay ahead (damn those things have zero traction!) Making it several steps out the door does nothing to instill confidence in the choice I made in taking those first steps. I end up making several tough decisions along the way; first and foremost, should I scale this nine foot snow bank, or make the five minute long trek around this heap of cloud crap.

Journeying around the chilling obstruction, I feel a slight sensation in my ear; 'tis but a faint glimpse of near future sanctuary I feel. The sound was muffled, unclear, and undefined. My hand touches my head, hoping to find the source of this sound, but with no return. My hands keep their place at my ears, as sheltering igloos for the unprepared eskimos that my ears have become.

I find there is road to cross up ahead, with terrified drivers, keen on ending their misery in the nearest snow bank. Hoping not to be the cushion that protects the car from the oncoming icy obstacle, I wait patiently. Patience, by itself, is not enough to explain what comes back to my mind; it is the sound once more. Even more sensational and with greater clarity and refinement. I go to reach for my ears again, but find nothing there, yet again. Its presence escapes my reasoning, but faintly is grasped by my memory; there is something odd going on.

I prance across the road, avoiding cold where ever possible, but with no success. These winters know no limits. I now see my door to my home, my ever saving grace. My senses sharpen, as I realize there is an end in sight to this despair. My feet move quickly, in a truly melodic fashion. My breathing becomes pronounced, matching harmoniously with the repetitive crushing sound that my feet make in the snow. The sound of my jacket rubbing against itself, escapes its nature of annoying scraping, and begins to sink into the developing sound that my desperate running first created. Again, the sensational sound I heard earlier, is back yet again, more clear and defined then ever! It whispers, flirting with my mind, cluing me in on the big mystery that surrounds my journey.

My hand reaches for the door, almost pulling on the door before my hand has even touched. I become motionless for a split second, as all momentum comes to a halt. The once glorious sound and its accompanying harmony disappear, as a true Minnesota Vikings fan does to the idea of Brett Favre playing on their side. It all gone, the sound, the cold, and time. And then...

P1040004.jpg

I found this on the doorstep. Well... I guess not like this... it didn't stay in the box for more than 15 seconds... it became like the shown picture before I had time to exhale.

Sorry for the long narrative, but I was so damn excited when I saw the box just sitting there. This whole time that my ear was taunting to me, it knew that I had something waiting at home for me! I guess my ears are just sensitive to things they like... and I didn't really get them anything for Christmas, though belated will have to do
ksc75smile.gif

More to come, you guys! I want to finally give something us Electronica-heads have been wanting, a review with Electonica-heads in mind. I've got two Chrystal Method CDs and a Paul Oakenfold CD, but I'll need some more quality source stuff. If you guys have anything you want me to try out, I'll do my best to get a hold of it.

I hope to do some before burn-in testing, as well as some progressive updates during burn-in, maybe every few days. I also want to mention that I'm new to critical listening as a whole, but I will do my darn best to describe what I hear. Don't expect me to be able to pick apart every song, but I will subjectively note which headphones d0 best with each aspect of a certain song.

I also have my RX900s as a basic reference for myself, as well as some Monster Turbines. I won't exactly refer to them ever, unless someone wants a quick opinion on how any of the phones compare.

I also have a Bithead, but will treat an amped and unamped headphone as different headphones in regards to comparison. I know the Beyers will need it, but I'm curious how much the D2000 will be benefiting. Wish me the best! I have lots of work to do! More pictures will come later as well
biggrin.gif

MOVE: Shoot! I spent some time typing... all in the wrong forum
frown.gif
Would a moderator be able to help out an overly excited human find his thread a place (meant to put it in the Headphone section) Thanks Bunches!!!

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 18
Those words were merely excitement. They should have never left my head. I'm usually a pretty straight forward guy and I'll keep my comparisons direct and to the point. I rarely get that excited
bigsmile_face.gif

One small, but important thing I want from any readers is some more song suggestions to better represent the Electronica genre as a whole. Having the song or knowing where to get a high quality version of it, would help me out immensely. Getting great amounts of CDs right now is kinda pouring salt on the wounds these headphone purchases have left on me
confused_face.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you're comparing headphones, this might have been served if you'd posted it in the headphones forum.
wink.gif

Why thank you Captain Obvious!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MOVE: Shoot! I spent some time typing... all in the wrong forum
frown.gif
Would a moderator be able to help out an overly excited human find his thread a place (meant to put it in the Headphone section) Thanks Bunches!!!

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 18
Nicely done
tongue.gif

OP, just pm an active mod. On other forums I usually just report the post to get their attention but I'm not exactly sure how the Head Fi mods would react to that.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 18
My test disc at the moment is Santogold, I think this album has alot different styles to it and has some suprisingly bassy tracks on there. How about some Prodigy, Fat of the land or earlier would be a good test.

You could also try some electro like Erol Alkan, Steetlife DJs, 2manyDJs/Soulwax. You can find Alkan, streetlife and david Guetta free on itunes as podcasts but I dont know what quality they would be.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 18
I'm interested to hear your comparison between the D2000 and the 780's. For test music some good classics would be Prodigy, Massive Attack, The Chemical Brothers, and you already mentioned Crystal Method so that's taken care of. You might want to check out Thievery Corporation, I like to listen them to test out the soundstage.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 18
Hey did you ever get round to comparing these headphones?

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 18
Massive Attack's "Angel" from the album Mezzanine is the best bass test track in existence, in my opinion - you'll be able to figure out how deep the bass goes. Also, you may want to see if the phones can properly resolve some nice deeply layered electronic like Shpongle. Tales of the Inexpressible is a good start.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Massive Attack's "Angel" from the album Mezzanine is the best bass test track in existence, in my opinion - you'll be able to figure out how deep the bass goes. Also, you may want to see if the phones can properly resolve some nice deeply layered electronic like Shpongle. Tales of the Inexpressible is a good start.

Check out Golfer vrs Boxer - Amon Tobin

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 18
Well, at the time of having all three headphones, I thought a review was a great idea. However, I have since changed my perspective on the use of reviews. Rather than review headphones, I would rather review my listening habits and experiences. I liked the HFI-780 because of my listening habits, not because the Ultrasone is a better headphone.

I will be blogging an in-depth analysis of my listening habits soon. After having done that, I will give some personal impressions of all the headphones I have tried. I think I may only be qualified to give an in-depth review of my HFI-780, given my listening experience with them. I have not put enough hours on any other headphone, to give them a deserved review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back