DT990: Tons of sibilance?
Aug 26, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #31 of 49
I hate to say this, but after all of this mess I still love my Grado SR80's.

...but I digress.

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #32 of 49
Haha, I hear you. I'm starting to warm back up to my SR60s after all of this.
plainface.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly, short of tayloring a system for them, there are better choices to be had for the same money, for a bright system i might suggest the Denon AH-D2000s, for instance with your current system.

Amen.

x2.

Yes.

I concur.

Aloha.

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #34 of 49
It may not be for you....

Take this with a grain of salt. I was listening to the DT990 today at a local meet using someone's Antique Sound MG Head DT/OTL Mark III in OTL mode. It seemed to perform well and is relatively inexpensive, some striking similarities to the GS1000 on the same amp. It's not on the same level as an Opera, nor the Beta22, but seemed fine. On the warm side. A Woo Audio (can't recall the model) was very warm, too much for my tastes.

I believe there is a thread regarding the DT990 in the amp section now.

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #35 of 49
Again, thanks to everyone posting their opinions and guidance in this thread.

This set is proving to be a far too difficult undertaking for someone with such little knowledge of headphone amps. I see no choice but to attempt a return (here's hoping B&H is a good company!) of the 990s, as I have no method of trying out different amps before choosing one. It looks like the Beyer sound just isn't for me.

The Denon AH-D2000s, eh? I've been wondering about those. I'll look around here but it'll be difficult to get me to buy a set from a place with a poor return policy.

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, thanks to everyone posting their opinions and guidance in this thread.

This set is proving to be a far too difficult undertaking for someone with such little knowledge of headphone amps. I see no choice but to attempt a return (here's hoping B&H is a good company!) of the 990s, as I have no method of trying out different amps before choosing one. It looks like the Beyer sound just isn't for me.

The Denon AH-D2000s, eh? I've been wondering about those. I'll look around here but it'll be difficult to get me to buy a set from a place with a poor return policy.

Check out Crutchfield when they get them in stock.

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #38 of 49
Something like the DT880's LOVE warmth. It butters up the bottom end and rolls of the top end a hair.

The DT990's you have to be careful with. There's so much bass, it can get flabby and I mean fast. In other words, if you focus on taming that top end you could up having this big mushy lower end.

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like ER-4S, DT990 neet lotsa warmth from the source. I don't think any SS amp gonna do justice to this wonderful cans. [...]

Check out post #16 on page 1 in this thread. I still hope we'll hear from somebody else with confirmation/refutation of those impressions.

Cheers,

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #40 of 49
i briefly heard the DT990s through a couple of amps...one the CKKIII and the other a Tube amp yet to be named for the DIY community.
I did not get enough time on the second one, but what i heard on the CKKIII was superb.

Then again, it is the opinion of many that the CKKIII sounds more 'tubey' that SS. But, it still is SS.
IS it any wonder then that i decided to build one for myself and get a DT990 to go with it
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #42 of 49
All right, I have an RMA for them, and I'll be shipping them back tomorrow.

Big thanks to everyone who helped me come to this decision. While I'm now fairly lost as to which headphones are the right fit for me, I'm finally learning which characteristics I am looking for. Now I just have to figure out which headphones I DO like!
confused.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] Now I just have to figure out which headphones I DO like!
confused.gif

Enjoy the search, Trastan. It's 99% of the fun anyway!
3000smile.gif

Good luck!

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #44 of 49
Hmm thought Id throw my 2 copper in. I run the 990s through the headfive and when I first got the phones with about 30 hours on them there would be certain songs like lets say Teardrop by Massive Attack where the sibliance was glaringly obvious. After a burn in 300 hours or so later I went back to this same song to specifically note if I could find a difference. Besides thinking that perhaps I could get more from the song now the sibliance is VERY much so reduced.

And as much as the psychological effect could be there, eg listening to so many songs in that 300 hours that you get used to it, I ran mostly pink noise for a large portion of that 300 with a lot of my listening time being spent on songs w/o vocals.

You can still notice it a bit, particularly since you find yourself expecting it to happen at each S however this song is highly sibliant anyway. The important note is that the long burn in I feel was very needed to find the full potential of this phone, however thats a gamble if you can return now. If you can't Id say give them a nice long burn in and see whats going on IYO and then sell through forums.

lol just saw your last post up there that said your returning today anyway, shrugs oh well. I found them to be great, if you ever get a chance listen to one thats been burnt in for a decent time period~cheers

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #45 of 49
Thanks you two. I'm about to ship out the DT 990s. I have to admit, they really show potential; outside of the sibilance issues, I really enjoyed them. If the return process goes south and they end up shipping the 990s back to me, I'll give them a much longer-term shot (and plenty more pink noise burn-in).

However, I just discovered something. I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 457 a while back (certainly not the best of Senn's offerings), and, on a whim, decided to try them out on my receiver setup. Frankly, I'm amazed: the warmer sound of the Sennheisers was just what I wanted. The 457s certainly lack detail in the highs, but the overall feeling that I got from trying them was so enjoyable that I think I may have crossed out Sennheiser much too quickly.

Therefore, I'm now I'm contemplating trying out the HD 650s. If they're similar to the 457s, with a lot of warmth and great bass, only with a high-end sound quality, then I think I'll have found my prime set. We'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back