DT990: Tons of sibilance?
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I met with a couple other members and I spent some time with a well burned in 2005, 250 ohm and yes Its got some treble thats boosted relative to the mids IMHO. Every so often with vocals it would "zzzzing" around ~10khz
eek.gif
. IMHO it needs a very clean source/amp, that replicates those frequencies without any artifacts or coloration. Its a double edged sword. That treble boost can reveal a lot of detail and air around upper midrange notes, the key is amping/sourcing it properly so its clean.

IMHO of course.

Yes, that's my experience too: These are fussy phones. But, when you find a good amp for them, there's detail to die for, a very large soundstage and spectacularly deep bass. For me, it was a perfect match with the Max'd-out Desktop amp. This amp tames the sibilance completely, without obscuring detail. It would be nice to hear from others who have partnered the DT990-250 with the Desktop. Anybody?

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #17 of 49
"Hello, my name is Dash and I'm a Gradoholic"

That being said, I could never get acquanted with the treble presentation of the DT 990 250ohm. It sometimes appeared grainy and even grating. I believe that the overall presentation of the frequency range with the DT990 compounds the problem. The bass and treble is accenuated. That leaves the mids feeling scooped out. I imagine the freq curves looks like a U.

2 cents.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #18 of 49
Piercing highs, possibly. I find the highs pretty good, to be honest. Detailed, boosted and emphasized, but at the same time, smooth in transitions. I'm not overly sensitive to sibilance unless it's overly pronounced. I've not had that experience with the DT990. I've actually listened to the DT990 side by side with an RS-1. Soundstage/headstage aside, the RS-1 is different, the highs are not as smooth and it's more peaky, with a narrower boost range in the upper freq.

The sound of the DT990 takes some getting used to. If you're used to a Senn and really love Sennheisers, you will hate the DT990. There is no veil. I'm actually dying to hear the DT880 '05. Supposedly it has more bass and more treble.

Keep in mind, I'm a hardcore solid state guy. No tubes, absolutely none, for me.

I need to hear the DT990 with tubes, but I think it will tame the highs alot. I've heard the RS-1 with an Ear Max and the solid state presentation went away significantly. The treble spikes dipped significantly, and the lower mids became prominent. It was almost like putting down the RS-1 and picking up a Senn, it was that drastic. Too bad I didn't have my 1/4" adapter for the DT990, as I'm sure the effect would be the similar.

When you think about it, people build systems around a K701, DT880, or an HD650. Yet, some people just try the DT990 in whatever they have and complain. If you really want the cans to work, I'm sure you can find a way by building a system around it. Personally, if any cans can make me even consider tubes in any way shape or form, it would be a DT990. I've never heard the Opera paired with a DT990. From what people say, it's got some serious synergy.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All right, I think I'll try returning them then. I'm pretty disappointed; I really thought these would be a great all-purpose set. That marks the Grado SR325i, Beyer DT 880, and now the DT 990 off of my potential hopefuls.

Whoa...hold the phone.

What was wrong with the DT880's in terms of being "a great all purpose set"???

They are not my favorite cans, but if you said grab one set for all situations, I might grad the DT880's--a real swiss army knife set of headphone IMO.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The sound of the DT990 takes some getting used to. If you're used to a Senn and really love Sennheisers, you will hate the DT990. There is no veil.

I love my Senns to death and guess what i got a DT990 on the way. I heard the DT990s at a headfi meet and was blown away. I kinda feel i might have found my resting place with the Senn HD580 and the Beyer DT990.
So don't knock it till you tried it.

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 49
Thanks for the input, everyone. There are some very good points here, and I'm sure now that I've jumped to conclusions much too quickly. holland, your point was a real eye-opener for me:

Quote:

When you think about it, people build systems around a K701, DT880, or an HD650. Yet, some people just try the DT990 in whatever they have and complain. If you really want the cans to work, I'm sure you can find a way by building a system around it.

I *DO* want them to work. I've never been a fan of the Sennheiser sound, and Grados, while fantastic, still didn't have the highs that I was searching for. I think that these DT 990s could be my set, and I'm going to try my best to get them to sound right.

Okay, so the Opera is claimed to be a prime amp for the 990s, but it's far out of my price range. Could, perhaps, I be satisfied with a lower-budget offering from Meier? Possibly the Move, as I could certainly use DAC functionality?

I'm completely open to suggestions, though I would like the peak cost to be roughly $300.

Bootleg: I agree, the 880s is an awesome set. Truth be told, I may have kept them had the 990s not existed. I found the 880s to not have the bass that I was looking for (I like "fun" 'phones
icon10.gif
), so I saw the 990s as the logical option.

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 49
I used my DT 990s with a MAD Ear HD+ and the tubes helped smooth out the presentation over SS. I still greatly prefered the RS1 to the DT990 though. Synergy is the key.
I actually prefered the DT770(80) to the 990(2005). But we all have different ears and that makes this hobby interesting.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #23 of 49
The 990 2005 32 ohm model that I got basically made me cross out beyer forever! One brand down. It makes me think... What kind of company can call a headphone with treble like that it's flagship model. uuuhh, and the recessed inorganic midrange. how anti-audiophile! I gave it 150 hours of burn in before judgment. I was gonna give it more hours but the change from 0 hrs to 150 was too small to make me expect anything from it anymore.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 990 2005 32 ohm model that I got basically made me cross out beyer forever! One brand down. It makes me think... What kind of company can call a headphone with treble like that it's flagship model. uuuhh, and the recessed inorganic midrange. how anti-audiophile! I gave it 150 hours of burn in before judgment. I was gonna give it more hours but the change from 0 hrs to 150 was too small to make me expect anything from it anymore.

Have you tried DT-880? Its so much more worth of flagship title than DT-990.

DT-990 had a lot of good qualities and I did like them when I owned them, but it had little bit too much flaws and I also really needed closed cans so they had to go.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 49
love senns hate dt990.....

its actually the other way round for me LOL love DT990 hate senns (HD650 & HD595). ive never really had a problem with the highs on the DT990. have always loved them and how they sound. i listen mostly to metal by the way, mostly the fast kind, hence the hatred of Senns heh heh heh.

as seen in sig ive paired mine with the Cute Battery II headamp. and i have to say with the stock opamps it does get abit sharp at times but it still didnt bother me. but once the 2107 opamps went in, i was absolutely happy.

the sound was darker, has more air and it definately helped to tame the highs. (not much but enough).

one thing ive noticed (especially in these forums) with the DT990, its a love or hate thing.

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

dude...you tried out the 32 ohm model, no wonder. go for 250 or 600 instead.

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude...you tried out the 32 ohm model, no wonder. go for 250 or 600 instead.

Most who have heard both say that 32 and 250 are almost same. Its 600 ohm one where the bigger difference lies?

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 49
As has been stated, and my personal experience with these 990s('05e , 250 Ohm), is that these are highly revealing cans, with both high frequency extention and added energy in their treble registers. What they will present in my personal evolution of systems only began to show thier beautific potential with the addition of a NOS MHDT Constatine DAC with the MAD tube amp (see profile), which turned them into keepers, whereas they were offered for sale previously.
Their presentation continued to improve into being "Excellent" with the aquisition of the Meier Corda Opera, even SACD sourced analog IN to the Opera . This experience I offer as indication of the importance of the amplifier matching and/or the importance of source of choice.

Further, we read of CD glare of the digital domain reported widely by listeners (read AudioAsylum, Audiogon discussion's), with a maked increase of NOS DACs and/or the return to vinyl, for useage with revealing speakers/transducers/headphones . Yes, I do believe soundcards are a notch lower in their presentation of especially the upper registers where noise and distortion enter the data stream, than CDs in general vs a mid level CDP, then dependent upon the players DAC section or better yet (at a cost effective price point), an outboard DAC . Even a relatively low cost NOS DAC if these phones are to be kept is in order, IMO &E.

Of course the system into which we plug a HP will dictate what is presented and a phone with a hyper excieted treble will reveal what you are experiencing as that is also what is being fed them,ergo bad match. Most recievers will be driving somehing less than revealing & detailed transducers. Hook that reciever up to a pair of Klispch speakers and you'll want to rid yourself of those speakers too.

For instance, my Klispch Cornwalls with micro detailed orintated digital amps with the Opera upstream is a beautiful match; Source and preamping of that system has the Cornwalls singing nicely!

I have given up recommending these Beyers 990s due to their difficult system match, however I can give no higher recommendation for them in the right system! FWIW

Certainly, short of tayloring a system for them, there are better choices to be had for the same money, for a bright system i might suggest the Denon AH-D2000s, for instance with your current system.

Good luck~

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #30 of 49
I've had the 990s for a month now, and out of my Hornet they are definitely less fatiguing than the Grado SR80s I had a while back (though I didn't get to hear the Grados out of the Hornet). I have compared them to my Senn 595s, and when I switch back to the 990s, it's like someone's opened up all the windows and the air just comes rushing into my ears. I do think the mids are better out of the Senns, but I have to listen to them at much higher volume to get the same enjoyment.

The more I've read about 990s, the more I think people's enjoyment of them will depend at least as much on volume levels as on synergistic amps. Seems like people who prefer to listen at lower volumes enjoy the 990s more. I never think mine have too much bass, but I've noticed that it does get a bit boomy if I really crank it up. Maybe the highs would be piercing if I listened louder too. But at my volume, it's almost exactly right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back