DT990: Tons of sibilance?
Aug 25, 2007 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Trastan

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone else has this problem? Nearly every song I play has such piercing highs that I end up having to tone down the treble pretty substantially. Admittedly my DT990s are pretty new (between 50-75 hours of break-in, typically with pink noise), but I haven't had this issue with the DT880s, Grado SR325is, or SR60s.

My hardware is listed in my signature. I've also tried a Yamaha (RX-V430) receiver and my Cowon D2 with similar results. Does anyone have an idea as to what my problem could be? Perhaps I need a different kind of headphone amp (and if so, which?)?

Much obliged for any ideas!
blink.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 49
I'm assuming you have the 250 ohm 2005 model. Most likely the sibilance is due to how new they are. When I received my 250 ohm 990s (used), they did have some glare and were a bit harsh but only on certain songs. I've heard a 600 ohm 990 and this is not the case with them. I recently recabled mine and it really responded quite nicely. The glare and harshness is all but gone and I fell in love with them all over again. So much so that my obsession in getting a pair of 600 ohms has diminished.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 49
One other thing - taking a look at your equipment list: I don't know anything about your Denon receiver but it may not be driving your 990s very well. You need some ponies to drive 250 ohms and the 990s respond well to dedicated amps. That may be contributing to your problem. Even a Headfive/Arietta would be an improvement.

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 49
yes, that was exactly what I experienced with 990s, 2005 Edition, a couple of month back. the sibilance is VERY noticeable in songs, especially female pop, even in classical music with violins. Sold mine as a result.

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 49
This is surprising to me (I have never heard the DT990's)...With the DT880 being so clean and all....

Most of the sibilance i have heard in my life has been with closed cans.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerdynamic
Features: Strong bass and treble

In a world full of marketing-blabla at least Beyerdynamic is talking straight.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 49
I met with a couple other members and I spent some time with a well burned in 2005, 250 ohm and yes Its got some treble thats boosted relative to the mids IMHO. Every so often with vocals it would "zzzzing" around ~10khz
eek.gif
. IMHO it needs a very clean source/amp, that replicates those frequencies without any artifacts or coloration. Its a double edged sword. That treble boost can reveal a lot of detail and air around upper midrange notes, the key is amping/sourcing it properly so its clean.

IMHO of course.

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 49
The 990's sizzle and fry my ears. The Grado's may be bright, but it's a natural energetic treble section. The 990's are all ZZZSsssssssss ZZZZZSssssssss

The best suggestion is that these headphones aren't for you.

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 49
Yup, DT990 has some major treble shizzle going on. This hardcore Grado fan found it bothersome. Too bad, DT880 treble was simply beautifull.

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, DT990 has some major treble shizzle going on. This hardcore Grado fan found it bothersome. Too bad, DT880 treble was simply beautifull.

This stinks...I was really thinking about going DT990 someday...I guess the DT880 is as good as it gets for Beyer?

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This stinks...I was really thinking about going DT990 someday...I guess the DT880 is as good as it gets for Beyer?

Pretty much yes, minus lacking bass power, atleast in 2003 model. Though Im not sure about 2005 model and how it reproduces bass.

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 49
All right, I think I'll try returning them then. I'm pretty disappointed; I really thought these would be a great all-purpose set. That marks the Grado SR325i, Beyer DT 880, and now the DT 990 off of my potential hopefuls.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Finding the right set seems to be quite a bit more difficult than I'd thought.
frown.gif

EDIT: I'm going to give them a go with a bit more burn-in. I just tried them with a bit of treble equalization, and I'm starting to warm up to them. Time will tell.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 49
I'd suggest burning in a little more and see how you go. I am absolutely loving mine to bits. I bought them used, and I'm not sure how much time was on them before, but they just sound magic to me.

That said, I'm a bit of a "treble head" I guess. I love some sparkle.
smily_headphones1.gif

Please note that I am not simply suffering from high frequency hearing loss. I can hear dog whistles, and those kangaroo shoo things on cars (check my location
biggrin.gif
). The things drive me to distraction - just like they are supposed to do for the roos I guess. Maybe I'm a kangaroo...

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 49
I haven't noticed any major sibilance with my pair. Of course the treble is really present, but i like it. I listen to mainly metal and rock and these things absoluty shine. Using 0404 USB to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back