dt990 pro really that good?
Sep 20, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 56
Depends on what you want.

The DT990 Pros are very bass and treble heavy. It's an aggressive sounding headphone, with in your face bass and treble. The type of bass it has is not usual for open headphones. They hit pretty hard. Great for EDM and bass heavy genres. The soundstage is great too.

If you're looking for well balanced, look elsewhere. These are for those looking for an obviously colored sound.

Also, don't expect them to sound great off a portable amp like the E11. They deserve a desktop amp, preferably a warm one. They will go loud off portable amps, but volume does not equal properly driven.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 56
WAY better. Owned both. Dubstep and electro are a strength for the 990 Pros, no question.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 56
For the price? I believe there's little competition. The main strength being that it has an open design, which gives a higher quality presentation vs closed design. Not many open cans can touch the 990's bass either.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 56
Quote:
Sounds like the dt990 pro are the ones to buy, nothing else better for this type of music? Thanks btw

Heya,

There's better than the DT990 for dub/bassy stuff. But it's mostly closed back. I would take a Denon D2000 over a DT990 any day for electronic music. Other headphones that I consider better than the DT990 for bassy/electronic/dub: AudioTechnica A900X, Beyer DT770, Ultrasone PRO 750 & HFI 580, HM5. My reasoning is because I favor sub bass over mid bass, and the DT990 has a lot of mid bass; I go for the 30hz drop. The DT990 is a great headphone, fantastic, but it's not as bassy in areas that I want bass--sub bass. But that's because it's an open headphone and they have a harder time with sub-bass tones in general compared to a closed headphone. Mid bass blooms are what gives a headphone a "boomy" sound, which is over powering the mids and makes it sound odd to me. I like headphones that can rumble sub bass without sounding all boomy and bloated, so you get that super low sub bass hum/thump while still having great mids & treble.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 56
MalVeaux: does it matter which version of DT 700? which one has been discontinue that you prefer? was going to send you a PM but might as well ask the question here maybe somebody else may learn too
Thanks

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 56
To answer the original poster, they really are that good!!!

The bass is amazing when powered by a good amp.  The bass isn't flowing, but rather, each deep note has a very distinct beginning and an end.   And these really warm up nicely when amped properly.  I actually prefer my yamaha receiver to power these.

The highs are a bit overwhelming.  They aren't sibilant, in that there isn't hissing.  But the clank of a hi-hat sounds more like shattering crystal.  And the highs are profoundly clear.  Some may describe these as very analytical because of the highs.  But I find the bass from these cans more analytical.

The mids aren't recessed.  But the bass and highs are so profound that the mids can appear otherwise recessed.  With a good amp, the mids fill in nicely and brings out some warmth otherwise vacuous.

Because of these characteristics, they are amazing with electronic and bass heavy music.  I actually love them for acoustic and electric guitar heavy songs as well.  Female singers also sound amazing with these.

I think these would be great for your listening habits, but i highly recommend a GOOD amp.  Don't let the 250ohm rating fool you.  These are power hogs.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 56
So confused now, so the d770 pro are better than dt990 for dubstep?

The 990s walk all over the 770s. The 770s have a lot of bass... that's pretty much it. They are fart cannons, whereas the 990s have clarity, air, and soundstage, while still having fantastic bass. Not sure if Mal is talking about the Pros which have considerably more bass presence all over than the 990 Premiums.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:
So confused now, so the d770 pro are better than dt990 for dubstep?

For me, yes. Pulsing sub-bass is what I love about dub-step. The DT990 doesn't provide it as well as a closed phone does, and the DT770 PRO is great at this. Especially on a Fiio amp with +3db into bass without distortion.
Quote:
MalVeaux: does it matter which version of DT 700? which one has been discontinue that you prefer? was going to send you a PM but might as well ask the question here maybe somebody else may learn too
Thanks

DT770 PRO. Impedance version doesn't matter. 80ohm should technically have the easier boom.
Quote:
The 990s walk all over the 770s. The 770s have a lot of bass... that's pretty much it. They are fart cannons, whereas the 990s have clarity, air, and soundstage, while still having fantastic bass. Not sure if Mal is talking about the Pros which have considerably more bass presence all over than the 990 Premiums.

Yeap, PROs.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 56
The denon d2000 is £250, the ultrasone pro 750 is £250 ,and the a900x £250, the dt990 pro is £125 + £20 or so, They should all be better than dt990 when there double the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back