DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #94 of 1,091
Quote:

It´s kinda local store in czech republic, dunno if they ship international, but you can try http://www.sluchatka.net/

I see the FOR 250 ohm straight cable, I'm guessing that's the pro. It also says those are made exclusively for sluchatka.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #98 of 1,091
Heya everyone! First of thank you for such a great site!

I have owned a pair of DT990 250 ohm headphones for about 6 months now. Up until recently I have been listening to them with a flat EQ and they sound great. However I do like some bass and I have read in the forums here at Head-Fi that the DT990 Pros can put out some nice bass. So I have been experimenting the last few days with the EQ on my sound card (I am currently using a Creative Titanium HD soundcard with a FiiO E9K headphone amp) and I cannot seem to get a good bass sound that I am looking for without it being muddy and losing clarity.

For example, if I boost the bass in the EQ (using the Creative console launcher) the bass seems muddy, and if I cut the bass back, then the bass is lacking. I cannot seem to obtain a good balance of good, deep bass, and clarity with the highs and mids (if that is even possible to have both). I have tried different settings with the bass crossover frequency going from between 39 Hz to over 100 Hz and still cannot find a good sweet spot.I have also tried cutting the EQ on all of the frequencies except the 31Hz and 62Hz with not much of a difference. The DT 990 Pro's sound great even at a flat EQ, but I would like some deep bass to go a long with it while maintaining some kind of clarity and not being muddy. Is this possible? Does anyone have any good suggestions on how I may achieve this? Are there any other Equalizers out there that would work better than the Creative Console Launcher or any other programs I could use if the Creative Console Launcher EQ isn't the answer?

Thank you again for any suggestions and/or tips any of you have. You guys are awesome and I love reading and learning from you guys. Thank you for such a great site and I appreciate all of your help. Sorry, I am still a beginner at this stuff, and I am on a tight budget so I don't have much of an elaborate setup.

Thanks!!

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #99 of 1,091
Just ordered the DT990 Pros and a Creative X-Fi HD USB DAC/amp from Amazon. They should get here by Tuesday, I can hardly wait?

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #100 of 1,091
Awesome. I use an X-fi Titanium HD internal soundcard and it does pretty well with the DT 990 Pros. For me I had to adjust the EQ with the X-fi a bit to get the sound I was looking for but it turned out nice. I don't have a lot of money so I ended up just buying a FiiO E9k amp to help drive the DT 990 pros. The X-fi could drive the DT 990 pros but with the addition of the E9K it was much better. I had a difficult time at first getting a nice sound with the X-fi and the DT 990 Pros, but with help from other members here I got it sounding pretty darn good considering I don't have a lot of money in my setup.

I think you'll enjoy the X-fi with the DT 990 pros and if you need help getting the sound you're looking for, these guys here know their stuff and can help. In my opinion, the DT 990 Pros are great cans for the price and the X-fi has a pretty good DAC, at least the internal card does. I am sure the USB version will work just as well.

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #101 of 1,091
I hope the X-Fi USB turns out to be good, as I haven't exactly heard the best things about it, but we'll have to see, as this is my first foray into a headphone that requires an amp to shine.

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #102 of 1,091
Quote:
Just ordered the DT990 Pros and a Creative X-Fi HD USB DAC/amp from Amazon. They should get here by Tuesday, I can hardly wait?

FYI that uses the same DAC chipset as the Schiit Modi (AKM AK4396). They probably don't sound alike but it's still pretty interesting. Most of the Creative stuff i've heard is pretty good.
I have the Creative X-Fi Go Pro and it's a steal for $30. Luckily mine is dead silent and there's no static or hissing..

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #103 of 1,091
That's reassuring to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back