DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #122 of 1,091
Good question and there is a debate among the head-fi community about this subject. Some head-fi'ers believe headphones sound better with burn-in (meaning getting usually between 50-100 hours listening time, it varies) some head-fi'ers believe burn-in is just a myth. it really depends on who you talk to. I personally believe that burn-in does in fact make certain headphones (especially ones with bigger drivers and higher impedance's) sound better. I believe this because sound is basically a pressure wave. Meaning when you get a new set of cans, the drivers (diaphragms) aren't broken in, as pressure waves (sound) move through them, the diaphragms and drivers become more flexible meaning that the more they are able to move, the more pressure waves can be produced, which also means for higher-impedance headphones amps are necessary to drive them so the diaphragms and drivers can move to produce sufficient pressure waves (sound).

Like I said though, it is a debate and a matter of opinion, some believe in burn-in, others do not. I have 6 different pairs of entry-level to mid-level cans, and I switch between them from time to time. When listening to them for over long periods, they seem to sound better, but that is my opinion.

A good example of this for me is the DT 990 Pro's. I was a little disappointed when I first received them after reading all of the positive reviews and looking at the graphs and testing done on them. I thought "what was all of that fuss about?" However having them for over a year now and well over 100 hours listening to them, even after going to my higher-end cans, the DT 990 Pros just sound amazing. That's my 2 cents.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #123 of 1,091
  Good question and there is a debate among the head-fi community about this subject. Some head-fi'ers believe headphones sound better with burn-in (meaning getting usually between 50-100 hours listening time, it varies) some head-fi'ers believe burn-in is just a myth. it really depends on who you talk to. I personally believe that burn-in does in fact make certain headphones (especially ones with bigger drivers and higher impedance's) sound better. I believe this because sound is basically a pressure wave. Meaning when you get a new set of cans, the drivers (diaphragms) aren't broken in, as pressure waves (sound) move through them, the diaphragms and drivers become more flexible meaning that the more they are able to move, the more pressure waves can be produced, which also means for higher-impedance headphones amps are necessary to drive them so the diaphragms and drivers can move to produce sufficient pressure waves (sound).

Like I said though, it is a debate and a matter of opinion, some believe in burn-in, others do not. I have 6 different pairs of entry-level to mid-level cans, and I switch between them from time to time. When listening to them for over long periods, they seem to sound better, but that is my opinion.

A good example of this for me is the DT 990 Pro's. I was a little disappointed when I first received them after reading all of the positive reviews and looking at the graphs and testing done on them. I thought "what was all of that fuss about?" However having them for over a year now and well over 100 hours listening to them, even after going to my higher-end cans, the DT 990 Pros just sound amazing. That's my 2 cents.

Ah, I see. But, surely we can remove the subjective element out of this debate!
Has no one ever conducted tests? I don't know what exactly should be examined, but what if we measure, say, the frequency responses of a product before and after a period of "burn-in" ? Surely we will then be able to scientifically determine if there is any truth to this!

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #124 of 1,091

Ah, I see. But, surely we can remove the subjective element out of this debate!
Has no one ever conducted tests? I don't know what exactly should be examined, but what if we measure, say, the frequency responses of a product before and after a period of "burn-in" ? Surely we will then be able to scientifically determine if there is any truth to this!

Yes good reply. I am sure there have been tests done, I am sure if you search threads here at Head-fi you'll find some threads on burn-in and members who have done testing.

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #125 of 1,091
Listening to a pair of 30 year old DT990's through an iFi iDAC > iFi iTube > iFi iCan (x-bass low/3D high) they sound incredible listening to Gomez - Liquid Skin in Flac

Got a pair of DT990 600ohm Manufaktur recabled with silver cable in the post, cant wait to get them. The ones im using are borrowed off a fellow headfier

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #126 of 1,091
  Listening to a pair of 30 year old DT990's through an iFi iDAC > iFi iTube > iFi iCan (x-bass low/3D high) they sound incredible listening to Gomez - Liquid Skin in Flac

Got a pair of DT990 600ohm Manufaktur recabled with silver cable in the post, cant wait to get them. The ones im using are borrowed off a fellow headfier

I can't believe these headphones are so old.
I guess I now understand the cause of the massive distortion at mid to high volume levels.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #127 of 1,091
The Pros are relatively new; the Premiums have varying ages, some vintage and some newer

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #128 of 1,091
How much do these improve with burn in? I just got these headphones in today and I am not a big fan of the sound so far - it sounds like a boombox on my head. I got these as a supplement to my DT 770 Premium 32ohms because I wanted some extra bass but it looks like I got more than I bargained for! The bass is there, but at the expense of everything else - these sound very dark and 'serious', grumpy almost - I'm missing the fun/happy mid and high frequencies. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #129 of 1,091
  Hello everyone,

today I purchased these headphones too after reading many reviews.
I wanted to enter the "head-fi" world without spending too much and so I used 150€ of my cash to get the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.

They sound horrible though. The sound is really distorted and bad compared to my cheap random 50€ headphones.

I tried connecting them to my sound card (X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty) and to my receiver (Onkyo HT-538).
They sound really really bad even at moderate volume levels, as in cracking / popping.

I don't have a dedicated amplifier, but surely an amp only makes a difference in loudness.

Am I missing something? Will an amplifier really make a difference in quality?

So far I am very disappointed.

Seeing as your question hasn't really been answered, are you using any effects on your source? Any 'bass boost', 3D sound, anything like that? All those effects need to be off if you don't want distortion. I can play mine at ear damaging volumes with no distortion, so something is wrong with your equipment, headphones... or sound files.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #130 of 1,091
  Seeing as your question hasn't really been answered, are you using any effects on your source? Any 'bass boost', 3D sound, anything like that? All those effects need to be off if you don't want distortion. I can play mine at ear damaging volumes with no distortion, so something is wrong with your equipment, headphones... or sound files.

My questions have been answered to a degree, but I managed to figure out the rest anyway so no matter.
Yes I disabled any effects or EQ and there is no problem with my sound files.

It appears that the issue is the bass. Yes you can turn up the volume to ear damaging volumes with rock music (for instance), but with genres that might have really deep bass, such as deep house, they really distort. This has been confirmed by other users as well so I am pretty sure at this point that there is no problem with my equipment.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #131 of 1,091
  How much do these improve with burn in? I just got these headphones in today and I am not a big fan of the sound so far - it sounds like a boombox on my head. I got these as a supplement to my DT 770 Premium 32ohms because I wanted some extra bass but it looks like I got more than I bargained for! The bass is there, but at the expense of everything else - these sound very dark and 'serious', grumpy almost - I'm missing the fun/happy mid and high frequencies. 

Are you referring to the DT 990 Pro's? If so, you feel there is too much bass? I find the DT 990 Pros to be extremely flat and neutral sounding, in fact, even lacking in the bass department. What is your source, DAC, amp, etc? Are you using any EQ, DSP or VST's?

Like I always say though, sound is subjective, but it is difficult for me to see the DT 990 Pro's as bass-heavy.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #132 of 1,091

Are you referring to the DT 990 Pro's? If so, you feel there is too much bass? I find the DT 990 Pros to be extremely flat and neutral sounding, in fact, even lacking in the bass department. What is your source, DAC, amp, etc? Are you using any EQ, DSP or VST's?

Like I always say though, sound is subjective, but it is difficult for me to see the DT 990 Pro's as bass-heavy.

Yes, DT 990 Pro 250 ohm. I'm using these out of Schiit Magni + Modi DAC/amp, which is probably not the best combo for these headphones. I did notice the amp adds a good amount to to the bass - if I connect the headphones straight to my soundcard then they sound more flat. I'm surprised though, I think the Magni is slightly bright and the DT 990's are supposed to be very bright (which is what I want), but I have not really noticed this.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #133 of 1,091
I'm surprised to hear people think these headphones are anywhere near flat. I find them to have quite a steep V shape spectrum, but that's okay as I like that kind of sound.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #134 of 1,091
  Yes, DT 990 Pro 250 ohm. I'm using these out of Schiit Magni + Modi DAC/amp, which is probably not the best combo for these headphones. I did notice the amp adds a good amount to to the bass - if I connect the headphones straight to my soundcard then they sound more flat. I'm surprised though, I think the Magni is slightly bright and the DT 990's are supposed to be very bright (which is what I want), but I have not really noticed this.

That is kinda surprising to me, especially with the Schiit Magni. Usually the response from a lot of owners is that there is not enough bass in these, but then again I guess it depends in what type of sound you're looking for. For example, for me I find that through my source, DAC, and amp, the DT 990 Pro's are very neutral and natural sounding, as in the post above by razor5cl, he hears them as having a steep V shape spectrum which he says he likes, and I just had a conversation with electrolover about him feeling a bit disappointed in the lack of bass of the DT 990 Pros.

What are your previous set of cans? What is your source (meaning do you use a CD player, an Ipod, PC software player etc.) and are you running any EQ'ing, DSP effects, VST's or anything like that with any software players? And like you said, it is hard to imagine that the Magni would be adding that much bass to the cans, it's usually a pretty bright amp (subjectively speaking). What about your soundcard? You stated that when you plug the DT 990 pro's directly into it it sounded more flat, what soundcard is it? Have you tried using the a different DAC with the Magni? Maybe you could try connecting the Magni to your soundcard since you said with your soundcard it sounds a little more flat. If you connect the Magni to your soundcard then listen to the DT 990 Pros and it sounds real bass heavy then it could be the Magni, if after doing that, it still sounds relatively flat, then we could rule out the Magni as being the source and focus on the Modi, but I can't see that adding bass to the sound either.

Honestly I am a little stumped on this one, I am just trying to help you narrow down what could be causing the DT 990 pros to produce so much bass for you. Hopefully another member can chime in as well to offer suggestions and/or solutions. But I'll try to work with you the best I can to see if we can figure out what is causing this.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #135 of 1,091
Also, BrianPeppers, what music do you listen to? For some genres these probably do have too much bass, but for others its probably just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back