DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #136 of 1,091

That is kinda surprising to me, especially with the Schiit Magni. Usually the response from a lot of owners is that there is not enough bass in these, but then again I guess it depends in what type of sound you're looking for. For example, for me I find that through my source, DAC, and amp, the DT 990 Pro's are very neutral and natural sounding, as in the post above by razor5cl, he hears them as having a steep V shape spectrum which he says he likes, and I just had a conversation with electrolover about him feeling a bit disappointed in the lack of bass of the DT 990 Pros.

What are your previous set of cans? What is your source (meaning do you use a CD player, an Ipod, PC software player etc.) and are you running any EQ'ing, DSP effects, VST's or anything like that with any software players? And like you said, it is hard to imagine that the Magni would be adding that much bass to the cans, it's usually a pretty bright amp (subjectively speaking). What about your soundcard? You stated that when you plug the DT 990 pro's directly into it it sounded more flat, what soundcard is it? Have you tried using the a different DAC with the Magni? Maybe you could try connecting the Magni to your soundcard since you said with your soundcard it sounds a little more flat. If you connect the Magni to your soundcard then listen to the DT 990 Pros and it sounds real bass heavy then it could be the Magni, if after doing that, it still sounds relatively flat, then we could rule out the Magni as being the source and focus on the Modi, but I can't see that adding bass to the sound either.

Honestly I am a little stumped on this one, I am just trying to help you narrow down what could be causing the DT 990 pros to produce so much bass for you. Hopefully another member can chime in as well to offer suggestions and/or solutions. But I'll try to work with you the best I can to see if we can figure out what is causing this.

Hi, thanks for the very in depth response. Apologies that I don't answer all your questions right now but I'm not using any effects or anything like that. I'm running these off a PC with Foobar playing wav or 320kbps files, with Audigy 2ZS soundcard. My previous cans were DT770 Premium 32 ohm version. After more listening it is not so much the excessive bass but recessed mids that are bothering me - the bass is nice but the frequencies in the middle-high sound distant and unexciting, vocals just kind of get drowned out. I had a flat EQ but I decided to play with it to boost the mids and I like the sound a little more now.

I mostly listen to trance btw, it's a misconception that it's a basshead genre. A lot of its energy comes from the upper frequencies.

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #137 of 1,091
  Hi, thanks for the very in depth response. Apologies that I don't answer all your questions right now but I'm not using any effects or anything like that. I'm running these off a PC with Foobar playing wav or 320kbps files, with Audigy 2ZS soundcard. My previous cans were DT770 Premium 32 ohm version. After more listening it is not so much the excessive bass but recessed mids that are bothering me - the bass is nice but the frequencies in the middle-high sound distant and unexciting, vocals just kind of get drowned out. I had a flat EQ but I decided to play with it to boost the mids and I like the sound a little more now.

I mostly listen to trance btw, it's a misconception that it's a basshead genre. A lot of its energy comes from the upper frequencies.

Thank you for the reply. I actually find that on some of my cans, I have to do little tweaks with EQ as well to get the sound I am looking for. It all depends on what sounds good to you.

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #138 of 1,091
Very good headphones, I recently got them and they are great for electronic music, games, and movies.  Sadly my FiiO E18 has trouble driving them to medium-high levels depending on the track (Older tracks recorded at low volume are a pain.)

My creative Sound Blaster Z as well as my Onkyo TX-8555 Drive them relatively well, still need to try my sony STR-911 receiver.

I might want to get a dedicated amp for these headphones under $175, but heard these can be pretty picky with amps.  Any recommendations?

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #139 of 1,091
The Schiit Magni-Modi combo is well regarded

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #140 of 1,091
  Very good headphones, I recently got them and they are great for electronic music, games, and movies.  Sadly my FiiO E18 has trouble driving them to medium-high levels depending on the track (Older tracks recorded at low volume are a pain.)

My creative Sound Blaster Z as well as my Onkyo TX-8555 Drive them relatively well, still need to try my sony STR-911 receiver.

I might want to get a dedicated amp for these headphones under $175, but heard these can be pretty picky with amps.  Any recommendations?

Somewhat surprised to hear that E18 cannot drive these. I have them but want to swap for DT 770 pro, 80 ohm for something closed.

I assume the fit/comfort is the same between DT 990 and 770 pros, anyone confirm or explain the differences?

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #142 of 1,091
  Somewhat surprised to hear that E18 cannot drive these. I have them but want to swap for DT 770 pro, 80 ohm for something closed.

I assume the fit/comfort is the same between DT 990 and 770 pros, anyone confirm or explain the differences?

I'll trade you my DT-770 Pro 80s :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #144 of 1,091
Regarding the burn in which was mentioned in the previous page, I believe it's a fact. I've personally experienced differing sounds from the same headphone (2 separate pairs) with vastly differing levels of general use (1 hardly used vs 1 used constantly) and there was a distinct difference. Also when I had my pair of DT 990 Pro headphones returned to me from being repaired they sounded, how to put it, very very rough! Really cloudy sounding in general and I remember thinking to myself I don't remember these headphones sounding like this there's no way they were this bad....and once the evening played out that cloudiness was completely gone the next day and they sounded like the headphones I know and love again. 

Basically burn in is one of those things you have to experience but it definitely does exist, I know it, but think about it the drivers and mechanical parts vibrating from new etc of course there's going to be a bedding in period. Think of it as shaking off the stiffness, like a how a human takes a little time to run up to full their full pace stride.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #147 of 1,091
Cool, I actually have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm version that I got for $198.98 on Amazon but I wanted to get a pair of 600 ohm ones and when I saw that Beyer was having a sale on Manufaktur, I couldn't resist since they look so awesome with the blackout treatment + blue trim.  Ended up scoring some 600 ohm DT 880s Manufakturs as well since I currenltly only have the 32 ohm version.  They don't look quite as cool as the 990 Manufaktur though:

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #148 of 1,091
Nice!

My DT990 600ohm Manufaktur are all black (if I had to pick colours it would have been black with red trim):

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #149 of 1,091
Cool, I actually have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm version that I got for $198.98 on Amazon but I wanted to get a pair of 600 ohm ones and when I saw that Beyer was having a sale on Manufaktur, I couldn't resist since they look so awesome with the blackout treatment + blue trim.  Ended up scoring some 600 ohm DT 880s Manufakturs as well since I currenltly only have the 32 ohm version.  They don't look quite as cool as the 990 Manufaktur though:

Wait, are these real :)? Looks cool and different from what I'm used from Beyerdynamic. Although I'm not going to replace my DT990 (PRO 250Ω) :wink:.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #150 of 1,091
Wait, are these real
smily_headphones1.gif
? Looks cool and different from what I'm used from Beyerdynamic. Although I'm not going to replace my DT990 (PRO 250Ω)
wink.gif

They will be real after Beyer finishes building them.  That's a screenshot from their Manufaktur tool but, the real ones when they're done should be virtually identical.  I'll upload a picture when I get them.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back