DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #76 of 1,091
Do the pro and premium share the same innards?

Thx

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #78 of 1,091
Quote:
Do the pro and premium share the same innards?

Thx

From the sources I read here and there, the pro and premium does share the same driver and their frequency response/signature are very similar for all ohms.
Quote:
I´ll be getting these and the end of the march with fiio e10, so excited!

Those seems to be a nice match for the price you pay. I decided to go for the Asus Xonar STX as a better investment in the long run, and let us know how you like the sound of it with Fiio E10. I believe Fiio offers ASIO driver, so make sure you use that with a comp, cheers

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #79 of 1,091
Is it correct that the bass response on the DT 990 Pro (and possibly most other open cans due to their design) tends to emphasize mid-bass compared to sub-bass? Has anyone tried using an amp with EQ settings like the E17 to see if adding bass can boost the sub-bass a little bit without bringing the mid-bass overboard? Or is that just impossible due to the inherent nature of an open pair?

Also, sometimes I see mixed opinions about the isolation. Can you hear typing on a keyboard or (this one's a bit of a longshot) clicky devices that use microswitches such as arcade-style joysticks while playing audio at normal volumes on the 990?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #80 of 1,091
Is it correct that the bass response on the DT 990 Pro (and possibly most other open cans due to their design) tends to emphasize mid-bass compared to sub-bass? Has anyone tried using an amp with EQ settings like the E17 to see if adding bass can boost the sub-bass a little bit without bringing the mid-bass overboard? Or is that just impossible due to the inherent nature of an open pair?

Also, sometimes I see mixed opinions about the isolation. Can you hear typing on a keyboard or (this one's a bit of a longshot) clicky devices that use microswitches such as arcade-style joysticks while playing audio at normal volumes on the 990?

Thanks.

A mechanical keyboard? Definitely, and I can tell that without actually having tried the headphone :wink:, maybe decreasing the noise from the keyboard with o-rings if that's the case. A rubber dome keyboard? Maybe, someone else will have to say.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #81 of 1,091
Hey there, I have been a lurker for a while as I used this forum to help me decide on some quality HPs. I am very excited to say that I'm the proud new owner of the dt990 pros and so far they rock! I am using them for music and gaming with a schiit magni and mixamp and everything is such an improvement from my trittons/beats solo HDs that I had hooked up before. Can really pick apart the sounds and the bass for me is just great, not too heavy and very well defined. Lots of thanks to Mad Lust Envy and his posts here at Head Fi.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #82 of 1,091
I have had the DT990pro for about 3 months running through a cowon x7 and little dot MK IV - what a great combo. I did have the DT 880 600 ohm premium as my favourite and now they have been replaced by the cheaper 990 pro - the looks and feel of the 880 are much better in my view but the sound of the 990pro is just what I had been looking for and the 880 have just been sold  - as after numerous side by side comparisons i kept coming back to the 990pro.
I have been selling and buying numerous sets of headphones (Ultrasone, Sennheiser, AKG+ others) to try and find the best pair for me.
Amped these 990 pro are by far the most enjoyable headphones I have owned - unamped they are not in same league for some reason and at present I am trying to decide which is better out of the Sennheiser HD 598 and the Ultrasone pro 2500 for this purpose as these 2 are also great sounding headphones which I have kept out of all the others i have tried.
The AKG 701 or Sennheiser HD650 while really good headphones still did not give me the excitment of the 990pro and did not sound great unamped and ended up selling - Again for me the HD598 sounds better than the HD650 for enjoyment (blues, blues rock genre).
I guess everyone is different but value for money I give the 990pro 10/10  (by the way despite what the current forums say for a cheap portables I still keep coming back to my trusty sennhieser PX 100 for jogging, walking and out and about and the HD25-1 don't get much use at all)
The theme across all these headphones I have kept is great bass extension and good clear highs - for which the DT990 pro excel

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #83 of 1,091
I think the main reason people aren't as fanatical about these headphones is the coiled cable. It's awful imo. I think sending them to BTG audio for recable would help. I'm heavily considering this if I don't enjoy the Mad Dogs.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #84 of 1,091
I have these since a month or so. I'm not really impress with the lowend extension and lack of midrange. I love the highs tho.
Any mode exist to bring up the mids a little? Pads swap? They are really comfortable , that's why they are getting playing time

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #85 of 1,091
Quote:
I think the main reason people aren't as fanatical about these headphones is the coiled cable. It's awful imo. I think sending them to BTG audio for recable would help. I'm heavily considering this if I don't enjoy the Mad Dogs.

I can't see that being the reason, but it may well be. Personally I prefer coiled cables - thicker, more serious looking, plus I can play with it lol. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #86 of 1,091
Is there a version of the DT-990 that has slightly forward upper mids? Highly doubt it.
I swear I just saw a graph where it appears that there was. Probably not. I know this would not make much sense with the extra bass and treble.

Before Head-Fi I had an old DT-990 and always loved it. This was even along with a K701. I had it for 3 years and never once knew (or thought) it was considered bass heavy
biggrin.gif

It was a version without the blue circle around the cups. I imagine it was the 250 ohm version.

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #87 of 1,091
So i bought these and love them. But the cable drags me down, so i guess i´ll return them and buy pro version with straight cable. In one store here they sell DT 990 pro 250 ohm with straight cable for 195$ so nice!

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #88 of 1,091
Quote:
So i bought these and love them. But the cable drags me down, so i guess i´ll return them and buy pro version with straight cable. In one store here they sell DT 990 pro 250 ohm with straight cable for 195$ so nice!

:D What store is this??

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #90 of 1,091
Speaking of coiled cables...
This is how I've overcome that obstacle, sadly, it looks pretty ugly on my desk and it's made a kink in the coil. However, I no longer have the coil pulling on my head, so the headphones are super comfortable to wear now.

These cans aren't amped or plugged into a sound card - just my PC's stereo jack. How necessary would you say a DAC/Amp is, and what would you recommend? I'm comfortable with the sound levels already. They stay at my desk so I don't need anything portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back