DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #46 of 1,091
WHAT?????????????????
You mean I can't have TONS of bass, forward mids and lots of treble? Oh man and all the thousands of dollars i've spent on headphones...and only now you tell me this!!
Only kidding..

I wonder if the DT-770 Pro 80 has more forward sounding mids than the DT-990 250. Probably not. I had the Pro version and it's mids were so recessed it made it unlistenable.
It's be nice if the 250 ohm PRO had the same design and more neutral bass.

I actually had the DT-990 for 3 years once and think it was the 250 ohm version. What's funny is that I don't remember a single thing about it. I went the whole 3 years not for once thinking it was bass heavy
confused_face_2.gif

AND I hate the K701 at the same time too.

I didn't find the DT-770 Pro 80 excessively bassy in any area except for it's sub-bass. I don't remember it having any massive mid-bass hump. I hate those. The guy at the store told me it's very neutral! Ok, whatever.

Pro 80 is worth having just for the comfort alone.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #48 of 1,091
Finally got my DT990 Pro's and absolutely loving them. Coming from speakers and in-ears i found headphones i actually like, started thinking headphones where not for me at all.

I will say that these headphones do sound really harsh on highs when not amped. Which is fine because these wont be leaving the house and never were meant to. Running them from Xonar Essence ST on a high gain 300 ohms mode. 
Bass is just perfect at delivering enough of body and it in the right pace for the kind of fast paced funk, acid jazz and house. No doubt these have V shaped signature, but like i said i did find significant difference especially on highs when properly amped.

Do need to do slight cleaning on my computer and remove rest of the MP3 320kbps audio tracks. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #49 of 1,091
SIGNED!!!

I can't believe there isn't more chatter on these forums about the 990 pros.  I see a lot of 880 and 770 chatter, but nothing really about the DT 990 Pros.

These cans are amazingly versatile.  Kind of has a V shape sound signature, but the mids are not recessed by any means.  With good amplification, the lower mids really kick in and adds to the fullness.  With proper amplification, the sound signature becomes more flat, which is a good thing.  The 250Ohm is misleading because these cans really need good amplification to get that full-spectrum sound experience.  I love listening to them on my Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver.

If you own a warm laid back pair of cans, say Sennheisers, the Beyer DT990 Pros provide great synergy.  Let's face it, sometimes we just want to hear something different.  And I find bouncing back between my HD650s and DT990Pros provides that for me.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #50 of 1,091
I find although they are popular they are in a higher ranking .I have a only one pair of headphone but i enjoy them very much.
Lately i have been intrigued by the HD650,really looking forward to buy new at reasonable price,but i just need to sell my beyers in order to afford a pair of 650,so i will still have one pair.Anyway if i wont like the Sennheiser i can easily sell them and buy a newer version of DT990 and Manufaktur-ing them too (i have a pro 2005 -i suppose- model).

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #51 of 1,091
Quote:
Finally got my DT990 Pro's and absolutely loving them. Coming from speakers and in-ears i found headphones i actually like, started thinking headphones where not for me at all.

I will say that these headphones do sound really harsh on highs when not amped. Which is fine because these wont be leaving the house and never were meant to. Running them from Xonar Essence ST on a high gain 300 ohms mode. 
Bass is just perfect at delivering enough of body and it in the right pace for the kind of fast paced funk

Body in the low end is what they had, but had lacking impact and didn't feel direct enough for me. I couldn't figure out if it was just how the headphone was or they needed a much better amp (I used the ST amp too). I should have tried them with my asgard, but I didn't have it then :frowning2:

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #52 of 1,091
This thread is totally making me want to buy the 990pros again. I had to return them because the right driver stopped working. They did sound amazing but one thing I couldn't stand was the coiled cable. Is there a way to straighten out the cable if I do buy them again?
Thanks head-fi :)

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #53 of 1,091
Quote:
Body in the low end is what they had, but had lacking impact and didn't feel direct enough for me. I couldn't figure out if it was just how the headphone was or they needed a much better amp (I used the ST amp too). I should have tried them with my asgard, but I didn't have it then :frowning2:

Body is what a good amp gives the DT990s.  I'm sure you've heard me say it b4, but my Yamaha Receiver does MIRACLES for the DT990.  Warm, impactful, analytical bass.  Kind of a rare combination.  Each bass note maintains its own element without flowing into the next.  But each bass note strikes like a jackhammer

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #55 of 1,091
I love the DT 990 Pro's, I would say they represent one of the best value in headphones except for the seemingly average internal build quality with regards to the wiring. Sound quality is phenomenal though - I would say for definite that these are the best headphones for movie watching at this price. And for anything better at any price point it'd be stiff competition because for movies these headphones are damn near ideal. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #56 of 1,091
I got a agree with others about these being great value and i'm still surprised how dead this thread is. 
This is not the headphone to get if you are planning to hook it up directly to your iPod, but when paired with PC and good amp these are amazing. You can wear these 6 hours without even noticing them and they are made for uptempo music, games and movies.

I'm most of all a speaker guy, but i still use DT990's pros over my way more expensive Genelec 2.1 system on my PC for movies and on music styles like groove, acid jazz and funk. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #57 of 1,091
Hey all,
I'm new to the forums, bought a B-Stock pair of these from Andertons (UK guitar store) for £99 on saturday.

I love these things.

then again, I'm saying this coming from a pair of turtlebeach X1s (......yeah).

I have noticed that these things do need amping, I currently have them plugged into the motherboard output, which I feel is bottlenecking them (if that's even the term you'd give it).

I do have a few questions though, would getting a decent sound card fix the need for an amp or vice versa? or would I need both an amp and soundcard? What affordable amp/soundcard would best do this?
Also, do these headphones come with a manufacturers warranty?
Thanks in advance

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #58 of 1,091
Quote:
Hey all,
I'm new to the forums, bought a B-Stock pair of these from Andertons (UK guitar store) for £99 on saturday.
I love these things.
then again, I'm saying this coming from a pair of turtlebeach X1s (......yeah).
I have noticed that these things do need amping, I currently have them plugged into the motherboard output, which I feel is bottlenecking them (if that's even the term you'd give it).
I do have a few questions though, would getting a decent sound card fix the need for an amp or vice versa? or would I need both an amp and soundcard? What affordable amp/soundcard would best do this?
Also, do these headphones come with a manufacturers warranty?
Thanks in advance

Do you have a home a/v receiver?  Because one option before you invest in a dedicated amp is to spdif from your onboard to the optical port on the receiver and try it that way.  If you have HDMI, you can use hdmi audio stream to accomplish same thing.  Try that and see if the sound is good.  I find my Yamaha receiver to be the best amp for the DT990s.

If you don't, then I wouldn't get a soundcard.  I would get a dac/amp with a usb input.  You will get a lot more bang for the buck this way.  Depending on your budget and needs, there are a ton of options.  Once you clarify what the budget, portability and other needs are, I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations.

But you are right, DT990s will get a lot of warmth from a good amp.  Mid-lows will really fill in amped.  But because DT990s are otherwise so bright, I find a good "warm" amp to be a good pairing.  But like I said, a lot will depend on your needs and budget.

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #59 of 1,091
Do you have a home a/v receiver?  Because one option before you invest in a dedicated amp is to spdif from your onboard to the optical port on the receiver and try it that way.  If you have HDMI, you can use hdmi audio stream to accomplish same thing.  Try that and see if the sound is good.  I find my Yamaha receiver to be the best amp for the DT990s.

If you don't, then I wouldn't get a soundcard.  I would get a dac/amp with a usb input.  You will get a lot more bang for the buck this way.  Depending on your budget and needs, there are a ton of options.  Once you clarify what the budget, portability and other needs are, I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations.

But you are right, DT990s will get a lot of warmth from a good amp.  Mid-lows will really fill in amped.  But because DT990s are otherwise so bright, I find a good "warm" amp to be a good pairing.  But like I said, a lot will depend on your needs and budget.

A Sony cmt-cp11 doesn't count as one of them does it? It has an MD in and a video in ports on the back (both the red and white port things)
Other than that I don't have anything else sadly.

I understand that this isn't really the thread to ask about a dac/amp. Where should I go to inquire about this?

thanks

back to the topic of the DT 990s, what headphones might I be interested in buying to accompany these? I was thinking of getting some m50s to use out on the move, as the 990s stay at my computer.

EDIT: ^ Yeah ignore all of that ^

Another thing, how long have 990 pros been out?

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #60 of 1,091
Any recommendations for portable amp for DT990 Pro? 
To me DT990 Pro at best are average when driving them directly from my motherboard, but shine when connected to my separate amp or Essence XT. I would wanna have some kind of portable amp to drive DT990 pro when travelling to my parents and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back