DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #31 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Is the dt990 head grip stronger than the sennheiser vice grip or more comfortable.I had to put my hd555 around books a number of nights before I got a comfortable head grip.If i dont use it for a while it gets tight again.Thinking of dt990 but dont want to be in headache hell.If they are tight will a night with some books do the trick or ruin the headband? thanks Matt

the new 990's are very comfortable - more so than the old 880's to me. You shouldn't have any issues there.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #32 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
The dt990s do seem like the ideal price/comfort/performance headphones, however how the hell do you guys drive these things without an amp?

My experience with the 990s is that the more you burn them in, the less they require an amp to sound good.

Unless you're an avid fan of the grado sound, 990s really are fantastic value for rock, without all the discomfort from grado pads
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #33 of 1,091
Feb 17, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #34 of 1,091
Quote:

Is the dt990 head grip stronger than the sennheiser vice grip or more comfortable.I had to put my hd555 around books a number of nights before I got a comfortable head grip.If i dont use it for a while it gets tight again.Thinking of dt990 but dont want to be in headache hell.If they are tight will a night with some books do the trick or ruin the headband? thanks Matt

Like others have said above me, they are (to me) more comfortable than Sennheisers. After a while it's almost as you forget that they are even there. The DT990 is a great pair of headphones hands down. They have however not been used much lately due to my growing Grado fanism.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #35 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
Like others have said above me, they are (to me) more comfortable than Sennheisers. After a while it's almost as you forget that they are even there.

Agreed. I compared mine to HD580s, and preferred the 990s for comfort. (As well as sound, but thats just me
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #36 of 1,091
Hey all. New to the forum. I am a new owner of DT990 Premium 250 headphones. I have a feeling me and these phones are going to be spending a lot of time together. I am pleased with the sound right out of the box. I am no audiophile and I have slight to medium high-frequency hearing loss so I wanted to make sure I got phones that accentuates the frequencies that I have problems with. The bass is very nice and I find myself just jamming out.

I will be using these mostly through my 010 Pioneer VSX 1020 AVR. The headphone jack gives me four settings to play with: Direct, ALC, Stereo and Surround. Testing with Sirius channels on Dish: Direct seems somewhat muted. ALC might be a little to bright. Stereo is just about perfect. Surround is ok. I plan on testing that more while playing COD and Dead Zone II on my PS3. Over time, these should  only get better. If so,  I doubt I amp them anytime in the near future.

I also plugged them into my Dell E5410 laptop and they are plenty loud enough. I bought these mostly to game on but I wanted to jam out on some Rock and Liquid Metal. These are fabulous for this type of music. Sound leakage is not bad at all. I actually was pleasantly surprised by this. With my wife sitting next to me she only hears the phones when the tv is muted and dead silence.

Overall, I am I think I made the right decision to go with the 990's instead of the 880's.

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #37 of 1,091
Quote:
The dt990 is the best headphone value out there. Period! . . . . . I spend about equal time listening to these and the PS1's, so they have some lofty competition.

- augustwest

agreed. IMO these are one of the best Bang for the Buck headphones you can get.
I really dont understand why they are so cheap. But not complaining.

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #38 of 1,091
Quote:
Quote:

Like others have said above me, they are (to me) more comfortable than Sennheisers. After a while it's almost as you forget that they are even there. The DT990 is a great pair of headphones hands down. They have however not been used much lately due to my growing Grado fanism.

I kinda disagree but its my ears only. People all have different ears.
I do not like how Beyers pad is a donut shape that does not fully cover the ear but slightly touch the top and bottom of my ear.
Over time it does hurt a bit. Other than that I am here to appreciate the can like everyone else 
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #39 of 1,091
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION, BATMAN! Dsan, you're replying to a 6 year old post.

On topic, for the $170 that they can be found for... I highly doubt anything comes close to their quality. They are simply too stellar at that price range, and bassheads looking for open cans need to give these a listen.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #40 of 1,091
How would an Arrow 12he 2g run the 250 ohm versions?  Do you think it would have enough oomph?  For $200, do you think these would be better than AKG Q701's?  Thanks in advance.

Steve

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #42 of 1,091
On topic, for the $170 that they can be found for... I highly doubt anything comes close to their quality. They are simply too stellar at that price range, and bassheads looking for open cans need to give these a listen.

Oh my lord. Never realised this thread is 6yrs old!!!
For some reason your "batman" is bloody funny and I am still laughing
Lol

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #43 of 1,091
Quote:

How are the mids on the can? Some people say they are recessed, some people say the are fine.
And is the bass controlled or flabby?

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #44 of 1,091
Most of them say the mids are recessed because is it true,i own a pair and yes is a little recessed but not congested or mixed with the low region.
The bass is phenomenal ,but some Daft Punk ,you wont be disappointed.Unfortunately is a bright headphone too,so sometimes ,depending on the recording it will be a little harsh,but overall i am happy with this Cans,especially with Rock,Metal and Techno-House-Trance.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #45 of 1,091
Yes, by headphone LAW, bass and treble oriented headphones are mid recessed. No such thing as a bass and heavy headphone that isn't mid recessed. That being said the DT990 has VERY detailed mids. Literally on par with the DT880's mids, just that the bass and treble are more aggressive.

The bass is among the very best I have heard for bassy cans, which are strong, but quick. They aren't obtrusive either.

Oh, I'm talking about the Premium DT990s. The DT990 Pro's bass is a bit too strong for me personally, but I was sensitive to the bass frequencies that the DT990 Pros emphasize, which is an issue I have even with cans that have less bass. I don't think other people would be as bothered as I am by the bass.

The bass is well controlled. It's impact just hits me like a mack truck though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back