DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
The dt990s do seem like the ideal price/comfort/performance headphones, however how the hell do you guys drive these things without an amp?

Yes, I certainly feel that they crave for more beefier amp than my GoVibe.

However, with only GoVibe, I still like their sound better than my HD595 (except for female vocals and classical). The low-end power and bass
basshead.gif
certainly hit the sweet spot without being boomy or muddy.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 1,091
picked up the new dt990's this pm & have been listening to them at work straight out of the box (too impatient to burn them in properly before listening) & they sound superb (to my non-expert ears at least). They look great & are comfortable. Sound wise they are spacious & detailed - much like the 880's (the only other 'phones I can compare them with). Bass seems more prominent than the 880's. Early impressions obviously, but spine-tingling stuff so far ... will try them through the Aria when I get home later ...

Ian

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 1,091
How are these phones with mp3 players?Im thinking of getting one to use with my PA2V2 amp and creative zen xtra but only if the 250 ohm impedence doent prevent them from working efficiently with my components.

Feb 15, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 1,091
... love them. Going to stick my neck out & say they are more involving, warmer & just a more enjoyable experience listening to them than the (old) 880's.

Somebody might say they are less 'accurate' or 'realistic' - but I can lose myself more easily in the music with the 990's. I often found myself thinking about the music with the 880's, the detail is exceptional - but perhaps too 'analytical'.

Anyway, maybe this is just a honeymoon thing. Anyone else got the new 990's?

Feb 16, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #22 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervinos
... love them. Going to stick my neck out & say they are more involving, warmer & just a more enjoyable experience listening to them than the (old) 880's.

Somebody might say they are less 'accurate' or 'realistic' - but I can lose myself more easily in the music with the 990's. I often found myself thinking about the music with the 880's, the detail is exceptional - but perhaps too 'analytical'.

Anyway, maybe this is just a honeymoon thing. Anyone else got the new 990's?

Please keep posting your burn-in impressions Ian, I am really tempted to order some of these! How do detail levels compare to the DT880s? Something similar with that extra bass punch for listening to rock/pop/urban material is what I'm after.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. Where did you order your DT990s from?

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #23 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervinos
... will try them through the Aria when I get home later ...

Have you tried them yet with the Aria?
I'm loving the 2003's so much. powering them through the Aria it's just like those two were made for each other. At first I thought I missed some of the mid-high section but after extensive listening and switching back and forth between the DT990, HD600 and SR-30's I grabbed back to the DT990's every time, all the time. These are my primairy home phones for now! Together with the Aria they give me bliss both in front of the computer as on the sofa.

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #24 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
Please keep posting your burn-in impressions Ian, I am really tempted to order some of these! How do detail levels compare to the DT880s? Something similar with that extra bass punch for listening to rock/pop/urban material is what I'm after.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. Where did you order your DT990s from?

Detail to me is similar - but the 880's sound too bright in comparison now (through the aria). The new 990's are maybe what you are after - definitely hearing more punch in the bass & I like that. Also a warmer & more involving sound. I got them from thomann.de for about £130 including shipping & bank transfer fee (£10),

Ian

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #25 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
Have you tried them yet with the Aria?
I'm loving the 2003's so much. powering them through the Aria it's just like those two were made for each other. At first I thought I missed some of the mid-high section but after extensive listening and switching back and forth between the DT990, HD600 and SR-30's I grabbed back to the DT990's every time, all the time. These are my primairy home phones for now! Together with the Aria they give me bliss both in front of the computer as on the sofa.

I really liked my 880's & the aria - but it is no contest at the moment with the 990's. The 990 is giving a fuller, punchier, warmer sound that suits my musical tastes (Dylan, radiohead, massive attack, nick cave, antony & the johnsons, odd bit of classical). Really, really liking the aria / 990's combination. The aria seems to be a neutral & detailed amp & the 990's is adding the warmth & punch that I like,

Ian

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
Yea, practically no isolation and the leak almost as bad as grados.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Though they are open cans, they don't leak ANYWHERE near as bad as Grados, not even close.

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #27 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er
Yes, I certainly feel that they crave for more beefier amp than my GoVibe.

However, with only GoVibe, I still like their sound better than my HD595 (except for female vocals and classical). The low-end power and bass
basshead.gif
certainly hit the sweet spot without being boomy or muddy.

My Go-Vibe powers them quite well (sounds best w/ an OPA2132 opamp), but I hooked them up to me Sony 100w stereo receiver's headphone jack, added a little bass and treble and shazam! Rock music is simply crushing through them...

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 1,091
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
How are these phones with mp3 players?Im thinking of getting one to use with my PA2V2 amp and creative zen xtra but only if the 250 ohm impedence doent prevent them from working efficiently with my components.

Just tried out of my karma, and they run beautifully. I dont know if thats more of a testament to my karma or the 990s, but its pretty cool either way

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #29 of 1,091
Is the dt990 head grip stronger than the sennheiser vice grip or more comfortable.I had to put my hd555 around books a number of nights before I got a comfortable head grip.If i dont use it for a while it gets tight again.Thinking of dt990 but dont want to be in headache hell.If they are tight will a night with some books do the trick or ruin the headband? thanks Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back