DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #1,006 of 1,091

While the DT 990 is a great headphone for the money, I was able to directly compare them with the T 90, and the T 90 was a significantly better headphone in every way.

And I actually preferred the T90 over the T1 2nd Gen.

While the DT 990 may be the sweet spot for a $200-$300 headphone, if you have the extra cash, spending a little more for the T 90 (it's currently under $500 on Amazon.com), will get you a noticeably better headphone that will give you years of enjoyment and give most over-$1000 headphones a serious run for their money.
wink.gif

Terms like subtle or significant are very subjective indeed.
What I meant is that in the big scheme of things DT990 gives you pretty much everything a headphone can give (if you like its sound signature).

Cristal clear treble = yes
Realistic midrange = yes
Big soundstage = yes
Undistorted bass = yes
Lots of fun = yes
Good confort = yes
Quality built = yes

From a technical point of view, you'll get improvements from other headphones, that's granted, but they won't change the overall experience. I'm not in favor of the hyperbole perspective. I even know a good amount of people who actually prefer DT990 over T90 so that says something. More so, there's a whole thread with people preferring K701/2 over HD800.
In the end, it's always wise to try before buy, because personal preferences are often more important than technical improvements at this level.

With respect to the T1.2 comment, I understand your position.
I think Beyer tuned the T1.2 to please a warmify-ing market, more than to please previous Beyer fans. That's why I've decided to stick with the T1.1

People listening to lower quality recordings might prefer the T1.2

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #1,007 of 1,091
I noticed today that my Magni gain was set to high, didn't realize it. Turned it off and it seems to have reduced some of that high end "harshness". I also lowered the volume on my source to 80% and eliminated some clipping. These two things seemed to make some subtle improvements in sound quality.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,008 of 1,091

While the DT 990 is a great headphone for the money, I was able to directly compare them with the T 90, and the T 90 was a significantly better headphone in every way.

And I actually preferred the T90 over the T1 2nd Gen.

While the DT 990 may be the sweet spot for a $200-$300 headphone, if you have the extra cash, spending a little more for the T 90 (it's currently under $500 on Amazon.com), will get you a noticeably better headphone that will give you years of enjoyment and give most over-$1000 headphones a serious run for their money.
wink.gif

I do have higher end cans, but I do enjoy these two badboys, I find myself reaching for 'em everyday when I game, watch a movie and for music:

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,009 of 1,091
  Terms like subtle or significant are very subjective indeed.
What I meant is that in the big scheme of things DT990 gives you pretty much everything a headphone can give (if you like its sound signature).

From a technical point of view, you'll get improvements from other headphones, that's granted, but they won't change the overall experience. I'm not in favor of the hyperbole perspective. I even know a good amount of people who actually prefer DT990 over T90 so that says something. More so, there's a whole thread with people preferring K701/2 over HD800.
In the end, it's always wise to try before buy, because personal preferences are often more important than technical improvements at this level.

With respect to the T1.2 comment, I understand your position.
I think Beyer tuned the T1.2 to please a warmify-ing market, more than to please previous Beyer fans. That's why I've decided to stick with the T1.1

You do have a point.  When it comes to anything subjective, one man's "better" can often be another man's "worse".

Case in point. I totally agree with you about the T1.2.  IMHO, Beyer went waaay overboard with their tuning of the newer Beyers (like the T1.2, T5p.2 and DT 1770) and they all sound pretty dull and boring to me when compared to the older Beyers.  But to people who don't like treble-forward sounding headphones, the new Beyers will be an 'improvement' to their ears.

Horses for courses, I guess.  
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,010 of 1,091

You do have a point.  When it comes to anything subjective, one man's "better" can often be another man's "worse".

Case in point. I totally agree with you about the T1.2.  IMHO, Beyer went waaay overboard with their tuning of the newer Beyers (like the T1.2, T5p.2 and DT 1770) and they all sound pretty dull and boring to me when compared to the older Beyers.  But to people who don't like treble-forward sounding headphones, the new Beyers will be an 'improvement' to their ears.

Horses for courses, I guess.  
rolleyes.gif

I actually quite like the newer Beyers, I find the DT 1770 to have an extremely sweet and musical midrange that I don't find many Beyers have, may not be as bright as past Tesla Beyers, but it shines in other aspects. Numerous vintage Beyers are actually on the darker side as well. Though I personally like both dark and bright headphones.

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,011 of 1,091
Could somebody tell me how different the sound signature is on these compared to the Philips Fidelio X2s?

Just getting into this scene now.

I recently picked up some 990 Pro 250 ohms and kind of having buyers remorse. I lost the cardboard frame in the box so I can't return them for a full refund. I wouldn't mind getting both but only if it's going to provide a different experience.

I've read the DT990s benefit a fair bit from an amp (which I don't have), whereas the X2s don't really require one. I get the impression an amp would be useful after using them.

Thanks.

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,012 of 1,091
  Could somebody tell me how different the sound signature is on these compared to the Philips Fidelio X2s?

I recently picked up some 990 Pro 250 ohms and kind of having buyers remorse. I lost the cardboard frame in the box so I can't return them for a full refund. I wouldn't mind getting both but only if it's going to provide a different experience.

I've read the DT990s benefit a fair bit from an amp (which I don't have), whereas the X2s don't really require one. I get the impression an amp would be useful after using them.

Thanks.

DT990 is airier and more analytical while X2 is more cohesive and softer. The Beyer is more refined but less forgiving of poorly recorded material.
I prefer the Beyer but personal preferences play an important role at this point. Both are quality headphones.

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #1,013 of 1,091

DT990 is airier and more analytical while X2 is more cohesive and softer. The Beyer is more refined but less forgiving of poorly recorded material.
I prefer the Beyer but personal preferences play an important role at this point. Both are quality headphones.

Thanks for the response.

Do you think they are significantly different to warrant getting both or would a HD600 provide a better alternative.

I know all this stuff is subjective, so it's difficult for you to provide me with an answer but I do really appreciate it.

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,014 of 1,091
  Thanks for the response.

Do you think they are significantly different to warrant getting both or would a HD600 provide a better alternative.

I know all this stuff is subjective, so it's difficult for you to provide me with an answer but I do really appreciate it.

I have enjoyed my Senn HD 600's for many years, but I find the DT-990 Pro 250 to be a more "exciting" listening experience

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,015 of 1,091

Thanks.

The X2 is bassier and has less treble so it's a bit more relaxed, the DT990 is sharper and can be more "impactful". They'll be a different experience, but really the primary difference you'll hear is with that treble spike. I think audiophiles often get too caught up in "imaging" and whatever else. If you're listening on that much of a microscopic level you're missing the forest for the trees. 

What I will say is the DT990s sound ridiculously dull just straight out of my PC's headphone jack because there just ain't enough power. At 100% they're a decent listening level but it's nothing exciting. Amped is a whole different ballgame.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #1,016 of 1,091
  Thanks for the response.

They are significantly different, but both are still on the "fun" side.
HD600 would be a better complement in my opinion. It's a more intimate and softer headphone that's great with vocals.

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,017 of 1,091
Put in maybe 20 hours on my 250 ohms and I think I've already spoiled my loudness tolerance!!

When I first got them I was on low gain / 40% volume on my Magni 2 (no DAC, just the amp) and I thought it was loud. Now I turn the volume knob more and more to the right everyday to achieve the same loudness. I'm at about 60% now, still low gain, but I'm starting to hear clipping (I think).

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,018 of 1,091
  Thanks for the response.

All of the headphones your asking about will benefit from having proper amplification. I think you should look at spending at least $60-100 on a budget amp, it is worth it. Otherwise I would suggest going with "lower end" options.

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,019 of 1,091
Finally got a Modi 2 uber to go with my Magni 2. I've been using these cans without a DAC this whole time, just the amp and my iPad. Such a huge difference, more clear, better sound stage, clearer and more present base, totally worth getting both at the same time.

However, if I'm picking up distortion on the low end of just a handful of songs, given the quality of the headphones and the stack, could that distortion just be from production?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back