DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #616 of 1,091
Just found this blog post by a guy who seems pretty knowledgeable about audio and came up with these settings. Anybody care to try his EQ settings?

http://dtmblabber.blogspot.se/2013/05/beyerdynamic-dt990-600-ohm.html

The filter set looks like this:

filter 1:  690Hz     Gain  5dB  Bandwidth 1.02oct.
filter 2:  2737Hz   Gain  3dB  Bandwidth 0.84oct.
filter 3:  3750Hz   Gain -2dB  Bandwidth 4.06oct.
filter 4:  4525Hz   Gain  5dB  Bandwidth 0.37oct.
filter 5:  7294Hz   Gain -6dB  Bandwidth 0.51oct.
filter 6:  8977Hz   Gain -6dB  Bandwidth 0.28oct.
filter 7:  13300Hz Gain -5dB  Bandwidth 0.48oct.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #617 of 1,091
I just got my premium headphones. I like them a lot but I was surprised about the comfort factor. The cups are a bit tight (even on the premium version that I own) and the head band lacks padding. After about 2 or 3 hours the top of my head hurts.

I'm thinking that I'll just get used to the added pressure. I've been using a pair of HD 595 everyday for literally 7 years now, so I imagine psychologically---if not physically---I'm used to that feel.

If the head pain doesn't let up in the next few weeks I'm thinking about returning them and going for a HD 600.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #618 of 1,091
If the head pain doesn't let up in the next few weeks I'm thinking about returning them and going for a HD 600.

I was between the DT990 and HD600 but after some convincing from a fellow Head-Fi member, I went for the latter.

Coming from the Audio Technica TAD400 which made my ears hurt after only 15-20 minutes, the HD600 feels incredible. I guess you already know that from your previous Senn experience but hell, I was blown away. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #620 of 1,091
Don't EQ just use foam on top of the drivers. Tube amp could probably make them sound less sibilant.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #621 of 1,091
In my opinion, I think the dt990 and the dt880 is made to be used in the studio. They sound VERY analytical and detailed, but they lack  a human touch that consumer oriented headphones have and I think its made to analyse the higher frequencies in the mix primarily.  To be fair, beyerdynamic mentions studio use on the packaging and their website.

A simple but wonky analogy would be its like a phone or computer. The beyerdynamic sound resembles a product without the exterior stuff to make it look like something a human can relate to, and shows you the wires, transistors, battery etc. Not very pleasing to look at and IMO its not something I need to see, but its very technical.

To be fair, I feel the same about the highly regarded  Sennheiser HD800.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #622 of 1,091
Don't EQ just use foam on top of the drivers. Tube amp could probably make them sound less sibilant.

EQ in this case will work better than foam or a tube amp. But if someone wants to try a physical mod to humanize the treble, ask around to find pads that came with the original DT 990 in the 1980s and see what they do on the modern 990. The vintage 990 is awesome for its smooth treble, yet if you put on the modern 990 pads, you get a treble much like in the modern version, leading me to assume that the treble is in the pads more than anywhere else.

Then let me know the result.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #623 of 1,091

EQ in this case will work better than foam or a tube amp. But if someone wants to try a physical mod to humanize the treble, ask around to find pads that came with the original DT 990 in the 1980s and see what they do on the modern 990. The vintage 990 is awesome for its smooth treble, yet if you put on the modern 990 pads, you get a treble much like in the modern version, leading me to assume that the treble is in the pads more than anywhere else.

Then let me know the result.

I have a bit of sibilance and shrillness in the treble in my 990 250ohm version. The brightness/sparkly of the treble isn't too bothersome but is fatiguing while the sibiliance was a little more bothersome - both were solved by pairing with a tube amp. FWIW I use a Project Sunrise II from Garage 1217 with a PSvane 12AU7 tube. HAven't looked back or had a single regret since going on 18 months with each. About to add a nice DAC and perhaps even improve.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #624 of 1,091
I've had my 990 PROs for about half a year now, I got them refurbished, which was the only way I could afford them at the time, but I love them a lot. I can't exactly post much about them, since I only have the Grado SR80i to pit them against, but when I get the HiFiMAN HE-500 I'll be able to make a more detailed review on all three cans. Just want to say that going from the SR80i to the Beyer was definitely a jump in performance and sound reproduction, fun as the grados are.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #627 of 1,091
The original 990 pads, left, are massively different from the modern 990 pads.

The difference in sound is equally massive.
Original pads ↘                                                                 Modern pads ↘

So I believe this pad swap is worth a try on the modern 990.

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #628 of 1,091
im not a pro audiophile or anything like that. my previous phones were HD 518, HD 600 and Q701. i also listened to HD 650 for sometime, and i conclude, DT 990 Pros are THE best among all of these. reason being that bright and sparkly treble. Bass feels awesome when the rest of sound feels more live and more visible. mids are little toned down but honestly not too much. i can easily recognize these among the other cans i listed here. they are THAT great!

sound signature feels a lot more like HD 650s but the bass feels a little deeper, with more thump. more oomph to it. the highs at the same time being bright, gives me goose bumps, LITERALLY!

yes i will accept that highs are bright. and in the beginning i didnt like it too much. it actually been only 50 hours i used them and i can already notice the difference in that treble is getting a little less. may be its placebo effect or my ears getting used to them. it would be resolved by time, that im pretty sure of now!

i take too much care of my stuff. i keep my cans in very soft cloth custom made bag.since i got them, last time i kept my 600s in its bag and its still there. these are that great.

im currently powering them from my Fiio E18 Kulun AMP&DAC. i know its not enough, but they still sound great. there is a little hiss or distortion when i connect them for first time, play something and when i increase the volume from PC. after that its just fine. there is no noise when i do this while nothing is playing.

i think its because E18 is not powerful enough what do u guys think? is it ok? 

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #629 of 1,091
Better choice were X1 + E12 .......
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #630 of 1,091
  The original 990 pads, left, are massively different from the modern 990 pads.

So I believe this pad swap is worth a try on the modern 990.

That graph looks amazing, and shows why I don't really like the DT990 pros very much. Any idea on where to get original pads, or what they're called in terms of how to search for them. Looking for original pads on Ebay doesn't really give me the results I would like.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back