DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #631 of 1,091
I've read posts talking about running the dt 990 pro 250's straight out of an ipod... that surely can't come anywhere near to being listenable?

Mine are just sitting in their box doing nothing, just waiting to be plugged into something good! Unfortunately I don't have anything good to plug them into yet. Now, I have a Marantz CD 5004, which has a "current buffered headphone amp" inside. That gives 18 mW into 32 Ohms "variable maximum". Now that is surely more powerful than an ipod! Is 18 mW into 32 Ohms "variable maximum" (whatever variable maximum means) powerful enough to run 250 Ohm cans? They sound pretty weedy to my ears through the Marantz. 

The Marantz has got to be more powerful than an ipod/MP3 player! And what the hell is a "current buffered headphone amp" anyway? Also Would using an under-powered set up be harmful to the source or the headphones?

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #632 of 1,091
An amp makes a small subtle difference, its not like omg I cant listen to this because its straight out of the ipod and without an amp. Me myself, I can barely hear a difference between with and without amps.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #633 of 1,091
An amp makes a small subtle difference, its not like omg I cant listen to this because its straight out of the ipod and without an amp. Me myself, I can barely hear a difference between with and without amps.

Out of sheer curiosity, what amp and source material are you using? And, is the amp plugged into your iPod?

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #634 of 1,091
I have tried schiit lyr, fiio E12, O2, Magni and Vali and all my source files are from spotify. I remember I did a factory reset on my iphone and the settings in spotify went back to "normal quality", which is probably 128kbs or something. I didnt even realize it because for a long time, I thought it was 320, didint hear anything different to be honest, maybe a bit sharper treble, you have to really sit there and compare to see differences, its very small.

The built in amp and dac in the ipad/iphone/mac today are already powerful enough to drive audiophile headphones, in my opinion. Buying  amps and dacs are redundant, unless you want more volume.

I think enjoying the music and stop worrying to much about the gear is the most important, for me at least. Each to their own!!

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #635 of 1,091
I have tried schiit lyr, fiio E12, [COLOR=3B3B3B]O2, Magni and Vali and all my source files are from spotify. I remember I did a factory reset on my iphone and the settings in spotify went back to "normal quality", which is probably 128kbs or something. I didnt even realize it because for a long time, I thought it was 320, didint hear anything different to be honest, maybe a bit sharper treble, you have to really sit there and compare to see differences, its very small.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=3B3B3B]The built in amp and dac in the ipad/iphone/mac today are already powerful enough to drive audiophile headphones, in my opinion. Buying  amps and dacs are redundant, unless you want more volume.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=3B3B3B]I think enjoying the music and stop worrying to much about the gear is the most important, for me at least. Each to their own!![/COLOR]

I'd likely feel the same way, if my music diet consisted of 128kbps MP3s. Good luck to you.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #636 of 1,091

Interesting. I can hear a pretty huge difference with and without amps (a bit more so with higher impedance headphones that is, obviously there's less of a difference with low impedance headphones). My dt 990's (250 Ohm) sound massively different. Amped they sound solid, open, rich, dynamic, space around instruments, well defined sound-stage, etc. Unamped they just sound thin, flat, and lifeless, just all round very weak. So as a result of that they shall remain in their box until I can get hold of a decent quality amp. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #637 of 1,091
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I only listen to CD's. I had a small flirtation with ipod's etc, 320 AAC, etc. I wasn't too impressed. The sound wasn't offensive, I just prefer a more expansive sound. The higher up in the headphone chain one gets, the worse lossy formats sound imo.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #640 of 1,091
Interesting. I can hear a pretty huge difference with and without amps (a bit more so with higher impedance headphones that is, obviously there's less of a difference with low impedance headphones). My dt 990's (250 Ohm) sound massively different. Amped they sound solid, open, rich, dynamic, space around instruments, well defined sound-stage, etc. Unamped they just sound thin, flat, and lifeless, just all round very weak. So as a result of that they shall remain in their box until I can get hold of a decent quality amp. 

My experience, as well.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #642 of 1,091
Personally, I notice a huge difference between amped and unamped; plugged into my iPod, the sound is distorted and tinny, and the sound stage shrinks considerably.  Fiio e10k is a great match- they get plenty loud even on low gain with volume set to 2/8. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #643 of 1,091
I feel noticeable difference in sound quality when using a dedicated amp and dac. I am using Dt 900s with Aune X1 pro which is a dac/amp combo and the sound is great and much better compared to the sound straight out of the my hp laptop, Ipod shuffle, Ipod touh first gen, htc one, blackberry q10 and even my cowon c2 which was the best sound I had before Aune.
talking about the loudness even my ipod shuffle can drive dt990s to listenable levels but sound is thin, tinny and harsh. Bass sounds just like a mess.
Driving loudly and driving properly and with authority are two different things for me.
Cowon C2 sounds congested to me and sound is also a bit muddy.
All my Devices run 990s loud enough to listen but sound quality is questionable.
I am enjoying Aune X1 pro as its having warm and tubey sound which tames the highs of dt990 and provide lush tone to it hence making it more enjoyable and for the first time I was able to differentiate flac and mp3s.
My hd650s also pairs and sounds well with this set up

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #644 of 1,091
Regarding amped vs unamped to me there's a big difference between the two on my 990 Pro headphones. And I'm on a budget so my audio rig in no way has uber god-like equipment, it's very modest but decent enough. 

Any way when I plug my headphones in to say my iPad Mini and load up a YouTube music video or song guess what? To me it sounds fine for listening to and enjoying. I have to max the volume to get moderate - high moderate levels obviously but it sounds decent enough I've definitely heard worse! 

However when I've the luxury of plugging my headphones in to my rig which is the 02 DAC and a really cheap tube amp and play one of my lossless vinyl rips it's on a whole other level! It feels like there's a difference in the air pressure - every instrument hits with far more force and air surrounding it everything has room to breathe and everything has more passion to it.

Unamped they sound pretty good IF the source is anywhere near decent, on some laptops it sounds flat and horrendous, but amped with a good DAC it sounds amazing!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back