DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #841 of 1,091
I have a pair of Alessandro MS1 and was thinking of upgrading to and MS2. However, at $150 the DT990 Pro 250 ohm Pro (Black edition) is half the cost of the MS2.  Would the DT990 be an improvement over the MS1? And how would the DT990 compare to the MS2? I primarily listen to older rock (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd) and my Onkyo A-5VL integrated amp has a great headphone amp output so I will not be using a separate headphone amp.

I appreciate your input since Head-Fi pointed me the the MS1 many years ago. 

Rick

Better in the bass region so your Pink Floyd, etc will take on a new, fuller life. It's very good at portraying bass rhythms and has the effect of bringing rock music in particular to life. The value for money in terms of build and sound of these is extremely good.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #842 of 1,091
Just picked up the limited edition for Xmas after my originals had a driver die and the cord separate from the case. Anyway, the limited edition straight cable is long. I mean, really long. I thought I would like it better cause I found the coiled cord would catch on things but this thing is unruly long. Anyone have a trick they use so you can actually walk down the street without tripping?

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #843 of 1,091
Anyone have a trick they use so you can actually walk down the street without tripping?

Don't.
Just don't.

It's not made for the streets and there's a couple of reason why the 990 would be bad for portable use.
Unless you live in a secluded quiet place that is.
You can always tie it up with twist ties (preferably near the plug) and wear cargos or stash your player and cable to a bag.
But overall, still a bad idea. I've actually tripped on someone's cable before (it was either a 7506 or a V6).

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #844 of 1,091
Don't.
Just don't.

It's not made for the streets and there's a couple of reason why the 990 would be bad for portable use.
Unless you live in a secluded quiet place that is.
You can always tie it up with twist ties (preferably near the plug) and wear cargos or stash your player and cable to a bag.
But overall, still a bad idea. I've actually tripped on someone's cable before (it was either a 7506 or a V6).

I've had the originals for 3 years and had no problem around the streets of NYC and the subway. Since it's loud nobody notices they are open. I just am disappointed the cable is so long without the option to swap it out and looking for a work around. I'd rather not jam it all in my pocket which already has my phone, amp and connecting wires.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #845 of 1,091
I just got the Sony UDA-1 amd/dac and using it with the DT 990 LE, such an amazing combination, really tames upper ranges and is so clear, dynamic, smooth, and euphoric with them on the built-in amp. Built-in amp not so great with my Nighthawks, but it does sound great with them used as a DAC with an external amp. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #846 of 1,091
Cadmito - did you get the DT990 Pro 250 ohm all black version?  If they came with a straight cord, where did you get them?  I want a straight cord but the Focus Camera site says they are coiled.  I've emailed Focus Camera and Beyer for clarification but do not expect to hear from them for a few days.  Thanks,

Rick

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #847 of 1,091
Cadmito - did you get the DT990 Pro 250 ohm all black version?  If they came with a straight cord, where did you get them?  I want a straight cord but the Focus Camera site says they are coiled.  I've emailed Focus Camera and Beyer for clarification but do not expect to hear from them for a few days.  Thanks,

Rick

Got it from focus camera. If it's the LE it's not coiled. Go for it!

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #848 of 1,091

Rick

The LE has a straight cable. I also got mine from Focus Camera through Amazon.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #849 of 1,091
I've had the originals for 3 years and had no problem around the streets of NYC and the subway. Since it's loud nobody notices they are open. I just am disappointed the cable is so long without the option to swap it out and looking for a work around. I'd rather not jam it all in my pocket which already has my phone, amp and connecting wires.

My concern goes to your ears though... You must be listening at dangerously loud volumes to get your music audible.

There's just no comfy way of getting around the cable. They aren't meant for portable use, unless you're at least 8 ft tall. They're meant for home/studio use that let's move around a bit without detaching the headphone from your source.

Best advice would be to get some nice closed portables or IEMs.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #850 of 1,091
To everyone that replied to my posts and contributed to this thread, thank you got the advice.  I've just ordered a pair from Focus Camera (via Amazon).  I'm sure I will enjoy them.    

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #851 of 1,091
My concern goes to your ears though... You must be listening at dangerously loud volumes to get your music audible.

There's just no comfy way of getting around the cable. They aren't meant for portable use, unless you're at least 8 ft tall. They're meant for home/studio use that let's move around a bit without detaching the headphone from your source.

Best advice would be to get some nice closed portables or IEMs.

Appreciate the concern but I don't listen to them any louder on the subway than I do at home or walking down the street. I was implying that the ambient noise of a busy city hides the fact that I'm wearing open headphones. I DO have a pair of Sennheiser IE80s that I wear a lot but I prefer the sound of the 990s and plus in the winter they keep the ears warm.

I won't give up looking for a solution to the long cable. I have a friend who can probably make it permanently shorter by cutting, soldering, that sort of thing. Cheers.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #852 of 1,091
Appreciate the concern but I don't listen to them any louder on the subway than I do at home or walking down the street. I was implying that the ambient noise of a busy city hides the fact that I'm wearing open headphones. I DO have a pair of Sennheiser IE80s that I wear a lot but I prefer the sound of the 990s and plus in the winter they keep the ears warm.

I won't give up looking for a solution to the long cable. I have a friend who can probably make it permanently shorter by cutting, soldering, that sort of thing. Cheers.

Cutting and soldering a wire is so easy to do, I'm pretty sure you can do it yourself ._.

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #853 of 1,091
I did a little experiment today. I have a spare pair of 990Vb black pads and thought I'd give them try on my 990pros. As I suspected they made the headphones much brighter and more silibant . Closer to the sound people (wrongly)describe the 990 to have(usually I believed they haven't heard them or are using them with unsuitable equipment) Not very pleasant bordering on the unlisteable with some vocals

It was a pleasure to get the silver pads back on and enjoy the superb sound I've been used to.

I can only guess the LE has some internal mods to them or users prefer a much brighter headphone than me if they like the black padded SE. If you don't then go with the standard silver velour is my advice.

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #854 of 1,091
Should add they are less comfortable than the silver pads which are made from a softer velour imo.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #855 of 1,091
Got my 990 Premium (250 ohm) last week - paired with my Fiio E12. Absolutely love them. Between my Audio-Technica AD900X, Im set for basically every genre. I use the Beyers for essentially everything electronic - for the deep bass impact (amazing - one of a kind? - for an open phone) and the Technica for instrumental music (all genres). Stil playing around with genre matching though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back