DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #811 of 1,091
  I just got these (250 ohm version) on an insane deal from Amazon after hearing about them for many years.  I like "fun" headphones, and these are the epitome of fun. The build quality is top notch and the comfort, well, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (even more so than the Sony XB-700 pillows). I run them off of a Fiio E10K on high gain with volume around 7/10, and I just wonder if I'm not doing them justice.  Any suggestions as to an upgraded desktop amp/dac that also has a 3.5mm line out to power my Klipsch speakers?  Budget is tight, no more than $300.

I know a little too late, but i dont get this. I have e10 and dt990 250ohm and on fiio i have only low gain 3/8 volume and its really loud, they even run out of LG G2 really loud on max volume.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #812 of 1,091
Are the only differences between a pro version and the LE version just cosmetic?

I see that someone earlier has said that the black pads might produce less bass, but no one has yet commented much on the black version.

Strange that they might have changed the density of the foam in the black pads.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #813 of 1,091
Are the only differences between a pro version and the LE version just cosmetic?

I see that someone earlier has said that the black pads might produce less bass, but no one has yet commented much on the black version.

LE is pro version with straight cable.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #816 of 1,091

I just got the LE's today. Quite similar to the regular DT 990s sound wise maybe a bit brighter, but the pads and dampening(black fabric you can see through the grills has a different texture to it than the original DT 990 Pros) seems to be a bit different. I'll need to break the headphone in a bit, especially the pads to come on conclusive conclusions as I found the original DT 990 to become less bright and warmer after a decent amount of use. The pads don't quite have the same soft/cool feel as the grey pads and the foam seems to be denser. It's hard to tell if they are different as it's been a while since I heard the original Pro's. I'm also coming from the dark and warm Nighthawks, need to adjust to such a drastically different sound signature. Straight cable is a nice change as it makes them a lot more comfortable.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #817 of 1,091
it's different sound.

the LE "seems" brighter only because the bass sounds tighter due to the pads.

original is warmer with muddier bass.

so yeah, matter of preference, 2 different presentations.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #818 of 1,091
Could be the old pads have squashed down a bit. With AKGs, the newer harder pads for K702 and 712 seem to produce more bass rather than less.

Maybe more damping on back of drivers?

Wondering about trying one of the LEs because a dt990 with slightly less in the bottom might sound quite nice.

I wish companies would give a bit more detail in descriptions for 'SE' or 'LE' editions. It seems a bit cheeky putting out special editions that are just a different colour.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #820 of 1,091
Could be the old pads have squashed down a bit. With AKGs, the newer harder pads for K702 and 712 seem to produce more bass rather than less.

Maybe more damping on back of drivers?

Wondering about trying one of the LEs because a dt990 with slightly less in the bottom might sound quite nice.

True, the new pads for AKGs do definitely produce more bass than worn ones. After I cleaned the pads of the K712 they became warmer and bassier closer to the sound I got when they were new. While with the Beyers and Senn HD 600/650 they become warmer as the pads compress.

Possibly more dampening or a different material, haven't opened them up yet. The pads remind me a bit of what was found on the DT 440 I had, but they are also a bit different. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #821 of 1,091
If you have both, the comparison would be really useful since so little has been said about the LE other than the colour. I can't imagine Beyer changing the basic sound sig but maybe 'trying' to improve it, which was what I was hoping, because I like the dt990pro although it has exaggerated extremes.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #822 of 1,091
No surprise the LE is brighter it's the black pads that do it. sound quite different as has already been covered on here. Swap those around and the opposite will be true.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #823 of 1,091
Well, if there's more damping behind the drivers, in effect, it should be slightly 'quicker' in the bass, which would give it a lighter feel subjectively.

I've arranged for a friend in the Hifi trade to lend me one tomorrow. Quite interested if the bass is a bit cleaner.

I've normally found that bass becomes a little more prominent with denser material, but that might be compensating for extra damping, which is what I'm curious about.

Shame if it's just a colour change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back