DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #856 of 1,091
Does anyone else have a pair of DT880 to compare with DT990s? I have seen the graph that shows the curve response of each to closely resemble each other. But listening to 880s, although with much recessed treble and bass compared to the 990, the mids are so crisp and forward that it almost makes DT990s seem defective.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #857 of 1,091
  Does anyone else have a pair of DT880 to compare with DT990s? I have seen the graph that shows the curve response of each to closely resemble each other. But listening to 880s, although with much recessed treble and bass compared to the 990, the mids are so crisp and forward that it almost makes DT990s seem defective.

I auditioned DT770-250 and DT990-250 a while back and dt990s recessed mids are what put me off for the most part and made me buy dt770 instead.

I also auditioned DT880-250PRO recently and I have to say it's more alike to my dt770-250 than anything but overall sounds much smoother and natural. Both have very forward mids, a little bit more so on dt880.

On the other hand I really want to give dt990 another chance lol. There was just something about it. Interesting bass texture and very spacious sound is what stood out. Also, more comfortable than a closed back :p
I'm just not sure would I get adjusted over time and grow to like dt990s mids.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #858 of 1,091
This is the funny thing about sound: objectively (frequency response graphs), the dt 990s have neutral mids to ever-so-slightly recessed. its just the boosted bass and treble that seems to make everyone think the mids are recessed.

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #859 of 1,091

True.  Though many V-shaped headphones sound like that.  And many people like that sound.  DT880 does sound "correct," but DT990 is more fun if you like more bass and more highs and a bigger soundstage and more air.  

Due to the DT880's less low end, the sound has a lack of heft and thickness to it, despite the mids being more forward.  

Maybe my ears are getting worn out, but I think the main difference between the two is the bass.  When I switch between the two, the first thing I notice is the bass difference.  People often talk about the DT990's highs, but I don't think the DT880's are all that different.  Though of course there is a difference.

One thing that impresses me about both headphones is the detail.  An AKG 701 has more separation, but it doesn't have as much detail.  Detail probably isn't as obvious a difference between headphones, but the more I've listened to them and compared them, the more things like that stand out, and I miss it when it's not there. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #861 of 1,091
Just put it on your head and listen. Then tell us if it sounds different the following week.

There is no need to shove headphones in with your socks for 300 hours. It sounds beautiful out of the box and mine hadn't deteriorated in any way after 300 hours. :wink:

My advice ..... Just use them and don't worry so much!!!

Btw, it's a great headphone; especially given its price.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #862 of 1,091
Thanks Ian.
I got this asking with AKG's Q701 but I love the Beyer more so far, and I agree, it sounds impressive for its price.
The Q is more neutral/analytical compared to the DT990. Just spent like half hour with the Q and an hour with the Beyer.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #863 of 1,091
I am, interested enough to score a DT900/600, so loving it. I use it for listening to pop and rock music via my iFi Micro iDSD or Fostex HPA4 (depending on which rig I'm using at the time). It's great for gaming as well. A pic of my DT990/600, excuse the HE400i, I'd taken a pic of them together but have since returned the HE400i....

Hi Mikey, sorry for bringing up your old post but since I have interest in the 400i as an additional can beside my newly acquired DT990Pro 250ohm, would you phase share why you have returned your 400I?

Edit: just saw your response to another poster for returning your 400I. Thank you.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #866 of 1,091
Modded my 990's with a detachable cable - works well and looks nice, I think!

Hey man is that a X5 (X3?) that's driving the HPs? I am interesting in a decent portable player for my .Flac collection. 

Also, is that 250Ohm 990?

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #868 of 1,091
Positive first impression for the Asgard 2 when compared to the iBasso D14
The Asgard 2 adds body, the sound opened up a little bit, adds slight warmness, increases soundstage, tightens up the bass, clearer/smoother sound. Needless to say the very slight distortion I used to have with the D14 when upping the volume past 2-3 o’clock on high gain is gone now, which is expected given the spec difference between these amps.
Please note that all changes are slight, nothing extreme, but it’s there, for my ears, YMMV.
Test performed on AKG Q701 and Beyer DT990Pro 250 ohm

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #869 of 1,091
So...I kinda spotted all black DT990 PRO on amazon and figured what the hell, been poping up as a suggestion for me always. But damn I did not expect them to sound so close to my speakers, there are certain issues that stood out when first listening to them, but now that I am used to them, they are less noticable, but still there. But as far as I am concerned these are now my current favorites and they give me wall hack in games so winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back