DT990 or Modded Fostex T50rp
Jan 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #16 of 59
Audio is all opinion based, only reason I dislike this hobby. Where do you happen to live? Maybe I can look around
size]

Belvidere, Il area. A little outside of it actually

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 59
I think T50RP will need some pretty serious modifications to compete with DT990. A professionally modded T50RP will cost quite a bit more than what you can get the DT990s for aonce d I don't. believe that the extra cost will be justified, unless you are really after that specific closed orthodynamic headphone sound. In some aspects, like detail resolution, dynamics, soundstage, extension at both ends and refinement, the Beyers will beat any T50RP IMO. Heck, they compete with my HE-500 in those areas.

I'm really happy you said this because after lots of reading on the 990s I came upon the T50rp threads and it made them sound like they were gods gift to the headphone world once modded correctly and I couldn't stop reading about both headphones.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 59
The great thing about the DT990s was how well they could separate bass from the rest of the frequencies. Somehow it stayed completely out of the way but was still clearly audible, and more importantly, felt. It was the closest to a real subwoofer and the best sounding bass I've ever heard from a headphone. I didn't think it was overpowering, but that depends on who you ask. It's too much for some people. Unfortunately I didn't keep the headphones because the treble was just too much. I loved them in every other area, though.

That is exactly what I'm looking for in bass. Awesome!

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 59
Quote:
Quote:
Audio is all opinion based, only reason I dislike this hobby. Where do you happen to live? Maybe I can look around
size]

Belvidere, Il area. A little outside of it actually

Went to the closest area, Chicago
size]
. Looked online and it said your an hour and a half away, not too bad, but still a drive. Unfortuanetly, I looked at 4 stores and they only carried Grado?? Other than that, there were 2 audio shops I looekd at near you(maybe not audio shops) that didn't look good at all. Sorry, man
size]

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #20 of 59
Went to the closest area, Chicago
size]

. Looked online and it said your an hour and a half away, not too bad, but still a drive. Unfortuanetly, I looked at 4 stores and they only carried Grado?? Other than that, there were 2 audio shops I looekd at near you(maybe not audio shops) that didn't look good at all. Sorry, man
size]

Hey, sh happens. At least Ive got you all to help! Haha thanks though

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:
If I can afford the 880s is it worth the price jump? Or even 990s used? I don't mind buying and letting them sit until I get an amp if it means I'm getting a good deal.

Well, both are pretty good. But the 990's have virtually nonexistant mids due to the super boosted treble and bass. 880 are more neutral and have a nicer midrange along with good highs and a bit of a bass emphasis. DT770 Pro 80 is sort of in between.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:
Well, both are pretty good. But the 990's have virtually nonexistant mids due to the super boosted treble and bass. 880 are more neutral and have a nicer midrange along with good highs and a bit of a bass emphasis. DT770 Pro 80 is sort of in between.

I am sorry, but this is such a grossly exaggerated statement. The mids are somewhat in the background compared to the lows and highs, but they are still excellent - neutral, clear, extremely detailed and very natural sounding IMO. In fact, I feel that DT990 produces more detailed mids than DT880. I would say that coming from ATH-M50, which is also somewhat V-shaped with booming bass and sharp highs, the DT990 sound will suit jfinne16 better than DT880. DT880 is quite neutral, but a bit too polite in the bass IMO and while DT990 bass is arguably excessive, I only feel that it is slightly so and for a lot of music I appreciate the extra heft at the bottom end that DT990s offer since they make up somewhat for not being able to feel the low frequencies the way you can with speakers.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

I am sorry, but this is such a grossly exaggerated statement. The mids are somewhat in the background compared to the lows and highs, but they are still excellent - neutral, clear, extremely detailed and very natural sounding IMO. In fact, I feel that DT990 produces more detailed mids than DT880. I would say that coming from ATH-M50, which is also somewhat V-shaped with booming bass and sharp highs, the DT990 sound will suit jfinne16 better than DT880. DT880 is quite neutral, but a bit too polite in the bass IMO and while DT990 bass is arguably excessive, I only feel that it is slightly so and for a lot of music I appreciate the extra heft at the bottom end that DT990s offer since they make up somewhat for not being able to feel the low frequencies the way you can with speakers.

+1

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:
I'm really happy you said this because after lots of reading on the 990s I came upon the T50rp threads and it made them sound like they were gods gift to the headphone world once modded correctly and I couldn't stop reading about both headphones.

Well, the Fostex cans are great value for their price, but DT990 is also great value for their price. DT990 is simply a higher end headphone in almost every way. Fostex does use a potentially superior orthodynamic driver in its cans, but it doesn't realize the full potential of orthodynamic drivers, whereas DT990 is almost the epitome of dynamic driver design and has fewer flaws.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Well, the Fostex cans are great value for their price, but DT990 is also great value for their price. DT990 is simply a higher end headphone in almost every way. Fostex does use a potentially superior orthodynamic driver in its cans, but it doesn't realize the full potential of orthodynamic drivers, whereas DT990 is almost the epitome of dynamic driver design and has far fewer flaws.

How about when putting them up against the Mad Dogs? Also I'm not sure if you have the answer to this or not but what is the must neutral sounding Beyer? I got the 880 250ohms and it was way too bright for me

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:
How about when putting them up against the Mad Dogs? Also I'm not sure if you have the answer to this or not but what is the must neutral sounding Beyer? I got the 880 250ohms and it was way too bright for me

Any particular reason you're set on Beyer? Plenty of great sounding neutral headphones out there.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

I don't have a modded T50RP to compare to my DT990s, sorry. A professionally modded T50RP can sound great I am sure, but I still doubt that it can compete with such great open back orthos like HE-500, LCD2 or better. DT990 can compete with high-end open back orthos quite well. I think the dynamics actually do some things better. In any case, such a well modded T50RP will be quite a bit more expensive than what you can get DT990 for anyway, plus the OP is coming from the V-shaped ATH-M50 and likely doesn't want a neutral bass and treble response - I am sure he wants a nice kick and sparkle and T50RP won't give him that. Well, at least not the sparkle. I think that the soft ortho sound also takes time to get used to coming from dynamic drivers and it's not a very good idea for a beginner audiophile to jump straight from the lower end dynamics to higher end othos. I am sure that for the OPs tastes, DT990 will be more suitable anyway.

I believe that DT770 Pro is more neutral than DT880/990, but only the Pro version. I think T1 is also more neutral, or at least softer sounding - not as aggressive and harsh as the DT series can be. I think the somewhat thin sound with a slightly exaggerated attack in the highs is one of the few weaknesses of the Beyer DT770/880/990 series cans.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

I don't have a modded T50RP to compare to my DT990s, sorry. A professionally modded T50RP can sound great I am sure, but I still doubt that it can compete with such great open back orthos like HE-500, LCD2 or better. DT990 can compete with high-end open back orthos quite well. I think the dynamics actually do some things better. In any case, such a well modded T50RP will be quite a bit more expensive than what you can get DT990 for anyway, plus the OP is coming from the V-shaped ATH-M50 and likely doesn't want a neutral bass and treble response - I am sure he wants a nice kick and sparkle and T50RP won't give him that. Well, at least not the sparkle. I think that the soft ortho sound also takes time to get used to coming from dynamic drivers and it's not a very good idea for a beginner audiophile to jump straight from the lower end dynamics to higher end othos. I am sure that for the OPs tastes, DT990 will be more suitable anyway.

Isn't the newer version of M50 relatively neutral? I don't recall OP saying he had the old version.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:
Isn't the newer version of M50 relatively neutral? I don't recall OP saying he had the old version.

Oh, all those revisions! I have no idea. My experience however leads me to believe that if there are any changes, they are very minor and that the general signature of the M50 remains unchanged - it's still V-shaped in all cases. I owned a pair 3 years ago and it was quite V-shaped. I auditioned another pair at a local store about a year ago and it was similarly V-shaped. Finally, I heard the limited edition recently and it is also very similar sounding to the previous pairs I heard. So yeah...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back