DT990 or Modded Fostex T50rp
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

jfinne16

New Head-Fier
So I'm returning some recently bought ATH M50s and a Fiio E6 amp to Amazon. I really liked the M50s but I kept getting crackling sounds through some of my music no matter how I listened to it. Also, in general they just weren't for me. That being said, Ive got about $200 Amazon gift money and want other headphones. Yesterday I stumbled on the Fostex T50 thread and couldn't get off.

How hard would it be to do the Rastapants mod to some T50rp's? It looks and sounds promising I'm a college kid with no experience taking apart headphones. I know the basic layout but I don't want to ruin them.

Amazon also has 250ohm DT990s used for around $190. I've read great things about them and they also sound promising.

With either headphone I'd save and buy an amp. Most likely a desktop amp in the $100-150 range.

*btw lots of people seem to think the e6 doesn't make a difference on the M50s but after burn in time I heard huge differences in the mids!

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 59
if I was you I would look on the For Sale section for a pair of Mr Speakers Mad Dogs. Not sure whether you know about them or not but they are awesome! You may be able to get them for around 200 but you will need an amp to drive them as well.

If you don;t want to take that route you may be able to find someone on here that could mod your T50RP's for you.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 59
http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/leftover-holiday-sale.html $200 if you are in the US. otherwise $10 more. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:
http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/leftover-holiday-sale.html $200 if you are in the US. otherwise $10 more. 

Quote:
if I was you I would look on the For Sale section for a pair of Mr Speakers Mad Dogs. Not sure whether you know about them or not but they are awesome! You may be able to get them for around 200 but you will need an amp to drive them as well.

If you don;t want to take that route you may be able to find someone on here that could mod your T50RP's for you.

Thanks guys. The only problem is that I have an Amazon Gift Card. But mayflower or the For Sale section do sound better. I could possibly exchange the gift card for money from a family member. If I can't do that, do you recommend the DT990s? A friend has a pair and absolutely loves them but I've yet to listen to them and his are the 600ohms. Also, do you think the O2 amp is sufficient for T50s?

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 59
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks guys. The only problem is that I have an Amazon Gift Card. But mayflower or the For Sale section do sound better. I could possibly exchange the gift card for money from a family member. If I can't do that, do you recommend the DT990s? A friend has a pair and absolutely loves them but I've yet to listen to them and his are the 600ohms. Also, do you think the O2 amp is sufficient for T50s?

O2 would be great, and I'd recommend the DT880 over the DT990, whats your music preferences?

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 59
O2 would be great, and I'd recommend the DT880 over the DT990, whats your music preferences?

Oh man. Everything. Lately I've been into a lot of classic rock. I also like "symphony" type music such as classical or movie soundtracks. I used to listen to lots of hip hop but not so much anymore(except older Jay-Z).

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 59
Quote:
Quote:

Oh man. Everything. Lately I've been into a lot of classic rock. I also like "symphony" type music such as classical or movie soundtracks. I used to listen to lots of hip hop but not so much anymore(except older Jay-Z).

Maybe the DT990 then.. I'd wait for more opinions to chime in, the DT990's are only $183 used right now actually. I'm waiting for the DT880 600 ohm to drop in price right now, so I'm scouting all prices!
size]

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 59
Maybe the DT990 then.. I'd wait for more opinions to chime in, the DT990's are only $183 used right now actually. I'm waiting for the DT880 600 ohm to drop in price right now, so I'm scouting all prices!
size]

Yeah the price is why I considered them. The problem with these boards is the constant mixed reviews. I just saw a review where someone said the 990s were the worst headphones they've heard :frowning2: and others say the opposite. Its not cool when there's nowhere nearby to test

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 59
I can't comment on the Fostex, but the DT990's that I had (600 ohm) were very good. If you like bass, go for them instead of the DT880. Even though it's pricier, I think it would be worth it to save up for the 600 ohm version instead of settling for an inferior pair. I've seen them for less than $200 used on Amazon before. Just know that if you are even slightly sensitive to treble, stay far, far away from the 990 or 880.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 59
I can't comment on the Fostex, but the DT990's that I had (600 ohm) were very good. If you like bass, go for them instead of the DT880. Even though it's pricier, I think it would be worth it to save up for the 600 ohm version instead of settling for an inferior pair. I've seen them for less than $200 used on Amazon before. Just know that if you are even slightly sensitive to treble, stay far, far away from the 990 or 880.

No problems with treble. I'm not a basshead though I'm not qualified to know what lots of bass in a headphone is like. I love bass don't get me wrong but when headphones are bassy is it exaggerated and does it drown out anything? I thought my m50s could have some better lows if that means anything

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 59
I think T50RP will need some pretty serious modifications to compete with DT990. A professionally modded T50RP will cost quite a bit more than what you can get the DT990s for and I don't believe that the extra cost will be justified, unless you are really after that specific closed orthodynamic headphone sound. In some aspects, like detail resolution, dynamics, soundstage, extension at both ends and refinement, the Beyers will beat any T50RP IMO. Heck, they compete with my HE-500 in those areas.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:
Quote:
size]

Yeah the price is why I considered them. The problem with these boards is the constant mixed reviews. I just saw a review where someone said the 990s were the worst headphones they've heard
frown.gif
and others say the opposite. Its not cool when there's nowhere nearby to test

Audio is all opinion based, only reason I dislike this hobby. Where do you happen to live? Maybe I can look around
size]

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:
No problems with treble. I'm not a basshead though I'm not qualified to know what lots of bass in a headphone is like. I love bass don't get me wrong but when headphones are bassy is it exaggerated and does it drown out anything? I thought my m50s could have some better lows if that means anything

The great thing about the DT990s was how well they could separate bass from the rest of the frequencies. Somehow it stayed completely out of the way but was still clearly audible, and more importantly, felt. It was the closest to a real subwoofer and the best sounding bass I've ever heard from a headphone. I didn't think it was overpowering, but that depends on who you ask. It's too much for some people. Unfortunately I didn't keep the headphones because the treble was just too much. I loved them in every other area, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back