Dt990 600 ohms and OTL Tube amp
Jan 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
I found a source for 5998 tubes.  The reviews on the vendor are mixed.  Some positive reviews and some negative.  The price seems ok.  PM me if you want more info and you're willing to take a chance on this vendor.

pm me plz, if its cheap enough i'll take the chance.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #19 of 21
Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. There are improvements for each components (dac/amp) upgrade. However the differences are not stellar as I imagined (mostly from reading here lol - reaching potentials, make 'em sing and stuff).

Now I kind of wondering if there are a "break point" where I could get substantial improvement. However if that point means $500 amp $500 dac I might as well get some new cans
tongue.gif

Quote:
I didn't find much of a difference in my DT990 600Ω going from an iPod to a Little Dot MKII and HRT MSII.  The slightly noticeable ones were tighter bass.

Also Happy Lunar New Year everyone!

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #20 of 21
Slightly off topic here (I have DT880 600ohms).
I use a La Figaro 336C with my DT880 600 ohms.
I like the warmth and sense of space it adds to the DT880s.
One caution though, while the stock tubes are acceptable, if you replace them with some good NOS tubes you get a very worthwhile upgrade in sound quaility.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
I didn't find much of a difference in my DT990 600Ω going from an iPod to a Little Dot MKII and HRT MSII.  The slightly noticeable ones were tighter bass.

Thanks for saying this for me - I was too scared to say it myself in this thread but I definitely agree with you. I was expecting more of an improvement going from my MacBook to a Crack w/ 5998. The only noticeable difference to me was the controlled highs (no longer as piercing) and the bass. Honestly, the improvements are just not worth the $300 I paid for the amp and tube. That's why I sold the Crack. Perhaps other headphones respond better to this amp than the DT990/600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back