Dt990 600 ohms and OTL Tube amp
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

khaine1711

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

This is a sort-of long post, there's a tl;dr version at the bottom if you don't wanna browse through my rambling ;d

So I heard most people here at Head-fi pairs their Dt990 with an OTL tube amp (Dv336se, Crack, G3, WA2/3 ...etc). Most of the impression from my extensive searching is "tame the high, brings out the mid, extend/tighten the bass" aka "makes them sing". I'm sort of on my way to an OTL tube amp until today when I had the chance to audition the Grado Rs1i, supposedly the "tamer, more refined" version of Grado 325is.

Well it sounds nothing like I imagined. To me it sounds quite boring; basically like a warmer, more controlled at bass than my Dt990; too "analog" for my taste. The whole audition makes me rethink my next purchase (an OTL tube amp around ~200-300). 
I'm really afraid that the tube amp will "tame" my dt990 into something I do not love. 

tl;dr:

So I want to ask all dt990 owners with OTL tube amps out there (880 also counts as dt990 and 880 sounds kind of similar):

-How much difference does an OTL tube amp make on dt990/880? Specifically in the bass/mid/high department. 
-Which route should I take if I only want my Dt990 to have some more texture in bass (without losing any impact), brings out the mid and keep the sparkly high in tact? And minimal loss of details if possible. 
-Should I still go for an OTL tube amp? Some tubes rolling combo recommendations are most welcome!!

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 21
I can answer your question!

I have the DT990s.  I use them on both a tube amp (Woo 3) and a solid state amp (Asgard).

In general, the headphones sound great on both amps.  They definitely need good amping.  The differences between the amps are subtle, but there.  On the tube amp, the treble doesn't sizzle as much.  This is very noticeable.  Also, the 990s have a slight V-shape eq curve, so the mids are slightly recessed.  On my tube amp, they have a little midrange bloom, which fills in the mids a little with different harmonic voices.  Very nice.  On the solid state amp, the mids are, well, still a little recessed.

Bass is about the same on both.  In summary, the amps play a little bit with the mids, a lot on the highs, and not so much on the bass.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 21

Good to hear its sound sig doesnt change much with tube amp. Which power tube are you using if you dont mind me asking?
I'm pretty much illiterate  about tubes in general  so I want to note down everything for future ... "endeavour" 
redface.gif

And what do you mean by "harmonic voice"? Does the midrange get ... louder (like when you play around with EQ setting)? or the voice got sweeter/warmer?
Quote:
I can answer your question!

I have the DT990s.  I use them on both a tube amp (Woo 3) and a solid state amp (Asgard).

In general, the headphones sound great on both amps.  They definitely need good amping.  The differences between the amps are subtle, but there.  On the tube amp, the treble doesn't sizzle as much.  This is very noticeable.  Also, the 990s have a slight V-shape eq curve, so the mids are slightly recessed.  On my tube amp, they have a little midrange bloom, which fills in the mids a little with different harmonic voices.  Very nice.  On the solid state amp, the mids are, well, still a little recessed.

Bass is about the same on both.  In summary, the amps play a little bit with the mids, a lot on the highs, and not so much on the bass.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 21
I use mainly the Tung-sol 5998 power tube.  But, those have been hunted to extinction, so sometimes I pull it to save on its life.  I've been known to use a Chatham 6AS7G, an RCA 6AS7G, and the Svetlana 6N13C.  They are all warmer than the 5998, but lack the bass authority.  The bass is there, but not as precise and impactful.

By midrange harmonics, I mean that there is a little bloom and harmony between the notes.  It's not louder.  There's just more harmony.  It's a nice effect.  It's not overbearing.  In fact, it's very subtle, but I welcome it.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 21

I have heard so many good things about the tung-sol 5998 
eek.gif
. Where do you guys usually get yours? Last time i check there were 3 Tung-sol 5998 on ebay from $200-250 each.

Hmm those descriptions are really ... tempting. I hope most OTL tube amps are similar in sound so I can experience that effect. The WA3 is like double my budget for tube amp atm :<.

Also I  have noticed the WA3 uses 2x 12A tubes, whereas the Bottlehead crack use 1, and the Darkvoice 336 uses 1 6as7 tubes as driver tubes. Does anyone know what's the pro/cons of those designs? (also sonic differences?)
Quote:
I use mainly the Tung-sol 5998 power tube.  But, those have been hunted to extinction, so sometimes I pull it to save on its life.  I've been known to use a Chatham 6AS7G, an RCA 6AS7G, and the Svetlana 6N13C.  They are all warmer than the 5998, but lack the bass authority.  The bass is there, but not as precise and impactful.

By midrange harmonics, I mean that there is a little bloom and harmony between the notes.  It's not louder.  There's just more harmony.  It's a nice effect.  It's not overbearing.  In fact, it's very subtle, but I welcome it.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 21
I would love to hear more on this as well.  I don't have any immediate plans to get anything mentioned in this thread but in the future, I would like to get the DT 990 600 ohm model along with perhaps the Schiit Lyr.  That won't be for quite some time though.  I wouldn't mind hearing the Bifrost as well.  For now I will just enjoy my low end rig.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 21
The 5998 has been hunted to extinction.  I got mine for $45 each a few years ago before they went endangered.  I wish I knew of more sources.

Also, the Woo 3 doesn't use the 12A tube.  They use the 6DJ8 (6922 equiv).  While there is difference between which tube you use, the differences are subtle at best when in the Woo 3.  The Power tube has the most profound effect.  When tube rolling, I find the power tube I like the best first because it has the most overall effect.  Then, I tweak with pre amp tubes.

Quote:
I have heard so many good things about the tung-sol 5998 
eek.gif
. Where do you guys usually get yours? Last time i check there were 3 Tung-sol 5998 on ebay from $200-250 each.

Hmm those descriptions are really ... tempting. I hope most OTL tube amps are similar in sound so I can experience that effect. The WA3 is like double my budget for tube amp atm :<.

Also I  have noticed the WA3 uses 2x 12A tubes, whereas the Bottlehead crack use 1, and the Darkvoice 336 uses 1 6as7 tubes as driver tubes. Does anyone know what's the pro/cons of those designs? (also sonic differences?)

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 21
You can try, but I'd be willing to be they're sold out.  And, I don't trust that source very much.  Questionable quality.

Quote:
Got a $45 Tung-Sol 5998 from www.vacuumtubes.net. Am I allowed to say that?
blink.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 21
If you guys couldn't find a Ts 5998. Which would you have as substitute?
How is the Sylvania 7236?; I see that they're the chosen as the "best" Power tube for Woo OTL amp.

And this question is kinda silly but I hope someone could give me some insight:

How much difference is there between OTL amps when using the same tubes combo? 

The three OTL amps I've been eye-ing on and haven't decided yet are Dv336, Crack + speedball and WA3 (somehow they're $100 from each other lol). I've been dying to ask this question cuz the insides of these amps looks really simple (and similar). The higher priced amps may use better components (Chassis and volume pots cost a lot). Could I get similar performance with a "pumped up" Dv336 (upgrade caps and stuff) compared to say a Crack or Wa3?

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 21
I don't personally like the Sylvania 7236.  It's a nice tube.  Very nice.  But, it's just a little too cold and dry for me.  The sound stage and bass are very, very nice though.  When I'm not using my 5998, I roll in the Svetlana 6N13C, which is nice and warm.  Lots of people use the RCA 6AS7G, which is also a nice tube.

I think there can be a big difference between amps that use the same tubes.  A lot depends on the quality of the transformer, the capacitors, and how the overall circuit is put together.

Quote:
If you guys couldn't find a Ts 5998. Which would you have as substitute?
How is the Sylvania 7236?; I see that they're the chosen as the "best" Power tube for Woo OTL amp.

And this question is kinda silly but I hope someone could give me some insight:

How much difference is there between OTL amps when using the same tubes combo? 

The three OTL amps I've been eye-ing on and haven't decided yet are Dv336, Crack + speedball and WA3 (somehow they're $100 from each other lol). I've been dying to ask this question cuz the insides of these amps looks really simple (and similar). The higher priced amps may use better components (Chassis and volume pots cost a lot). Could I get similar performance with a "pumped up" Dv336 (upgrade caps and stuff) compared to say a Crack or Wa3?

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
You can try, but I'd be willing to be they're sold out.  And, I don't trust that source very much.  Questionable quality.

+1

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 21
I found a source for 5998 tubes.  The reviews on the vendor are mixed.  Some positive reviews and some negative.  The price seems ok.  PM me if you want more info and you're willing to take a chance on this vendor.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #15 of 21
This thread sank so fast.;(. I'd love to get more inputs. Surely there must be someone who upgraded from dv336/crack to some higher priced OTL.

Lunar new year is kinda hectic here so I can't audition any amps for the next 2 weeks.All I can do now is posting and speculate xD

hodgjy, do you think the "subtle" difference between asgard and wa3 is worth the price difference? (I just realized the wa3 is 2x more expensive than the Asgard, wonder how will wa3 fare against a $500 SS amp). Does OTL amp bring any "magic" to high impendance can that SS amp cannot replicate/compete with?

//also the signature of dubstep girl is mind-blowing 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back