dt990 250ohm with Little Dot MK III, good enough?
Jan 7, 2011 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mindf

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi'ers

New user and a complete newbie to this audio scene. Just purchased Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohms and i currently own a couple of entry level cans such as sony mdrv700 and sennheiser hd228.

Anyway, my source is an onboard pc audio and an ipod. I understand i need an amp for the beyers and i'm eyeing on the little dot mkiii. Do you think thats enough considering that the LD is a preamp?

What cable should i need to hook a line out to the LD L and R audio input?

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 9
My exact first audio setup 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Sadly, one I regret selling as well. At the moment, you can get away with running simply an amp with onboard audio. You are not going to get the full potential out of any component in the chain but I guarantee you that it will sound good to your "fresh" ears. Next upgrade then should be a DAC and the sound will exponentially improve. After about 3 or 4 months of using the MKIII off onboard audio, I upgraded to a non oversampling DAC which worked really well with the rest of the components. Basically, in short, I thumbs up the current upgrade in mind, so long as you are committed to spending a little bit more money in the future on a DAC. If not then, for the most bang for your buck, I would pick up a DAC/Amp combo unit. I really do endorse the former option. Welcome to headfi and sorry about your wallet!! If you need any more info, you are welcome to pm me.

Oh by the way, you are going to need a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect your PC to the Little Dot

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for pointing me towards a good direction, although my wallet disagrees 
beerchug.gif
 . Any pointer towards a good DAC under $150? I might consider getting both if the amount sounds right.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
 Do you think thats enough considering that the LD is a preamp?

What cable should i need to hook a line out to the LD L and R audio input?

The preamp functions of the MKIII shouldn't impact it's ability to drive headphones.  All you need is an 1/8" headphone minijack to RCA cable.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Im glad you chose to go the separate DAC route. Its just much better because it makes upgrading individual components in the chain a lot easier. With that said, for $150 I would get a Nuforce uDac2. I had a uDac 1 back in the day and I remember it sounded pretty good. The 2 is supposed to be better with more features.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 9
In my experience when dealing with PC sound the quality of the DAC makes a huge difference simply because there is so much garbage out there with onboard audio. That said you won't know it till you actually upgrade and you'd be quite happy.
So yes to the LDIII, and yes to the 990s but save up for a decent DAC and you're laughing.

EDIT: Here's the uDac2: http://estore.nuforce.com/products/NuForce-Icon-uDAC2.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back