DT880 vs HD600 vs ESP 950 vs A1000X
Jun 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

goldoon

Head-Fier
Hi,

Can someone do a brief comparison of DT880, HD600, ESP 950 & A1000X please?
I'm thinking about getting one of them (Next month is my brother's birthday). I have DT880's myself and I love it, but still I think maybe the other headphones to be a better choice. and If I know the differences between them clearly, I can choose better?

Thanks

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 68

Quote:
Hi,

Can someone do a brief comparison of DT880, HD600, ESP 950 & A1000X please?
I'm thinking about getting one of them (Next month is my brother's birthday). I have DT880's myself and I love it, but still I think maybe the other headphones to be a better choice. and If I know the differences between them clearly, I can choose better?

Thanks

Wow! exactly what I want. Thanks for this thread.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 68
ESP/950s, IMO, are the best sounding cans for under $1000. No joke. Good detail, nice warmth in the mids, fantastic bass extension, and smooth yet slightly sparkled highs. I'd take those as all-rounders and be mostly satisfied... except when I want some great guitar rock, then I'd grab my Grados. :)

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 68
Quote:
ESP/950s, IMO, are the best sounding cans for under $1000. No joke. Good detail, nice warmth in the mids, fantastic bass extension, and smooth yet slightly sparkled highs. I'd take those as all-rounders and be mostly satisfied... except when I want some great guitar rock, then I'd grab my Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.
How is their sub-bass and soundstage in comparison to the others? and do you use their own energizer?

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 68
Thanks.
How is their sub-bass and soundstage in comparison to the others? and do you use their own energizer?

I use my SRM-717, my 950s have been recabled for STAX. The E/90 they come with is quite good, however. Soundstage is very good, clearly better than all but the DT880, and similar to them in width but having more depth. Sub-bass is quite good, not the same as with dynamic drivers, but quite satisfying once you get acclimated.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 68
Quote:
I use my SRM-717, my 950s have been recabled for STAX. The E/90 they come with is quite good, however. Soundstage is very good, clearly better than all but the DT880, and similar to them in width but having more depth. Sub-bass is quite good, not the same as with dynamic drivers, but quite satisfying once you get acclimated.

Thanks.
After reading you words I have become depressed
biggrin.gif
. I should post this thread earlier and got ESP 950 instead of DT880's. Not that DT880's are bad. They are great, but you own DT880 and also one of my favorites, HE-6 but still think that ESP 950 is the best sounding headphone under 1K.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 68
I owned the 880/250s before the HD600s. I prefer the HD600s in every way. The 880s were dry, flat, and unengaging. There wasn't much meat on the bone. The HD600s are slightly less neutral, but are more engaging, meaty, and a joy for me to listen to. They are more musical, where the 880s are more clinical. I haven't heard the 880/600s, but I do own the 990/600s, and I still prefer the HD600s over those. Those 990s have more meat on the bone than the 880/250s, but are not as smooth and pleasant as the HD600s.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 68
Never heard ESP 950

What's your DT880? Pro version?

Let me put DT880Pro/600 as refrence for Beyer, compare to HD600, HD600 is definitely more relaxing, more midcentric, smoother and meatier, but less accuracy in term of soundstage image, and a bit harder to put micro detail that came out.

A1000X is a bit unique, it's close back, but still give you airy and spacious presentation. It has smallest bass quantity compare to the other two dynamic headphone, but on the other hand, it has clean and neutral from mid to treble region. If you like neutral sound but prefer somehing with more forward mid than DT880, then A1000X perhaps can be your good companion.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 68
Quote:
I owned the 880/250s before the HD600s. I prefer the HD600s in every way. The 880s were dry, flat, and unengaging. There wasn't much meat on the bone. The HD600s are slightly less neutral, but are more engaging, meaty, and a joy for me to listen to. They are more musical, where the 880s are more clinical. I haven't heard the 880/600s, but I do own the 990/600s, and I still prefer the HD600s over those. Those 990s have more meat on the bone than the 880/250s, but are not as smooth and pleasant as the HD600s.

Thanks hodgjy.

IMO DT880's (600 Ohms) are not dry and unengaging at all. They are wonderful even with heavy genres. But if you want the truth, I don't remember HD600's sound clearly. I have checked them 6-7 years ago and maybe they are more musical than DT880.

Quote:
Never heard ESP 950

What's your DT880? Pro version?

Let me put DT880Pro/600 as refrence for Beyer, compare to HD600, HD600 is definitely more relaxing, more midcentric, smoother and meatier, but less accuracy in term of soundstage image, and a bit harder to put micro detail that came out.

A1000X is a bit unique, it's close back, but still give you airy and spacious presentation. It has smallest bass quantity compare to the other two dynamic headphone, but on the other hand, it has clean and neutral from mid to treble region. If you like neutral sound but prefer somehing with more forward mid than DT880, then A1000X perhaps can be your good companion.

Thanks TheMiddleSky.

If A1000X's plus in comparison to DT880 is a more forward mid, I think I still prefer DT880 over them. Especially when it has less bass quantity than DT880's which I think their bass quantity is just enough. Also it's 200-300 $ less expensive.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 68
I only wanted to quote an expert's opinion.

Mike at Headfonia (about A1000X):
Quote:
but they do sound more refined than the typical mid-fi dynamic headphones like the typical K701/DT880/HD650 trio.

and of course more expensive than all of them. Especially DT880 and K701.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 68
The ESP/950s sit above the Sennheisers and I would assume the ATs as well (I've never heard a closed can that can challenge the Sennheisers let alone outright better them, and the 950s are better than that); I dislike all things Beyerdynamic so I'll leave that one alone. :veryevil:

The 950s are blindingly fast, intoxicatingly smooth, and beautifully presented - everything from bass to treble and nothing is overly bumped or offensive (although the mids are a bit present; it's not "in your face" or "romantic and syrupy"). They can dig down very low on the LF side as long as the material genuinely has something to dig (e.g. organ works, some rock, some dub, etc) - they don't have a lot of resonance/decay/etc like many headphones do so there isn't a lot of "ringing" or "boom" as a result. The E/90 works well enough that I'm not interested in upgrading (it's also the size I think a headphone amplifier *should* be, but that's for another day). It's easy enough to get an adapter or recable on the 950s to run them on STAX Pro sockets (from whatever) though; if that's your thing.

Having said all of that, the Sennheisers are probably the closest to them of everything you listed (and perhaps overall) - they're smooth, balanced, relatively fast, don't punch anything into your face, etc. They're comparatively slower and somewhat "mushier" (especially down low) and a bit darker, but for half the price (oh, grrr, forgot about the MAP!) they're very good. I'd gladly take them in place of the 950s, if there was something that precluded owning the 950s (I can't think of a good example) or otherwise made them impractical (but really both are about as versatile - the Senns are fairly efficient dynamic cans that can drive from a lot, and the 950s just need a line (ish) source and the E/90 accepts both TRS and RCA; they're both open and provide no isolation, and neither will survive mobile (ab)use so there you have it). Both are very comfortable, but the 950s, being larger, are slightly moreso (even with the non-fabric pads). The warranty on the Koss, as expected, is better; as is availability of parts and their pricing.

Regarding any closed headphone I've ever tried - they *all* end up failing at one extreme or (even worse) dead-center in the mids. I've not heard a one of them that can get speed/low-resonance, FR balance, PRaT, etc absolutely correct in all things against a good open-back can. Sure, there's probably some $1000+ closed-back that I haven't tried or heard about that might get it right, but we're talking $1000+ just to compete, not to improve. That seems a little backwards imho (unless you have an absolute NEED for a closed can). The closest was the Kenwood KH-K1000 and apart from being very heavy and very warm (to wear), the only gripe was the potentially (And only slightly) over-done bass. Otherwise they're a fantastic closed can, and get very close to being a "closed Sennheiser" - very comfy (apart from weight/heat) as well. They also cost less than the A1000X. I would still say that either the Sennheiser or the Koss are better all around choices.

Depending on how serious you/your brother is about listening, and what you're plugging into, I'd probably weigh the Sennheiser against the ESP. The ESP *are* better, but if you're not going to appreciate the (admittedly small-ish) gains (there's just lots of little things they do better, they aren't "3 times better" or anything like that), save the money and get the Sennheisers, and put the rest of the money into a nice night on the town or some other celebration. This isn't a "you aren't worthy" kind of argument - like I said, I could live with either, and honestly I think if you like one you'll enjoy the other as well; one just happens to cost $600-700, and the other $300-400. So if you're somewhat indifferent about absolute fidelity, save the few hundred bucks. :xf_eek:

Quickly between the two:

ESP/950
+ Better sound-staging
+ Faster
+ Better bass extension and impact
+ Somewhat more comfortable
+ Slightly mid forward; makes vocals nice
+ Somewhat better up top
+ Lifetime warranty
- More expensive
- Upgrade amplifiers start in the thousands, not hundreds
- Some people don't like their look/build-quality (lots of ABS)

Sennheiser 600
+ Somewhat smaller
+ Better grip/clamp on head (they don't "flop off" as easily)
+ Cheaper
+ Build quality is probably better
+ Laid-back top-end and very forgiving overall - nothing sounds "bad" through them
- Less details
- Bass isn't as tight/controlled
- Spares cost more

Oh, I should also add, if you/your brother prefers a "darker" presentation, get the Sennheiser, if you like a "mids" presentation, get the Koss. I'm not sure what a "kingrex" dark can would be these days - the previous Koss ESP was dark (good luck finding one in good condition/finding one at all though), and they sound very unique as a result. But other than those, I'm not aware of anything that's head and shoulders better than the Sennheiser that's also dark (without being a bass cannon).

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 68
You can't go wrong with the HD600, IMO. I have it and the 770/Premium/600. The 770s are a bit more engaging in a way that makes them preferable to me for video games and movies/tv shows. They also have, not better bass, but more *impactful* bass compared to the 600s and I love the 770s for electronic/rap/anything that benefits from bass impact. But it ends there for me. The 600 is at least slightly better in every other way. They are both *extremely* comfortable which is important to me. But the 600 is more neutral, clearer, more accurate, more revealing, has a wider & clearer soundstage (obviously..its open-back), is lighter, has a much better build quality (i can already tell the 600s will last longer), has detachable cables...

But I love them both :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back