DT880/600 ohm where to buy?
Jul 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

coryloew

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Thanks to some great feedback from headfi, and being birthday time, it's time to pull the trigger on these.  I was about to do the transaction through Amazon for $289 US plus shipping but it says it's unable to ship to Canada from the US.  What the heck?  We're right next door...what's the big deal?  Anyway, so I went to try directly through the Beyerdynamic Manufaktur program on the beyerdynamic website, and it seems that the price is more than I recall from last time I checked.  I checked a few weeks ago and I swear these headphones were under $300 US.  Now, they say they are $350 US.  B&H shows $319.  Is there anywhere where these are under $300 anymore?  Any recommendations for where to purchase these from Canada?  I may just go through B&H cause I know they're fairly reputable.  Thanks

Cory

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 26
You could find it on ebay, but as far as I know there is only one seller (moon-audio) selling dt880/600 ohm for $319 or best offer.[size=10pt] You can ask moon-audio to insure the item for lesser value; it will be cheaper if buy the headphone from moon-audio than B&H. [/size]

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 26
If you're handy, you could get a DT990/600 and modify it to a DT880. According to headroom's graphs, there is a very small difference between the 250 and 600 ohm versions. The 600 ohm has more bass and treble while having recessed mids, which seems counterproductive on an already slightly U shaped headphone. My actual experience is that the DT880/600 was very close to neutral, while a DT990 of unknown impedance had very sharp and shrill treble. I noticed a bass increase, which was very welcome, but the biggest difference was the treble for me, so I advise you to go with the 600.

If you're buying from BH, add to cart and it'll show 303 or close to it.

You could also look at a mail forwarding service that amazon ships to, then they ship to you. Usually their shipping cost is a lot less, but they have fees to make money.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 26
Amazon has tem for $290. Thats the best i have seen lately. LINK

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 26
You could check with your local Long & McQuade to see if they can special order it for you.  If they can, it might be a long wait, though.

Amazon won't ship them to Canada, either.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 26
Congrats on your new cans. Give them at least 50 hours to settle in. The highs will mellow out slightly and the bass will become a bit more pronounced for an overall more neutral and natural presentation. Also... be sure your amp is up to the task. These do take some push.

shane

Jul 13, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
It seems like a good setup to drive them...they are bass heavy and thats an aspect i like on them, enjoy!! 

??
Sorry for the derailment, but I'm very curious. Of all the things I've read about the DT880/600 'bass heavy' is not one of them.
Good bass... yes. Bass extension... oh my yesssss. But to me bass heavy applies to the D5k (and the like) or maybe even my M50. Somehow I can't go there with these. But then again, I haven't listened to them under the LD & Mullards...

shane

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 26
I bought mine from Drew at Moon Audio. Great guy to work with and answered all of my questions (plus shipped VERY quickly as well). Highly recommended.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 26
Shane,
To me, the DT880/600 are not bass heavy on par with the D5000 or certainly not the 750/2500Pro.  Bass is reasonably extended and has decent weight and impact, though.  I'd say the DT880/600's bass is well balanced with their treble and mids.
PAB
Quote:
??
Sorry for the derailment, but I'm very curious. Of all the things I've read about the DT880/600 'bass heavy' is not one of them.
Good bass... yes. Bass extension... oh my yesssss. But to me bass heavy applies to the D5k (and the like) or maybe even my M50. Somehow I can't go there with these. But then again, I haven't listened to them under the LD & Mullards...

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back