DT880 / 600 ohm before and after break-in.
Jun 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Thought some might find this interesting.
I measured these shortly after I received them, and again today... I've probably put close to 200 hours on these.

I've mentioned in other posts how break-in seemed to smooth out the highs and bring up the bass. It's interesting to see it represented graphically.
The part that kind of surprises me is the change at 1600 & 2000hz.

Obviously this is not an 'official' FR graph (it's homemade cantcha tell), but it is representative of the changes in the measurements.

shane

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Interesting. What did you use to make the graph? Do you notice any sibilance in the highs after burn in?

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Interesting. What did you use to make the graph? Do you notice any sibilance in the highs after burn in?

The graph is just a simple Excel x-y spreadsheet, using one of their graphing templates.

No harsh sibilance before or after for me, but I really noticed the highs calm down a bit with use. They are still very bright, but not as sharp...

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 8
How did you measure the SPL of the cans was what I think he meant.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
How did you measure the SPL of the cans was what I think he meant.

Oh... heh, heh... sorry. Radio Shack sound level meter - Analog.
These are simple measurements taken at pad distance at 90 degrees to the driver plane, dead center. They are only for comparison purposes... to each other, not to any other graph.
Measurements don't take HRTF into account nor pretend to. I understand the importance of that and the acoustic / sonic difference it makes.

The tones are from the Rives Audio test CD.

Hope that helps.

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 8
Zombie thread alert !! 
eek.gif

I still have them, though I'm sorry to say they get little use now that the D7000 has come into the roost.

I'll try to do this, but I can't promise that I'll get to it anytime soon. Quite busy lately.

So, is this just acedemic, or are you interested in the DT880... or other?

shane

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Shane,

I just got the DT880, looking for phones to match a Decware CSP2+. My favourite ´phones with that amp where Precide Ergo 2, but they´re 100 ohms and I thought going to 600 ohms will make that hum go away. It worked, but now i have a bit too much in the highs. I don´t know If you´re familiar with Precide headphones, but the Ergo model 2 has something like 2db less in upper frequencies so to be more apt for classical (Precide Switzerland dixit), than the Ergo 1. It sounds pretty flat to me, and very natural. It may actually have a bit forward mids, but I got used to that as natural I think. And I was wondering... will the DT880 sound closer to what I like after burn in? Voila how I got to your post. I am optimistic that the right transformation may be taking place, and was wondering how far would that go. Else, I´ll have to look high impedance or low sensitivity ´phones to match the amp elsewhere.

That´s the story. Cheers.

Agustín

Users who are viewing this thread

Back