DT880 ('05) or K701 closer to being the 'full size' equivalent of ER-4P?
Aug 8, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 6
cheers for replies - but do you mind explaining your answers... For example, I've heard that the ER-4P are just about the brightest IEM's you can get and, equally, that the DT880's are among the brightest full-size cans... So, do the similarities between the ER-4P and the K701 lie in other areas than general dark/bright sound signature ie. mids, detail retrieval, soundstage...etc...?

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 6
I have ER4P's and they're not what I would call "bright".  They are quite refined and detailed from the mid-bass on up, but are not fatiguing straight out of an iPod.  IMHO, "bright" = fatiguing.  The perception that some have of brightness from the ER4P's isn't due to what they DO in the treble so much as what they DON'T do in the bass, as they clearly have a light and unnatural sounding bass which is nevertheless tight and well-defined.

To me this is a notable distinction, as "brightness" implies a sin of comission, whereas in the ER4P it is simply a sin of omission that is a problem.  Sins of omission are far easier on the ear.

To get to the original question...I find the Shure SRH840 to be a reasonable facsimile of the ER4P with improved bass and soundstaging, but decreased clarity in the mid and upper ranges.  The only difference is that, straight out of an iPod, the SRH840 doesn't sound as "comfortable" due to some congestion in the midrange and a hard top end - it clearly needs an amp, as would the 2 that you are asking about.  I don't have any experience with those 2 however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back