DT770s - Oh God, no, just no
Jun 8, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Take the bass boost or EQ off when using the 770's-- they obviously don't need them.

I disagree

There are no cans in the known universe that don't need some bass boost
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #47 of 60
Gah, couldn't resist. Quick impressions:

sa5kinside.jpg

Basically:

SA1k: "Hey, what's up? Wanna go into a land of ecstasy and eternal bliss? Follow me!" *run along to the land of headphone heaven*

SA5k: "HEY! SHUT UP! FOLLOW ME, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE." *blast off at mach III towards headphone heaven*

DT770: "He-*burp* Heh, me have too much beer!!!1!!!! Wat u want do? Heedphon heeven? i tink eye no were place!" *runs outside, falls down, rolls down a hill into a dark forest, passes out*

I've never had such an extreme case of goosebumps before, it FELT so good. I'd characterize them as "thunderous."

SA5000 = Zeus
SA1000 = Apollo
DT770 = Ignorant, fat commoner who drinks too much ale

3headphones.jpg

(I'd put the SA5k in the midde to claim its throne as king, but the DT770s aren't worthy enough to be touching the SA5k)

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
SA5k's are here, but unfortunately the seller used the SA5000 cardboard box as the shipping box:

I really wanted to keep the box too
frown.gif

I don't have time now to open them up and test them out, but I'll post impressions later.

What? That's the outer cardboard box the SA5Ks ships in in the first place! What the hell is all this "unfortunately" crap; THAT'S HOW THE BOX LOOKED WHEN I BOUGHT IT NEW. Oh yeah, and a shtload of tape.
So now I"m the bad guy for shipping it how I received it in the first place? Whatever man.

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
What? That's the outer cardboard box the SA5Ks ships in in the first place! What the hell is all this "unfortunately" crap; THAT'S HOW THE BOX LOOKED WHEN I BOUGHT IT NEW. Oh yeah, and a shtload of tape.

I am aware that it is just the outside cardboard box, but I'm just one of those kinds of guys that likes to keep all the boxes and materials for important things that I buy. I only said "unfortunately" once and that's just to go against the awesome-ness of having the SA5k's (It would have been fortunate to have the box in perfect condition, but it wasn't. So it is "unfortunate"). I think you are really over-reacting to all of this, all I said was that it was unfortunate (Like having a bunch of positive things happening, then one negative. It is unfortunate that that negative thing happend. But there are so many positive things that greatly outweigh the negative that the negative in the end doesn't really matter). I don't even care THAT much about the outer cardboard box because the headphones themselves sound like sex.

I'm not calling you a bad guy or anything. It's my fault for being ignorant about the fact that is the box that etronics ships the SA5k's in (I thought that they ship that cardboard box inside a standard shipping box, hence why I was disappointed). Seriously, it's not a big deal. Compared to the fact that my dream headphones are finally here, and that YOU sold them to me at an incredibly price in mint condition, I don't care about the box!
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #50 of 60
Hey, I'm glad you finally have your SA5K and love it, perhaps more than any of us could have predicted. It's been a bit angonizing at times watching you debate endlessly with yourself about getting them, so it's nice to see that you are being rewarded for having the balls to take a risk and try them.

I had a similar reaction when I first got my pair as well, it was like the first space launch
wink.gif
They had me in the grasp longer than any headphone so far, which I can commend.

Jun 8, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
I disagree

evil_smiley.gif

Guess you've never heard 770s of the Darth variety, they are truely a beast

Jun 8, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
Guess you've never heard 770s of the Darth variety, they are truely a beast

Good beast or bad beast??? Or EVIL beast!?!?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

...and the bass dial all the way to the left.

Dude. Seriously. If you have the bass dial all the way left and you're STILL getting too much bass energy, you have broken phones.

They're very bass heavy, but not THAT bass heavy.

Quote:

Audio-Technica A900s, Beyer 770s, and Sennheiser 600s: all sounded best with flat EQ IMO.

I've seen your EQ settings, too- you should really see a doctor...
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
They're very bass heavy, but not THAT bass heavy.

Well, with DT770Ms instead of plain DT770s and a high-impedance output... (The Sonys have some circuitry to kinda make them immune against output impedance.)

Jun 8, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
Break them in and give them a chance, I felt the same way as you when I first got them, but after a prolonged burn-in, I found they sounded much better. I made a CD using the tones found here. I used sound forge to make a continual 3 minute sweep of the 20Hz-16000hz and 1 minute of each of 20Hz, 30Hz and 40Hz and I attenuated the volume so that they all played at about the same volume, then set it on repeat. This way you hit all the frequencies with plenty of concentration on the low end.

After they've been burned in, spend about a month with the 770s, paired with the right music you might just find you just can't give them up after that
smily_headphones1.gif

i left the sweep on overnight quite loud (i could hear it from my bed).
It worked very well. Seems in my burning in i focused too much on having bass sounds, while this worked very well, and has cleared up the mids alot.

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #56 of 60
Well, I don't think I need my SA1000s and these DT770s anymore now that I have my dream headphones, so I've decided that I'm just going to sell them (The DT770s have been burning-in since I got them and I still don't like the sound signature as much as the SA5k's. They sound too boring and slightly veiled compared to the SA5k's).

BTW, I tried them out of my speaker's headphone jack (I know, blah blah) with some games and they sounded pretty darn good. However, I still don't think they were worth the $ I spent on them ($180 shipped
frown.gif
) and I bet I could make the SA5k's into gaming cans with the PA2V2 that's coming in.

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #57 of 60
PA2V2.jpg

PA2V2 arrived! But alas, no 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter, so it sleeps quietly
frown.gif

I'm going to head out to Radio Shack tomorrow morning to get a bunch of cables and stuff. My question: Will it really matter if I use a cheap adapter or not with my SA5k's? I'm incredibly broke after buying the SA5k's (And the money I got from selling the SA1k's and DT770s is going to pay for money I already owe), so I can't exactly afford a high quality adapter. So, just like IC's only make so much difference, an adapter will be pretty much the same (I'll probably invest into a Grado adapter later on, but I can only afford a ghetto one for now)?

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
PA2V2 arrived! But alas, no 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter, so it sleeps quietly
frown.gif

I'm going to head out to Radio Shack tomorrow morning to get a bunch of cables and stuff. My question: Will it really matter if I use a cheap adapter or not with my SA5k's? I'm incredibly broke after buying the SA5k's (And the money I got from selling the SA1k's and DT770s is going to pay for money I already owe), so I can't exactly afford a high quality adapter. So, just like IC's only make so much difference, an adapter will be pretty much the same (I'll probably invest into a Grado adapter later on, but I can only afford a ghetto one for now)?

I think you should be fine. The IC's/adapter quality difference is highly debated, but the general consensus seems to be that it's the final 5 % or less benefit you tweak in your overall system. The gold series connectors from Radioshack have been said to be pretty decent.

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80
I think you should be fine. The IC's/adapter quality difference is highly debated, but the general consensus seems to be that it's the final 5 % or less benefit you tweak in your overall system. The gold series connectors from Radioshack have been said to be pretty decent.

I have one from Radioshack, and it performs as well as my $20 Grado adapter, with no perceived difference in sound (at least not to my ears). And it was only about $6
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #60 of 60
Glad to see you like the SA5000. I want to buy some eventually as my next step and use them possibly as my final headphones but I keep hearing people here not like them. I guess it just depends a lot on personal preference when it comes to these. It sounds to me like most of the people that don't like them just don't like bright headphones, but otherwise they're technically excellent. I wish I could spend the cash on them right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back