DT770s - Oh God, no, just no
Jun 7, 2006 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
basshead.gif
is an understatement. Though they haven't been burned in yet nor am I using the with a proper headphone amp, they are just too much out of my stereo's amp. This is just plain ridiculous. The music sounds slightly veiled and all I hear is mind-boggling bloated and gritty bass. It's a damn fart cannon. There's just way too much emphasis on the lower end that they sound like a pair of ghetto speakers with too much bass being driven through them. I was expecting some high-end, very tight and impactful bass that would rock your world. However, this is just ridiculous. The bass is all over the place and sounds incredibly low-fi. I was expecting a BOOOOOOOOM!, but what I got was a BLAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!111!!!!!1 1!!one

Well burn-in help control the bass and reduce its gritty nature? In a few days or so I should be able to drive them through a dedicated headphone amp, but that's going to be a PA2V2, so I fear even worse SQ out of these monsters. Seriously, the sound makes me want to vomit. The low-end is just so ridiculous that it's not music anymore, just noise (Reminds me of those crappy car sound systems that everybody at school has).

The velour pads are quite comfy though
tongue.gif

EDIT: The sound is really veiled to me. It might just be because I'm coming from the SA1k, but it sounds like there's a sock between my ears and the driver. Could they just not be properly driven (Though I think my stereo's headphone amp is kind of efficient and powerful)? It just sucks that I ordered a PA2V2 to go with these as that should just make the bass even worse.

This was all with MUSIC, I haven't tried them with gaming yet, though I already have a feeling that I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a gaming can (A900?).

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 60
Yes these are basshead cannons not cans
tongue.gif
I think an amp would help tighten up the bass a bit, even the PA2V2; at least when I had that combination. But chances are if you don't like the SQ now, you won't like it later on. The bass is overemphasized for sure; of all the the cans I've tried so far, the most accurate bass I've heard have been on the AKG K701.

I recall you picked up a SA5K from the FS forums recently. I haven't heard one personally but I think that may offer you the kind of bass you are looking for
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm try to choose between trying that and a A900LTD for my next try out.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80
Yes these are basshead cannons not cans
tongue.gif
I think an amp would help tighten up the bass a bit, even the PA2V2; at least when I had that combination. But chances are if you don't like the SQ now, you won't like it later on. The bass is overemphasized for sure; of all the the cans I've tried so far, the most accurate bass I've heard have been on the AKG K701.

I recall you picked up a SA5K from the FS forums recently. I haven't heard one personally but I think that may offer you the kind of bass you are looking for
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm try to choose between trying that and a A900LTD for my next try out.

Yes, I picked up a SA5k and I'm already sure that it's going to have the type of bass and sound that I like (I already have the SA1k and love them). However, I needed some nice cans for the heavy bass in gaming and rap music. The low end on these DT770s just doesn't sound right; there's so much bass that it sounds distorted almost. This is just plain horrible. My MDR-101s are WAY better than these DT770s.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 60
IIRC they sounded a bit bright to me. Don't recall them being veiled when I had them, but I hadn't tried out other cans at the time; those were my first 'hifi' quality cans.

I recommend you trying them out with games before giving up on them. I got rid of them owing to their closed nature, but I haven't found a can that I think comes close to it's 'game' worthiness. That bloated all over the place bass really gives you the 'OMG TEH EXPLOSIOONSS !!111!!' effect IMHO; especially in FPS gaming, you want a really bright end to hear details and then that boomy bloated slow bass for gunshots/explosions etc.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Which model DT770 do you have? The sound you're describing sounds like an under-driven 250 ohm model to me. Of course if you don't like the "lotsa bass" sound, any DT770 is not going to work for you.

I have the Professional 80 ohm version.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 60
You REALLY need to burn those in. The bass is horrible at the start.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 60
I personally dont own the 770s but my friend does and they dont sound too too bassy after they are fully burned in... though they still are
basshead.gif
which is perfect for me
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 60
Azure likes fast and less groovy sony's bass. He dislike and sold his A500 after getting SA1K. I don't think he'll like those DT770's even after fully burn-in. Coz IMO DT770 and A*00's are much similar in sound signature.

I think only SA5K will serve you better OR A900LTD can do trick as well.
icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 60
I auditioned them the other day, and the bass was a bit loose, but it was definitely there. I could tell that these were good cans for me, I couldn't stop tapping my foot or moving my head. Great for my type of music too.

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 60
Gonna pick some up for hip hop and bassy rock that I listen to occasionally...

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 60
I wouldn't call the DT770's bass loose and uncontrolled. Well, somewhat loose and uncontrolled surely, but it's not low-fi fart-cannon bass by any means. Yes, it's horribly overpowered and drowns out the rest of the frequency spectrum, but that's what you want for some genres anyway.

I suspect that you're not driving them well. Despite being 80 ohms, they still need an amp in my experience. I expect that with a PA2V2, you'll get better results, though the bass will never be at what most would consider a "normal" or "balanced" quantity
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back