DT770s - Oh God, no, just no
Jun 7, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #16 of 60
I wouldn't want to listen to DT770-80s with a high output impedance. Something in the order of a few hundred ohms would be entirely sufficient to make these extremely bassy. Check with an amp. The result should be bass + highs + not much in between
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #18 of 60
I had the same feeling when I received my DT770 80... but I was not feeling that negative about it

and the sound changed a lot to me after a couple of weeks using them, they got much more balanced, this heavy bass feeling going away slowly... I really like them (better with less bass lol)

I think this has something to do with the pads (someone reported that with new pads the "bass" was back)...

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #19 of 60
They are dark and clubby phones best suited to certain genres of music - deep, dubby electronica, for instance. They do sound veiled to me, too, but still have terrific soundstage and a pleasing rosin-y tone on acoustic instruments.

Settle down with them and let your ears adjust. Using crossfeed definitely improves the balance, takes that bass out of your ears and puts it back in the music where it belongs. Also, they are great for low-volume listening - it pulls the whole sound into focus.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #20 of 60
That's the DT770's way. This boomy slowish signature with the veiled mids may suits to downbeat electronica, but to nothing else. As you come from the other extreme, a Sony screamer, that must indeed have been a bad experience for you.

Get yourself some A900s instead.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
That's the DT770's way. This boomy slowish signature with the veiled mids may suits to downbeat electronica, but to nothing else. As you come from the other extreme, a Sony screamer, that must indeed have been a bad experience for you.

Get yourself some A900s instead.

The A900s mids are even more veiled then the DT770s, the highs and mids on the DT770s just aren't very clear, the mids on the A900s feel sucked out and recessed.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
the mids on the A900s feel sucked out and recessed.

I disagree. The A900's mids aren't forward but I don't think they are recessed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
The A900s mids are even more veiled then the DT770s, the highs and mids on the DT770s just aren't very clear, the mids on the A900s feel sucked out and recessed.

<<<<=>>>>

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I disagree. The A900's mids aren't forward but I don't think they are recessed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let's Azure decide which one is better and acceptable in mids coz he owned A500's as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #24 of 60
I found the A900's signature much, much better overall than the 770's (and I liked the 770s).

The 770s signature is marked by outrageous bass and a brighter high-end.

The A900s signature strikes me as much more balanced- bass is outstanding but balanced, no brightness, and the mids, to my ears, sound like they are where they should be (ala Senn 600s).

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #25 of 60
Hmmm, my pair of 770s is fairly balanced after a few hundred hours. Yes, the bass is uncomfortable at the beginning. No, if you haven't heard the changes you shouldn't assume. They're never ever smooth though. I do think the midrange is less recessed than the A*** series, and the bass is far more in control with time.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #26 of 60
I can tell you with a great degree of confidence that if you really love and prefer the sound signature and bass the way it is presented by Sony 'SA' series that you will never, ever enjoy the sound from a pair of DT770s. Recabled, Amped, Different OHM rated models, woodied, fully burned-in, etc. will NEVER change your mind - ever.

Sell or trade them and move on is the best advice I can give you. And don't ever look back. Try to erase what you heard from your memory. You will feel much better for doing so.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #28 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
I can tell you with a great degree of confidence that if you really love and prefer the sound signature and bass the way it is presented by Sony 'SA' series that you will never, ever enjoy the sound from a pair of DT770s. Recabled, Amped, Different OHM rated models, woodied, fully burned-in, etc. will NEVER change your mind - ever.

The SA series are a weird weird weird bunch of headphones

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #29 of 60
"nor am I using the with a proper headphone amp"

For a guy with 1000+ posts, you should know better, in fact you answered your own question. What ever led you to believe these would sound good without proper amplification???

- augustwest

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
The SA series are a weird weird weird bunch of headphones

Different strokes for different folks.

The OP really enjoys their sound signature, and the way they do bass (which is to my ears lean, tight and extremely fast). Which still doesn't change the fact that he will never like the way the DT770s sound, regardless of what voodoo he performs on them.

Allow me to demonstrate with some visual aid:

The original poster with his Sonys ->
icon10.gif

The original poster trying out the DT770s ->
basshead.gif

The original poster trying to comprehend what he just heard ->
confused.gif

How the original poster will feel about the DT770s for the rest of his life if he were to keep them ->
mad.gif

The original poster selling his DT770s and returning to his SA5ks ->
icon10.gif

A full circle return to his happiness, along with the restoration of the balance of 'the force'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back