DT770 vs. DT880?
Sep 18, 2007 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Corbet

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my heart set on a pair of DT880s (look at sig) and I've recently come accross the DT770s. They seems to be very simliar in price of the DT880s but are closed instead of semi-open.

Can anyone tell me what kind of difference in sound they each have? I'm not considering the DT770s because although I don't require closed headphones, it is always a plus. Another good thing about the DT770s is the fact that they can be later be modded into Darth Beyers, which it seems like the DT880s can't.

Advice?

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi=]
To say it briefly, the DT880's are higher-end than the dt770s. But below is a more detailed comparison between these two cans:

Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will try to explain the differences between the dt770/80 and the dt880/250(there is no 80 ohm version). Here goes!

...The dt880 is much more clear souding, with a larger, airier soundstage, and is more accurate in sound reproduction. Because the dt880's more accurately reproduce the sounds of your application than the dt770's, what you hear sounds more natural in comparison. Also, compared to the dt770's, the dt880's sound "mature," "correct," and in a subtle way, "serious."

The dt770's, compared to cheapo headphones, have a large soundstage, and also can sound very clear. It is detailed, but not nearly as detailed as the dt880's. Also, the bass is denser on the dt770's, with much greater bass impact, and sounds subwoofery; the dt880's bass is more musical, detailed, and accurate(even if that means light).

If your coming from a low-fi setup, don't want an amp, and play video games, I would recommend the dt770's. If your looking for a step into the hi-fi world, have a decent amp, and is more serious about your music, I'd recommend the dt880's(but if you're willing to sacrifice some fun factor for bass-heavy games like bf2, for greater imaging(for that competitive edge), the dt880's can be used for gaming too).

Both cans shine with well recorded music, but the dt880's benefit more, or SHINE more, with better recordings.

Lastly, grr, it slipped my mind. I'll edit this post when it comes back to
tongue.gif

*edit* Oh yea, both cans are excellent values for the money.

*edit* PS, you can get both of these cans in the 32 ohm versions at beyerdynamic's homepage.

In addition to above...both headphones are built Ford Tough. As wiser head-fiers have said, going with a lower end setup(dt770) first, instead of straight for the gold(dt880), would probably bring about further appreciation of these two cans.

*edit* I have not heard the Darth Beyers, so getting the DT770's might be a good decision if the results of modding them are worth it for you.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 12
'darth beyers' are dt770 modified by headphile, a headphone modification company. Kind of like DT770 AMG.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Hell, while we're talking about headphile, how do their woodie Grado mods stack up compared to Grado's Reference guide? Also, what Prestige Grados would be worth modifying?

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 12
^derailed. Let me put this back on track. I own the 250 ohm DT880 premiums with a Schiit magni. Really the best set up under 400 excluding a DAC, I'm currently using a Focusrite interface. I use the DT880s for producing so having a very balanced / accurate sound is important to me. I do miss the heavier bass but the trade off is worth it. Especially the soft ear pads. Honestly though, with a solid state amp like the magni if the track you're listening to isn't perfect, you will hear why and it will bother you.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 12
yacobx, is there a noticeable increase in sound quality when you plugged in your DT880s into the Schiit vs the Focusrite? I currently own a Steinberg UR22 audio interface and it can drive my 250 ohm DT880s just fine, but I am wondering if investing in the Schiit Modi/Magni is worth it for the increase in sound quality.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 12
^derailed. Let me put this back on track. I own the 250 ohm DT880 premiums with a Schiit magni. Really the best set up under 400 excluding a DAC, I'm currently using a Focusrite interface. I use the DT880s for producing so having a very balanced / accurate sound is important to me. I do miss the heavier bass but the trade off is worth it. Especially the soft ear pads. Honestly though, with a solid state amp like the magni if the track you're listening to isn't perfect, you will hear why and it will bother you.

I produce music as well (nothing serious, it's just a hobby I've had for the past 5 years or so), and I recently ordered a 600 Ohm DT 880 Premium Manufaktur as an upgrade to my 80 Ohm DT 770 Pros, hearing good things about their flatness, soundstage/imaging, and overall level of detail. I'm using the Magni/Modi stack as my amp/DAC combo. As a college student who moves around a lot, an acoustically treated space with high-end studio monitors is not an option for me. Headphones are the only way that I can get high quality sound for music production purposes on a budget.

Seeing as you use almost the same setup that I intend to use, I was wondering what compensations, if any, you need to make when producing your songs through the DT 880s. Do you ever find that your mixes made with the DT 880s have frequency imbalances on other systems? Does the 10 kHz treble peak ever cause you problems when mixing/mastering? What do the DT 880s excel at in a production setting, and where do they fall short? What kinds of music do you produce? I'd love to hear about your production-related experiences with the DT 880s.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 12
Wow. Eloquent. I think that the 880's are the best headphones to use on long producing sessions but the 770s are the best to do mix downs with. The top end is a little bright on the 880's. My last ep was completely produced and mixed on 880's. Www.soundcloud.com/mythodical

Let me know what you think

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 12
Wow. Eloquent. I think that the 880's are the best headphones to use on long producing sessions but the 770s are the best to do mix downs with. The top end is a little bright on the 880's. My last ep was completely produced and mixed on 880's. Www.soundcloud.com/mythodical

Let me know what you think

Compositionally, I'm loving the deep, contemplative vibe. Your work is minimal and tasteful with a distinctly organic feel. Production-wise, everything sounds very tight and clean. Thanks for sharing!

I know that in music production, it's not the equipment you have, but how you use it. However, if you can get results this good with the DT 880s, then I feel confident that I made a good purchase.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #12 of 12

Compositionally, I'm loving the deep, contemplative vibe. Your work is minimal and tasteful with a distinctly organic feel. Production-wise, everything sounds very tight and clean. Thanks for sharing!

I know that in music production, it's not the equipment you have, but how you use it. However, if you can get results this good with the DT 880s, then I feel confident that I made a good purchase.

Thank you so much! I think you did too! good luck with your music. If you want you can share your sound cloud too :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back