Dt770 prices climbing?
Nov 20, 2006 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PachmanP

100+ Head-Fier
Did the DT770 prices jump like $50 or am I just going crazy? I'm looking to replace some hd280's that fell apart, and I could have sworn that the dt770's were $100 when I got the 280's two years ago.

Nov 20, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 9
the Dt 770/80? They are out of production so good ones are more $$ especially since the Darth Beyer's are a popular mod.

Nov 20, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 9
I think they have always gone for about $150(the cheapest I know of) from this guy named Guitarinsider, on ebay=] I didn't know you could have gotten them for as low as $100! That's a real real steal. Of a deal.

Nov 20, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 9
Besides GuitarInsider(bestoffer)/on eBay, Guitar Center is known to regularly dicker to $150, and Larry at Headphile offers them at $145 in conjunction with having Darthbeyer mods done. So, while their popularity is due, in part to the now-better-known Darthbeyer mod. (from when I bought my first pair) - the price has been pretty consistant.........but that could always come to an end before you know what is happening
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Ah so I must just be losing my mind. Thanks for the replies all.

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 9
Moreover, they hold value better than almost any other headphone I've seen. Here in Germany, a pair of DT770 from 1985 (their first release) will still fetch the same price as a nearly new pair.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi People!

After lurking here for a couple weeks trying to decide on what headphones to buy, I'd just like to say THANKS to you people and this forum for helping me make my choice. Excellent resource, these forums!

I picked up a pair of DT770/80's at my local Guitar Center for $120 today. Oops, did I type $120? Yeah, that's right, $120. $125 and change, with tax, out the door. They were listed at $199, and I figured if they would come down to around $150, I was walking out with them. Well, they did that, and then some. Serendipity!

I couldn't be happier with them! I would have been happy to pay list for these. Unamped from my laptop, I think these sound truly beautiful.

I bought a pair of 280's a year or two ago, and I was just never able to enjoy them. I guess I'm a certifiable basshead.
basshead.gif
Anyway, my son has been using those with his laptop, and is very happy with them. Very nice sound, just not what I was after. Not like these, which are EXACTLY what I was after.

Now, I'll grab a PA2V2, and go from there...
biggrin.gif

Happy listening!

Brett

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 9
its allways good to hear from people who are satisfied due to the world of informed and expert advice that is here on head-fi. im happy to be a part of a community that gets this kind of result.

Nov 21, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1brett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I'll grab a PA2V2, and go from there...

I imagine an LDM+ or Go Vibe would match a DT770 better-- usually a 'fun' headphone mates better with a more analytical amp. Otherwise it can be too much of a good thing.

Anyway, no rush on the amp front if you're already loving them. Get used to them now and then enjoy them all over again when the amp finally arrives. Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back