DT770 80ohm vs LCD-2?
Nov 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Docks

100+ Head-Fier
I have the DT770 80ohm and love the warmness and bass extension they have. I listen mainly to electronic music - Such as trance and dubstep. Are the LCD-2's overkill for this? would they be really bright coming from a pair of 770s? I'm from Winnipeg, Canada and don't think I will end up hearing this can anytime soon. From what I've read the LCDs have a extended bass and darker sound to them as well, this really appeals to me along with them being open.

Has anyone heard both side by side and can compare how they sound?

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 5
LCD-2 > dt770s. Granted the 770s are closed so their sound is a bit different. Bass in the LCDs are way above the 770s IMO. Granted I dont own the LCDs but have heard them. Love them more then my fav. headphones the denon d5000 and he-400

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 5
I understand the LCD2's are objectively better than the 770s but how are they for electronic music? Is it reasonable to listen to something like Tiesto or Datsik on the LCD2s? Or would they just be wasted money, I understand this content isn't ideal for such a high grade headphone.

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I understand the LCD2's are objectively better than the 770s but how are they for electronic music? Is it reasonable to listen to something like Tiesto or Datsik on the LCD2s? Or would they just be wasted money, I understand this content isn't ideal for such a high grade headphone.

Well its all on how much you think your music is worth and the quality of music you have. I dont think you should look at a genre as not being good enough for this or that headphone. If you like the sound of the music and want to improve on it, then no I dont think any headphone would be a waste on any genre of music as long as you are burning/downloading high quality audio. I payed 400 bucks for my he-400s and dont regret it one bit. If I had not bought mad dogs and denon d5000s before them I would probably have went for the LCD2s. Still plan on getting them one day, maybe even LCD3s. I listen to alot of electronic music as well. I am also waiting for Audeze to release more information on their closed back version of the LCD. 

cheers

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I have the DT770 80ohm and love the warmness and bass extension they have. I listen mainly to electronic music - Such as trance and dubstep. Are the LCD-2's overkill for this? would they be really bright coming from a pair of 770s? I'm from Winnipeg, Canada and don't think I will end up hearing this can anytime soon. From what I've read the LCDs have a extended bass and darker sound to them as well, this really appeals to me along with them being open.
Has anyone heard both side by side and can compare how they sound?

Heya,

It's going to boil down to just how much every last bit of performance is worth it to you. The LCD2 is fantastic and great for electronic music. For an open headphone, it has amazing bass response without harming it's great mids and relaxed treble. If you can get a used one for $600~750, then go for it. That headphone will last you a life time if you take care of it. And honestly your music preferences will change over time so you may find yourself using it differently a year later, etc. If you have the budget to go flagship/highend, you might as well, because if you're constantly here at Head-Fi you will buy more entry and mid-level headphones that eventually will equal the cost of a flagship and end up buying a flagship anyways, so you end up spending more money by not going flagship early on.

The DT770 doesn't have the extension in bass that the LCD2 has, nor the control and texture. Everything is better on the LCD2. I will however say that the treble on the Beyer is more to my liking (I like bright headphones; the LCD2 is darker by comparison so less `exciting' in treble). Also the Beyer is frankly more comfortable to wear.

If you want an upgrade to the DT770 that has better sub-bass, great mids, and retain the sparkly treble, the next headphone for you would be a Denon D5000.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back