DT48 vs DT150
Jan 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

phandrew

500+ Head-Fier
I am choosing between these 2 headphones but i don't know which one to pick.

If i had to rate both headphone for warmth and detail would it be something like this?

DT48
warmth - 2-3/10
detail - 9-9.5/10

DT150
warmth - 6-7/10
detail - 7.5-8.5/10

If anyone who has these headphones it would be great if you can help me out

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 20
I own the DT 150 but Tiemen or Denl82 are IMO the authorities on them. From a non trained standpoint I personally can't find fault with the 150, albeit I've never heard the DT 48.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the DT 150 but Tiemen or Denl82 are IMO the authorities on them. From a non trained standpoint I personally can't find fault with the 150, albeit I've never heard the DT 48.

Huh? Why should I be a authority? You have also the DT150, music, gear and two ears. Your opinion is as good as mine
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm not trained, just a music lover who tried some headphones.
I can't say anything about the DT48.
What I know about the DT150, is that they need a powerful amp to sound clear with tight bass. Without amping, they will sound muddy.
They are also depending on source quality.
There are headfi-ers who love the DT150, and there are also headf-ers who dislikes them very much.
I can't answer OP questions. The warmth is depending on source and amp, as is detail.
To me they sound rather warm, compared to other headphones I listened to, and not overly detailed.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 20
I agree with everyone, except trav. What Trav? Can I have some of what you're smoking rasta m@n?

An expert?

In what ways?

(this bass is faster than the other yall, take mah word pwetty pwetty pwetty plz???:O))

And yea, I think Kool Bubba Ice couldn't after said it better:It really depends on your musical preferences, and the likes(a la source, ampage(???), cables, mood, heck, even the environment you're in).

I've especially came to this conclusion when I realized that the after-effect of a FOTM(damn, did the DT 150's hit the FOTM status??? Pretty nice for a can that's been praised by -10 top-notch experts for a decadez and decades), the period of a can's popularity here on head-fi, when the people who weren't motivated to get the can based on the outward merits of it, but rather, were drawn to it by the hype, which imo is excitement, rather than a clear perception of what is...

...which leads to expectations based on what others have said, not what they think of as a can that can truly satisfy THEIR needs(cuz guess what, in the end, people hype stuff up that truly blow THEM away - the more level-headed peeps can say differently - which is why it MAY seem hyped)(I guess), which leads to a rebound to what they DO need(kinda like being shocked back into reality), which then leads to more of a "hey guys, it's not all that you think it really is blah blah blah:O)"...

...which, as a result, brings beautiful balance to da force, aka the semptipernal clashing ebbs and waves of the Force, aka our beliefs and opinions.

hey, what goes around comes around eh? Works out for the posterity - if the search function is able to guide them through 8 years of fotm's, and (let's do da math here, cuz I'm obviously writing too much) uuhhh uhuhhh uuhhhh

12 months= a year
8 years = 96 months
96 months = 1400000 fotms???

K, back to the drawing board, errr, I mean da writing pen.

haahahahahahahah may the force be with you

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kool bubba ice have you ever listened to the DT150?

Are the ratings i gave for the DT48 in the first post about right?

I'd give them a 1 for warmth..

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd give them a 1 for warmth..

I don't think i will be buying the DT48 then since i already have a quad headphone with similar specs as the DT48. No warmth and full on detail.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 20
I don't know if I'd use warmth as a criteria. The DT48 is the cold, clear light of dawn. You hear things as they really are. That being said, if a recording is made in an acoustically warm, rich venue, you will get that from the DT48. It doesn't get in the way. Detail is some of the best I've heard, regardless of price.

I have not heard the DT150, unfortunately. I'd love to have a pair and will eventually pick them up.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 20
Tiemen and DenL82 sorry for putting you guys in the spotlight. Suppose i should have added some rationale. Firstly i bought the DT 150 d/t you 2 gents descriptions of their sound. From the first moment i heard them until now, IMHO your sonic descriptions were very, very accurate; hence i am grateful i bought them. Sorry if made anyone uncomfortable.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 20
I own the dt150's and love the way they sound for classical/ instrumentals. While not as detailed as the dt880 or dt990 IMO the soundstage and overall balance is great. Not to say it isnt detailed as the instrument seperation for most film score recordings I hear are decent enough. I wouldn't call this phone warm though as the mids seem a little recessed

I am no basshead(i love my er4p !) but these phones go deep with loads of detail and adeque slam too.

One major isue as I live in a tropical climate is that these phones get VERY warm over here given that room temperature is about 28-30 deg C and the inital clamping force may be a little uncomfortable at first but with some stretching it works fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiemen and DenL82 sorry for putting you guys in the spotlight. Suppose i should have added some rationale. Firstly i bought the DT 150 d/t you 2 gents descriptions of their sound. From the first moment i heard them until now, IMHO your sonic descriptions were very, very accurate; hence i am grateful i bought them. Sorry if made anyone uncomfortable.

Laughter. Glad to hear that we have helped homie:O)

I was just humbling myself, and couldn't help but laugh at the same time.

fyi
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think i will be buying the DT48 then since i already have a quad headphone with similar specs as the DT48. No warmth and full on detail.

:lol: what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back