DT150- German Frankenbeyer in the haus (Review)
Feb 26, 2009 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Kernmac

1000+ Head-Fier
First impressions after 5 hours head-time.
nextDT150.jpg

Built like a tank.

The Look
Most people would describe the look of the DT150 as fitting into one of the two below categories.

1. Cheap plastic and vinyl headphone that you would find in a school or other public place, with half a dozen of them connected to a listening booth. The type CD stores have connected to their listening booths attached to the wall so you can “test” your music before purchase. Normally associated with crap headphones.

2. Professional studio Retro/vintage masterpiece, so understated that they are stylishly cool.

Whichever camp you belong to regarding the way DT150’s look off the head, there is no denying that on the head - they make you look like a dork.

The Comfort
I actually find the DT150 to be very comfortable, the headband is standard beyer pro fair and you hardly notice it on the top of your head (unless you look in the mirror-dork). The rectangular earcups seal onto the side of the head, but there isn’t any undue squashing of the face (they are circumarual so they leave your ears alone) and so apart from the usual pleather “heat” (these are thick pleather, more akin to vinyl) they are pretty cosy and restful.
I can wear these for several hours with no discomfort at all.

The Isolation
They isolate reasonably, without being world beaters, which surprised me a bit as they are a studio can. On the head with a decent seal they don’t leak too bad, but my wife can still hear the beats when in bed next to me, but only just. You could get away with these on a bus/train, if you had a portable rig that could drive them, and your ego could take several strangers pointing at you and mouthing-“Dork”. Certainly suitable for the office environment (your colleagues should stop laughing at you around day three).

Sound Overall
This is what we are here for isn’t it.
The DT150 is overall a warm sounding headphone, I think I would say dark, but I wouldn’t want to give the impression they are thunderous, boomy bass monsters, so I won’t use dark. They are more bass/mid focussed than mid/high focussed, so they contrast well with my still favourite headphone the DT880.

They have a full-bodied sound to them, powerful, smooth, they don’t give the impression of being detailed, but the detail is there. They are not what I would call an analytical or critical listening can, they are more relaxing, musical, a little laid back. But that is not to say they are boring or slow, because they are toe tappers and they have solid, fairly forward mids. Soundstage or headstage of the DT150 is moderately large and accurate, particularly for a closed fon. It isn’t DT880 airy, or a match for the K601 or AD900, but noticeably competent, probably comparable with an Ultrasone soundstage (minus the out of body experience, for all you pro logic plus gifted people).

Bass
Plenty of it, well controlled, definitely a focus of the DT150 without it being overpowering, it isn’t a bass head’s gift from above. For those that have had a K*01, AD*00, even a DT880 and would like more prominent bass without the doof doof subwoofer strapped to the side of your head, these might be worth a listen, albeit you would sacrifice some high end treble quality.

Mids
Mid range on these beyers is very good, vocals are clear, detailed and sweet, without ever being too dominant and not being drowned out by the bass focus, except on very bass orientated music. The acoustic and vocal dominated music I fed through the DT150s sounded superb, equal to or close to the quality I have had from K601, AD900 and DT880, although all still have slightly different signatures.

Highs
IMO the DT150 is weakest in the high frequencies, this is not to say it is a total loser in this department, as it is quite competent, however there is some roll off and it does seem to me to not extend as far as the afore mentioned fons, DT880, K601, AD900.
This lack of treble extension means no sibilance, however it also results in a darker than average presentation, a nice contrast to a more treble focused headphone.

Summary
Bass response is powerful and present, midrange is detailed and smooth. High end is controlled but not extended, if a little rolled off, giving them a fairly warm/dark sound. The Beyerdynamic DT150 is an excellent headphone for vocals and acoustic bassed music, and works well with most rock and even trance/electronic. Not so sure it would be ideal for classical or genres that the K701 and the like shine with. It isn’t as big as it looks in the pictures, it is relatively light and comfortable, it has a detachable cord, it looks indestructible and it reeks of retro chic, with just a (fair) bit of dork.

Well that’s my first impressions.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 58
Thank you for nice review. Looks like a headphones I should get in first place for listening to electronica/rock/new age instead of DT880.

Keep giving us your impression. /cheers

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 58
Great review, Kernmac. My impressions of the dt150 are very similar. They are great phones and built like a cockroach. Indestructible that is
smily_headphones1.gif
. They do need good amping though, but I imagine your LD MKV is more than up to the task.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 58
Great review....very objective.

i have heard these 3-4 times and really love them....my fav studio cans..

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 58
I consider the somewhat rolled-off highs a plus. They render CDs with excessive compression and sibilance listenable.
As an example, I was ready to get rid of my Katie Perry disc after listening to it on my DT770s. On the 150s, I enjoy it.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider the somewhat rolled-off highs a plus. They render CDs with excessive compression and sibilance listenable.
As an example, I was ready to get rid of my Katie Perry disc after listening to it on my DT770s. On the 150s, I enjoy it.

intoart, the DT150 are very good headphones, but they can't perform miracles.

Just pullin your leg, Katie Perry can Kiss all the girls she wants.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review, Kernmac. My impressions of the dt150 are very similar. They are great phones and built like a cockroach. Indestructible that is
smily_headphones1.gif
. They do need good amping though, but I imagine your LD MKV is more than up to the task.

Hi REB,

The DT150s do need a bit of power to shine to their best. And yes the Little Dot MKV has plenty of juice, it was agreat investment for my headphones. Mind you so was the Harman Kardon CDP, it taught me the benefit of a good source.

Thanks also to those that showed interest in my review, I 'm glad you liked it.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 58
Very nice review! My 880's should be in any day, can't wait to do my first comparo with them as well.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 58
Interesting review. I was considering the DT150 when I purchased my k240DF instead. Seems like they're kind of the polar opposite. The DF's are week in the low end but have wonderful highs(though the sibilance can get you with poorly recorded or encoded songs). The mids are excellent too (Sinatra never sounded better!), but not at all forward. The bass is the weak point with the DF's.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 58
Loved reading your excellent review.
And I agree completley with your findings.

Though I think the treble extension is on par with the K601, it's less refind.

This: "they don’t give the impression of being detailed, but the detail is there" is a very good observation. They don't slap the details into your face, but yes, they are there.
Sometimes I think I'm missing something, and I compare the music with my other phones. And come to the conclusion that I'm not missing anything.
I'm always surprised then, that these are more detailed than you would think.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 58
DT150 is my next purchase and this is exactly everything I'm hoping they are.
I'm also waiting for a Caliente amp, I hope this combo doesn't turn out too bassy. As long as the midrange is forward and present I think it'll be perfect for me.

Thanks for you review.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT150 is my next purchase and this is exactly everything I'm hoping they are.
I'm also waiting for a Caliente amp, I hope this combo doesn't turn out too bassy. As long as the midrange is forward and present I think it'll be perfect for me.

Thanks for you review.

I don't like excessive bass as for instance DT770 Pro 80, D2000 and KH-K1000 have (no offence intended, just my taste).
The DT150 have the bass I like: textured, solid, thumpy, providing a good foundation and not overpowering.
But others would disagree.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Loved reading your excellent review.
And I agree completley with your findings.

Though I think the treble extension is on par with the K601, it's less refind.

That may be a more accurate way of describing it. As declared I have only had about 5 hours headtime with the DT150, and although I got them from a fellow headfier, they don't have a lot of headtime all up either (very new looking). It will be interesting to listen to these when I have had about 50 hours on them, I will revisit this post and record my findings then.

Cheers Tiemen

And I agree with your bass description in above post.

apatN-when I have some more headtime on the DT150, I will post an amped vs unamped comparrison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back