DT150- German Frankenbeyer in the haus (Review)
Feb 27, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say, the closest sound to the DT150 is the K240 Sextett MP, but with the upper midrange and treble dropped and more bass extension, which makes it more of a mood headphone to me.

This is funny. I also had the Sextett MP. There are some similarities, but to my ears DT150 has better upper midrange and treble, and more defined and tuneful bass than the Sextett. Quite the opposite
regular_smile .gif

Also has the DT150 a wider soundstage than the Sextett.
For me, the DT150 is a cross between Sextett and the HD580, having the good qualities of those, and none of the bad. Except the HD580 having better comfort.
Chances are, if you don't like the AKG 240 Sextett and/or the HD580, you won't like the DT150 either.

Source can make a different in judging these phones. Out of my computer with Juli@ soundcart, the DT150 is not as good as when I use my Marantz CD player.

All the above is just my opinion and what I hear with my ears and my gear.
I think it's good to have different opinions on the same headphone. Like there is on every other one.
That makes Head-Fi so successful.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

FWIW, I have Greeni's first pair.

Yump, Holland's pair was obtained from myself. At that time I only had two weeks on them and probably not fully broken in. As soon as Holland report same observation I ring the bell that it is not a matter of drive capacity of the amp, and I made a promise to holland to 100% refund him if he is not good with these phones.

The two samples of dt150 crossing my path also seem to have very slightly different make. I wouldn't normally pay attention to minor details like these, but the pads of the second sample is a little more shiny and softer.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are several people who don't like the DT150, because of what they call a mid bass hump.
See for example http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...review-397729/
No need to say that I disagree and think the reviewer's source and amp has a relative poor match with the demanding DT150. The other headphones he reviewed have a lower impedance.

The difference between the DT770/80 and DT150 bass, is that the pro/80 has a hard hitting bass that you will notice instantly with a lot of music. It is in my opinion a little detached from the rest of the soundspectrum. It's a good bass, but just too much for my likings.

The DT150 bass is softer, rounder and more integrated in the soundspectrum, compared to the DT770/80.
And I hate the clamp and discomfort of the DT150, so I stretched the headband to a point that the earpads just hit my head without pressure. Maybe I have less bass by doing this.

And one important thing: the cable has to be on the right side of your head, while most other headphones has the entry on the left.
Putting them the wrong way on your head, gives a different sound.

Thanks for the link Tiemen, that review is trying (in part) to counter the hype about this phone. A mid bass hump is not always a bad thing IMO, sometimes it helps make the sound fuller and heavier as long as it doesn’t sound honky. Sorry I’m terrible at describing sound.
confused_face.gif

I know exactly what I like, I just can’t describe it as eloquently as you guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT150 does have slightly (only slightly) less bass than DT770 Pro. (The DT770s definitely do not have excessive bass, however. When I see someone claim that, I know that they must be bass-phobic.)

I consider midrange and soundstage to be the strongest assets of the DT150s. Vocals are so clear that I can practically judge the distance between the singer and the micrphone!

The highs are rolled-off, but I like that. I am more than willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of "sparkle" for a complete lack of sibilance (and the 150s have no problem doing justice to treble instruments such as piccolos and cymbals.)

Detail may not be quite as "etched" as K701, but it is certainly there.

I never expect to find headphones that I like better than DT150s. I may try others if the opportunity arises (and who knows? I might be surprised, but I doubt it.)

Intoart, if you say DT150 has only slightly less bass than DT770, that means it will have plenty for me, at least in theory.
My biggest gripe with DT770 is the recessed midrange, I feel like guitars and voices are too distant as if I was at a concert with the cheapest tickets. I do think DT770 has too much bass, but only relative to the other frequencies. I’m not a bass-phobic but I know exactly what you mean with that term. lol
I like rolled-off highs too and I’m also willing to sacrifice sparkle for unfatiguing sound, I never heard k701 and quite frankly I don’t want to.
Thank you for all your impressions.
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

Not a try. You asked for an opinion and got one. I will say, though, these are the darkest headphones I have ever heard. All my headphones are bright compared to it. Most of mine are on the bright side, but other headphones I own like the HD650 are bright compared to it. That's to give you a relative scale of what to expect. I don't think they are overly bassy. I've heard headphones that are more bass heavy, and I see you have the ATH-M50. I think the ATH-M50 sounds better and is way more neutral. It is a warm headphone in that the lower tones are more emphasized. I would say, the closest sound to the DT150 is the K240 Sextett MP, but with the upper midrange and treble dropped and more bass extension, which makes it more of a mood headphone to me.

The DT150 are worth hearing, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. I had very high hopes this would solve everything for me, based on the overly positive reviews, but the reality is that it doesn't. I hope with the positive comments and the negatives being highlighted you get a picture of what the headphone is. Beyer needs to make velour covered breathable pleather pads for this thing. I'm not sure I would want to try the DT100 pads.

IMO, the link Tiemen provided is very accurate (particularly the guitar comments if you're a metal fan like me). The OP basically states the same thing if you read the description on the ranges by the OP. They are stating the same thing, but in different ways. My setup is far from being underpowered. These headphones aren't difficult to drive, they are typical Beyer 250 ohm headphones. No worse, no better, in terms of driving requirements.

I hope you enjoy your DT150.

Hi Holland, I know you weren’t trying to deter me, I was only playing and I’m very serious now. 0_0
Calling HD650 "bright" relatively to DT150 makes me nervous *biting nails* thanks for helping me stay realistic and not expect too much out of this phone.
I haven’t bought M50 yet, my plan is to order both at the same time and listen to them with my new amp (not here yet)
I’m in desperate need of closed headphones and I think one of these two phones will be the sweet spot for me. Right now I’m using HD-25 with HD650 cable, it sounds better than stock but I still yearn for full size sound with more soundstage.
The most horrible thing I read about DT150 is that it’s no improvement over HD-25. The person was using it unamped, so I’m not worried about that.

Can’t wait to join Team DT150.
I belong to category 2 of people who think these look stylishly cool.

igig-albums-images-picture2081t-dork.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calling HD650 "bright" relatively to DT150 makes me nervous *biting nails*

I never heard the HD650, but I doubt that it's brighter than the HD580. And to my ears the darkness/ brightness of the DT150 is comparable to the HD580.

BTW iGig, if you like your HD650 and you need a closed headphone, why not take a look at the Kenwood KH-K1000? That's a great closed headhone as well, with a sound relative close to the HD650, according to Headfi-er Kees.
See: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ken...-k1000-344543/

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

I never heard the HD650, but I doubt that it's brighter than the HD580. And to my ears the darkness/ brightness of the DT150 is comparable to the HD580.

BTW iGig, if you like your HD650 and you need a closed headphone, why not take a look at the Kenwood KH-K1000? That's a great closed headhone as well, with a sound relative close to the HD650, according to Headfi-er Kees.
See: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ken...-k1000-344543/

oh Tiemen you're killing me here! It took me weeks to decide on these two models and now you throw another attractive pair in the mix.
icon10.gif

I bookmarked that thread and I'll revisit it in a couple of months, I'm already going over budget here, well you know how it is....

The HD650 has beautiful treble, very refined and responsive of sources and amps. If I can have something similar in a closed phone, I'll be totally happy.
That's it, I've made up my mind, enough reading about it. I'm placing my order today, ouchie my wallet.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #36 of 58
Nice review! I thought about pulling the trigger on one of those, but I got cold feet after hearing a pair of DT250's from a friend of mine. They sounded very muted and unlively..

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A mid bass hump is not always a bad thing IMO, sometimes it helps make the sound fuller and heavier as long as it doesn’t sound honky.
Intoart, if you say DT150 has only slightly less bass than DT770, that means it will have plenty for me, at least in theory.
My biggest gripe with DT770 is the recessed midrange, I feel like guitars and voices are too distant as if I was at a concert with the cheapest tickets. I like rolled-off highs too and I’m also willing to sacrifice sparkle for unfatiguing sound. Calling HD650 "bright" relatively to DT150 makes me nervous *biting nails* thanks for helping me stay realistic and not expect too much out of this phone.

Can’t wait to join Team DT150.
I belong to category 2 of people who think these look stylishly cool.

iGig,
IMO The DT150 doesn't have a mid bass hump that I can discern, however the sound sig is definately warm, smooth, full boddied but not "honky" to my ears. I haven't heard the DT770 pro, but based on what one reads, I would have thought it was a bass monster, and although the DT150 has plenty of bass (a feature and focus of the beyer cockroach-great analogy REB) I wouldn't say it is a bass monster with bass so dominate that it overpowers the sound spectrum. The DT150 has a nicely balanced sig IMO, smooth and warm, it just is more focussed toward bass than treble (as mentioned slightly rolled off, or less refined than treble/mid orientated cans like my DT880). I can't comment on the DT770 having recessed mids, but I don't think that the DT150 has recessed mids, the only times I have thought the mid range was a bit overpowered was with very bass orientated music. Having said that, electronic/trance type music (Four-Play, Prodigy) bass focussed music that does not rely too heavily on vocals, sounds a treat on the dorky beyer.

From what you have written and described regarding what you are looking for, I am confident the DT150 will suit you well, but it is always good to balance one's excitement with a touch of reality, as our perception of our headphones can depend on one's mood. IMO no can is always great, or always right, as the music, the recording quality (and many other variables)and simply the listeners mood can affect the perception of the sound. Having at least two headphones, preferably with some significant contrast is a good idea IMO.

And iGig, I fit into category 2 reagrding the off the head looks of this stylishly retro chic old school beast as well, but looking in the mirror and copping the flack from my wife and children reminds me I look like a dork with them on my head. Perhaps other Headfiers have more personal Cool than I do and can get away with the Dr Who Cyberman headband look. Enjoy your DT150, I know I am.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #38 of 58
Hi Kernmac, thanks for giving me reassurance that the dorky beyer would suit my needs. I have been reading about them for quite some time and it's only in the last week that I decided to pull the trigger on these.

I have no idea what reaction I'll get from my husband when he sees me wearing these, he'll either tease me or tell me to leave them on. It's up to him if he wants to sleep on the couch....
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #39 of 58
The DT150 does have slightly recessed mids. It is very apparent relative to mid-boosted headphones. I'm not sure where you are coming from. It's mids are less recessed than the DT770 Pro and the DT770 2005, and less recessed than the DT880. The DT880 (and DT770 2005) has a large treble peak, which, if you take into account means you have recessed bass and mids. However, in it's relative range (within itself), the DT150s mids are OK and does have a lower-mid peak (not mid-bass). What I mean by this is that you can *really* hear snare drums resonance and decay (not the attack) and the bass line. It, in fact, calls those out. I don't have to "strain" to hear bass lines behind a double guitar mix. At the same time it pushes guitars to the background, instead of being very upfront like in a Grado or moderately so like the other Beyers. When I visualize that, I describe that as a lower-mid peak. I don't have measurement tools for this and haven't run a FR sweep while listening to it, but that's what it appears to be. It's something there, but I don't know the exact frequency range. It's definitely not mid-bass like my DT990 and is higher up in the spectrum.

The instrument separation is good in the DT150, FWIW. Tonally, I find the ATH-M50 better, but at the same time the ATH-M50 is congested and smeared. The DT150 is not. It is crisp in the attack and decay of notes, with good separation, and sound stage. If only the highs were better.

However, compared to my DT770 2005, I find the DT770 2005 better overall (think closed DT880 2005). It makes the DT150 sound boxy. The DT770 2005 is much brighter though and some people cannot tolerate that. I do use a 120-ohm adapter to bring it into the norm (Beyer's A1 amp has a 100 ohm output impedence so I use 120 ohm adapters on almost all my Beyers except the DT150). I also like bright headphones, so it's not a problem for me. I'm a Beyer fan and have 5 different pairs right now.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #40 of 58
holland,
I just don't agree that the DT880 has recessed mids and bass. That is a description of a severely lacking headphone, and IMO the DT880 is a first class HIFI fon. On my system, with my ears the DT880 is very well balanced (exceptional high range granted) but mid and bass recessed, I think not. Clearly, you're not going to agree with me, and I have no intention of trying to convice you otherwise, to each their own.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #42 of 58
holland,
read the above post again.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Would you agree that it has boosted treble? Boosted treble == recessed mids and bass.

No.
The DT770 2005 edition has a boosted treble, but not recessed mids and bass.
I think the bass and mids on the DT770 2005 are just right, the treble ain't.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

No.
The DT770 2005 edition has a boosted treble, but not recessed mids and bass.
I think the bass and mids on the DT770 2005 are just right, the treble ain't.

It's defining a semantic relationship between them. If you boost, you receed others. It's language that people seem to get upset about and seem to ignore and predefine in a different way.

It's correct to say it's recessed. See 3a below.

1: the action of receding : recession
2: a hidden, secret, or secluded place or part
3 a: indentation , cleft <a deep recess in the hill> b: alcove <a recess lined with books>
4: a suspension of business or procedure often for rest or relaxation <children playing at recess>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back