DT150- German Frankenbeyer in the haus (Review)
Feb 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This: "they don’t give the impression of being detailed, but the detail is there" is a very good observation. They don't slap the details into your face, but yes, they are there.
Sometimes I think I'm missing something, and I compare the music with my other phones. And come to the conclusion that I'm not missing anything.
I'm always surprised then, that these are more detailed than you would think.

Yes, they are detailed. I am constantly discovering new subtleties on recordings I have heard a thousand times!.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apatN-when I have some more headtime on the DT150, I will post an amped vs unamped comparrison.

Thanks. Would be fun to read as I always heard these things need amplification.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like excessive bass as for instance DT770 Pro 80, D2000 and KH-K1000 have (no offence intended, just my taste).
The DT150 have the bass I like: textured, solid, thumpy, providing a good foundation and not overpowering.
But others would disagree.

Very nice, this is what I'm looking for as well. I prefer the bass on HD-25 to the DT770 as an example.
The reason I'm a little concerned about the amout of bass I'll get is because the Caliente amp has a little bit of a bass boost. It's supposed to integrate nicely with the HD650, evening out the midbass hump, but I don't know how it will affect the DT150.
This will be a fun experimet, I can't wait to find out.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #19 of 58
There's something I find a little puzzling:
Tiemen says he doesn't like excessive bass like DT770, but he likes DT150. intoart says DT770 doesn't have excessive bass and he likes DT150 better.
Did I get this right? How does this work?
I understand people have different taste, but this is a direct contradiction of opinions.

Does anybody NOT like DT150?

I like DT770 a little, and I'm betting $200 that I'll like DT150 a lot.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Search. There's one thread which I agree with completely.

I don't dislike it, but I'm not crazy about it neither. The highs are recessed, and lacks sparkle. There is a coloration in the lower mids that makes it sound like you're listening through a tube on some things.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Search. There's one thread which I agree with completely.

I don't dislike it, but I'm not crazy about it neither. The highs are recessed, and lacks sparkle. There is a coloration in the lower mids that makes it sound like you're listening through a tube on some things.

Thank you holland. I did a quick search and didn't find anything too negative. I'll search again later.
The OP addressed the treble roll off and it's something that I actually welcome because I tend to enjoy a darker sound. The lower mids coloration I have to hear for myself so you have failed in deterring me from getting these. Nice try.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #22 of 58
seeing OP also has DT880 and AD900, I am not surprised that he feel a little "too much" bass with DT150.

DT150's bass is not at all excessive in the full spectrum of all headphones. The highs are certainly more sparkling than that of now classic HD600/650. The mid is much more neutral, not recessed but nicely "staged".

For under $200, I don't think you can find any cans better in any aspects.

Five thumbs up for DT150!

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seeing OP also has DT880 and AD900, I am not surprised that he feel a little "too much" bass with DT150.

G'Day ast,

I don't think I am saying they have "too much" bass.
I think they are bass/mid focussed as opposed to mid/high focussed, but I don't believe I say anywhere that it is overpowering, boomy or simply too much bass. And yes they are in contrast to the DT880 which are mid/high focussed and are more analytical and do have a brighter signature. Just wanted to clear this up, I don't want to be misquoted/misrepresented.

The DT150 is overall a warm sounding headphone, I think I would say dark, but I wouldn’t want to give the impression they are thunderous, boomy bass monsters, so I won’t use dark. They are more bass/mid focussed than mid/high focussed, so they contrast well with my still favourite headphone the DT880.
Bass
Plenty of it, well controlled, definitely a focus of the DT150 without it being overpowering, it isn’t a bass head’s gift from above.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Tiemen says he doesn't like excessive bass like DT770, but he likes DT150. intoart says DT770 doesn't have excessive bass and he likes DT150 better.
I understand people have different taste, but this is a direct contradiction of opinions.

There are several people who don't like the DT150, because of what they call a mid bass hump.
See for example http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...review-397729/
No need to say that I disagree and think the reviewer's source and amp has a relative poor match with the demanding DT150. The other headphones he reviewed have a lower impedance.

The difference between the DT770/80 and DT150 bass, is that the pro/80 has a hard hitting bass that you will notice instantly with a lot of music. It is in my opinion a little detached from the rest of the soundspectrum. It's a good bass, but just too much for my likings.

The DT150 bass is softer, rounder and more integrated in the soundspectrum, compared to the DT770/80.
And I hate the clamp and discomfort of the DT150, so I stretched the headband to a point that the earpads just hit my head without pressure. Maybe I have less bass by doing this.

And one important thing: the cable has to be on the right side of your head, while most other headphones has the entry on the left.
Putting them the wrong way on your head, gives a different sound.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

The DT150 does have slightly (only slightly) less bass than DT770 Pro. (The DT770s definitely do not have excessive bass, however. When I see someone claim that, I know that they must be bass-phobic.)

I consider midrange and soundstage to be the strongest assets of the DT150s. Vocals are so clear that I can practically judge the distance between the singer and the micrphone!

The highs are rolled-off, but I like that. I am more than willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of "sparkle" for a complete lack of sibilance (and the 150s have no problem doing justice to treble instruments such as piccolos and cymbals.)

Detail may not be quite as "etched" as K701, but it is certainly there.

I never expect to find headphones that I like better than DT150s. I may try others if the opportunity arises (and who knows? I might be surprised, but I doubt it.)

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #26 of 58
I have had two dt150 crossing my path, one of which I owned for a short time. My experience with the first pair goes with a portable headamp, and I noticed the bass hump and somewhat roll off highs reported by some member. The second pair, which I heard in a different set up, however appear to have lesser of the issue.

I used to think that the slight issue I heard with the first pair is because the portable headamp do not have the current capacity to properly drive these high impedence phones, but subsequent events lead me to re-think that there may be some sort of difference in quality between the two samples. That may be the reason why these phones seem to have such diverse opinion. It may only be my wild guess, and as I heard the two samples in different set up I cannot be sure.

We are not talking about day and night difference, however, and the overiding character reside with both samples. I agree they are on the side of darker sounding, but my feeling is that it is more a factor of tonality rather than frequency anomaly with bass, much like some Mark Levison are darker sounding but not necessarily have more bass energy than Krell counterparts. The darker sound notwithstanding, I actually think the dt150 preserve instrumental timbre better than some other brighter sounding cans I heard. As always there will be many others with a different preference though.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with the first pair goes with a portable headamp, and I noticed the bass hump and somewhat roll off highs reported by some member.

I have never heard this alleged bass "hump". If I did hear it, what would it sound like? It is certainly nothing even remotely obvious!

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

I have had two dt150 crossing my path, one of which I owned for a short time. My experience with the first pair goes with a portable headamp, and I noticed the bass hump and somewhat roll off highs reported by some member. The second pair, which I heard in a different set up, however appear to have lesser of the issue.

I used to think that the slight issue I heard with the first pair is because the portable headamp do not have the current capacity to properly drive these high impedence phones, but subsequent events lead me to re-think that there may be some sort of difference in quality between the two samples. That may be the reason why these phones seem to have such diverse opinion. It may only be my wild guess, and as I heard the two samples in different set up I cannot be sure.

We are not talking about day and night difference, however, and the overiding character reside with both samples

I was thinking the same. There are sound variations between same models. I owned some headphones twice, and they sounded noticeble different.
I think the same problems bothers the Denon's.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Thank you holland. I did a quick search and didn't find anything too negative. I'll search again later.
The OP addressed the treble roll off and it's something that I actually welcome because I tend to enjoy a darker sound. The lower mids coloration I have to hear for myself so you have failed in deterring me from getting these. Nice try.
wink.gif

Not a try. You asked for an opinion and got one. I will say, though, these are the darkest headphones I have ever heard. All my headphones are bright compared to it. Most of mine are on the bright side, but other headphones I own like the HD650 are bright compared to it. That's to give you a relative scale of what to expect. I don't think they are overly bassy. I've heard headphones that are more bass heavy, and I see you have the ATH-M50. I think the ATH-M50 sounds better and is way more neutral. It is a warm headphone in that the lower tones are more emphasized. I would say, the closest sound to the DT150 is the K240 Sextett MP, but with the upper midrange and treble dropped and more bass extension, which makes it more of a mood headphone to me.

The DT150 are worth hearing, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. I had very high hopes this would solve everything for me, based on the overly positive reviews, but the reality is that it doesn't. I hope with the positive comments and the negatives being highlighted you get a picture of what the headphone is. Beyer needs to make velour covered breathable pleather pads for this thing. I'm not sure I would want to try the DT100 pads.

IMO, the link Tiemen provided is very accurate (particularly the guitar comments if you're a metal fan like me). The OP basically states the same thing if you read the description on the ranges by the OP. They are stating the same thing, but in different ways. My setup is far from being underpowered. These headphones aren't difficult to drive, they are typical Beyer 250 ohm headphones. No worse, no better, in terms of driving requirements.

I hope you enjoy your DT150.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

We are not talking about day and night difference, however, and the overiding character reside with both samples. I agree they are on the side of darker sounding, but my feeling is that it is more a factor of tonality rather than frequency anomaly with bass, much like some Mark Levison are darker sounding but not necessarily have more bass energy than Krell counterparts. The darker sound notwithstanding, I actually think the dt150 preserve instrumental timbre better than some other brighter sounding cans I heard. As always there will be many others with a different preference though.

FWIW, I have Greeni's first pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back