DT 990 vs DT 770?
Jan 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BIonde

New Head-Fier
Hello guys. 

Could any Beyerdynamic headphone owners that listen to Hip-Hop, electronic music (dubstep, drum and bass, progressive) or game with their headphones please help me out? 

I want to buy a new pair of headphones so I've decided to try out Beyer's offerings. I'm currently thinking about either the DT 770 or DT 990. I've read through pretty much all of the comparison threads but I've noticed that most of the people in the discussions listened exclusively to classical music, acoustics or jazz. The DT 880s seem a little bit too analytic for these genres. 

Unfortunately parts of my set-up broke so the only amp I have right now is a CMOY, which is why I'm also thinking about getting the DT 770 Pro 80s. I'll only be able to get a new soundcard for my PC in June (currently using RealTek integrated on my Z68). I had some Grado Sr80s but had to return those after one of the drivers got spoiled so whichever I buy will be the only headphones that I'll have for quite some time, which is my I am worried about the DT 990's treble being too fatiguing if I can't properly drive them. 

So keeping all of this in mind, which ones would you guys recommend? 

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 15
You're bumping after one hour?  People will read your post and will get back to you.  There's lots of knowledgeable people here and will get back to you once you get a chance.  As far as overall thread etiquette goes, some people are turned off by impatience and bumps, and may even avoid your post just for the principle of it.

But, to answer your question, get the DT770 32 ohm and be done with it.  They are great cans.  You can run them off portable amps with no problem and they still respond extremely well from more powerful amps.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
I want to buy a new pair of headphones so I've decided to try out Beyer's offerings. I'm currently thinking about either the DT 770 or DT 990. I've read through pretty much all of the comparison threads but I've noticed that most of the people in the discussions listened exclusively to classical music, acoustics or jazz.

Both the DT770 and DT990 have emphasized bass and treble with good extension, and relatively recessed mids. The main difference is that the former is closed (isolates noise), while the latter is open (clearer and more spacious sound, but leaks and does not isolate). Also, the bass response is different, the 990 has a hump centered at about 100 Hz, so it is "punchier", while the 770 emphasizes mainly deeper bass ("thump") around 40-50 Hz. Of the two versions of the DT770 Pro, the 80 Ohm one is said to have more bass, while the 250 Ohm version (I only have that) is brighter.

Quote:
Unfortunately parts of my set-up broke so the only amp I have right now is a CMOY, which is why I'm also thinking about getting the DT 770 Pro 80s.

CMOY amplifiers do not necessarily work better with low impedance headphones. In fact, it can easily be the other way around if there is enough supply voltage (i.e. 2x9V batteries, or a 18-24V DC power supply), making 250 Ohm a good option, since general purpose op-amps the CMOYs are usually based on, like the OPA2134, are typically designed for low current and high impedance loads. Nevertheless, the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm is not bad either, but I would avoid the 32 Ohm versions that need the most current.

Quote:
which is my I am worried about the DT 990's treble being too fatiguing if I can't properly drive them. 

Using a more powerful amplifier will not make the treble much less present, other than tube amplifiers that make the sound "warm" by rolling off the highs. If you are really worried about sharp treble, avoid both the 770 and the 990, and get the 880 Pro instead, but that also has less bass - it is not bass light, but maybe not ideal for your preferences. Alternatively, you may also consider headphones from other brands, there are models that meet all your requirements of emphasized bass, smooth treble, and being easy to drive.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 15
If you're the guy who posted on Reddit earlier today, then well, you know a lot of this already:

Beyer owner here. I've had a set of DT770 Pro-80's for about five years now. You know, the rugged all-black plastic ones. For the past two years, I've worn them every day, 7-ish hours/day while at my desk. They're extremely comfortable and sound awesome driven by my old computer (24" iMac) and my new one (Mac Pro) without any additional amplification. Also, they can be had for under $200 brand-new. The treble IS detailed, some say exaggeratedly so but I can't complain. The bass is extremely deep and tight, pronounced but not boomy in my experience. (For reference, I would use "boomy" to describe Bose QuietComfort, Monster Beats Pro,  B&W P5 and the Beyer DT235.) Some people will tell you that the beyer "pro" models all clamp too tightly on your head, but the magic of Beyers is that it's easily adjustable. Unlike Sennheisers with their fat plastic headbands, the Beyers have a sturdy piece of steel comprising the backbone of the headband. This piece of steel has an easily-replaceable cushy pad snapped over it. In order to "adjust" them to your head, you just lightly bend the headband out, try for fit, repeat until they're loose enough that you don't notice them anymore. For more pressure and isolation, bend them back in again. The earcups are really deep so that the speaker grille doesn't press up against your ears (a big problem for me with most headphones) and the velour pad is soft and more than big enough to completely surround your ears.

I briefly listened to the DT990 Premium 32-ohm model last week and thought they sounded friggin' fantastic, but can't say if they'd replace my 770's. The soundstage was noticeably bigger and they were more bassy than the DT880's next door, but I'd need some quality time to determine if they're significantly better than the 770 Pros. Being an open design, though, they suffer a bit for my purposes by leaking sound in both directions. I'd still consider picking up a pair for listening at home, at the right price. I'd be curious as to how they stack up to my Grado SR225's, my dedicated home headphone.

I built an 18v Cmoy almost a year ago and didn't hear any improvement with the 770. Haven't used it since a month after I built the thing. I also later bought a NuForce uDac2 which I returned after a week-- it gave me more volume but no real improvement in sound quality (plus, benchtop testing says it's actually *worse* than many onboard sound cards, if it really counts). So I continue using my Beyers without an additional amp or DAC, and to my ears the sound is still great. After 5 years of pretty heavy use the earpads have flattened out by about 30%, so just today I ordered a replacement set from B&H for under $30 shipped. Oh, and I've used them while playing FPS games and they're friggin' superb for spatial positioning and detail.

**EDIT** Heck, man. Here you go, $167.95 with free shipping! I'd be surprised if anything could touch this kind of quality (and longevity, and comfort) at that price.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 15
Thank you so much guys! 

Now have any of you tried your DT 770s or DT 990s with orchestral or classical music? Not too important, but I do sometimes enjoy listening to piano compositions. 

@DoctBlasto,

No, I don't recall making any posts on Reddit (haha). Thanks for the heads-up about the adjustable headband, although I don't think the clamping force will be a problem. I don't mind exaggerated treble, but I really would hate for it to be at such an extreme that listening to music for prolonged periods of time becomes fatiguing (I heard one person describe the treble like a chainsaw).

The reason why I'm so drawn towards the DT 990s is because they seem to be a jack of all trade headphones. The bass response would definitely make electronic music and Hip-Hop enjoyable, but the vast soundstage would also be awesome for gaming (Counter-Strike player reporting in).

Oh, and thanks a lot for the link! That's $30 cheaper than what Amazon is offering (and I'm also pretty sure they've run out of stock >.<). Closed headphones would also be nice for recording or when I don't want to disturb my family or friends. 

@stv014

You said that there are other cans from other manufactures that could meet all of my requirements, could you please list some of what you had in mind to give me a rough idea? I already had a pair of Grado Sr225is and Audio Technica M50s. 

I also have a shot at getting the AKG 701 and 702 for $200 and $210 respectively. I've heard people raving about their soundstage, but I've also unfortunately heard that they are a little bass light. Basically, would it make sense to buy the AKGs now (let's face it, I'm never going to find them at this price point ever again) and then later buy the DT 770s later down the road to compliment them? I'm very curious as to how such "pristine" and "detailed" headphones would sound like. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 15
The k701/2s are great for orchestral/classical music, but for your purposes and the genres you listen to, you might not be satisfied with the bass (and without a powerful amp stuff like the soundstage might not be that apparent), and the beyers would probably suit you more for the genres you listed, despite losing to the akgs in classical/orchestral.  

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 15
A good website to find the best prices on headphones is Bountii.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Thank you so much guys! 

Now have any of you tried your DT 770s or DT 990s with orchestral or classical music? Not too important, but I do sometimes enjoy listening to piano compositions. 

I've bought my DT 770 pro 250ohm specifically for classical and I'm really quite pleased with them. Clarity is nice, instrument seperation is good, soundstage is reasonably wide.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
No, I don't recall making any posts on Reddit (haha). Thanks for the heads-up about the adjustable headband, although I don't think the clamping force will be a problem. I don't mind exaggerated treble, but I really would hate for it to be at such an extreme that listening to music for prolonged periods of time becomes fatiguing (I heard one person describe the treble like a chainsaw).

The reason why I'm so drawn towards the DT 990s is because they seem to be a jack of all trade headphones. The bass response would definitely make electronic music and Hip-Hop enjoyable, but the vast soundstage would also be awesome for gaming (Counter-Strike player reporting in).

Oh, and thanks a lot for the link! That's $30 cheaper than what Amazon is offering (and I'm also pretty sure they've run out of stock >.<). Closed headphones would also be nice for recording or when I don't want to disturb my family or friends.

I have been listening to my DT770 Pro-80's 7 hours a day, 5 days a week ever since I landed my current desk job (about 2 years). I assure you that the treble is not fatiguing to my ears. My beloved Grado SR225's are a little harsher on that listening schedule (I've tried) but the Beyers are just peachy. I'm sensitive to that sort of "sibilance" in treble that needles my eardrums and if these headphones do that it probably means I'm listening too loud. The extremely deep bass and slightly boosted treble means that even at quiet listening levels, they exhibit noticeable treble detail and the deepest, most subtle atmospheric bass I've ever personally heard in a headphone.

I listen to classical music sometimes as well. Just yesterday I spent about 2 hours listening to Arvo Part piano compositions, and the sound is sublime. Don't let anybody tell you that you don't want deep bass for classical music.

Team Fortress 2. The DT770 is a fabulous gaming headphone from my perspective. The soundstage is surprisingly large for a closed headphone and offers a great sense of spatial positioning. Beyerdynamic even makes a version of the 770 with a boom mic and optional USB interface called the MMX300 that is specifically for gaming. It costs almost twice as much as the 770 Pro last I checked. From my limited experience with the 990, I think they have a VERY similar sound signature, but the 770 isolates better and offers deeper bass, and the 990 is an open design (you'll hear what's going on around you more clearly) with a somewhat, but not hugely, bigger soundstage. I hear that the 880 is really great if you're into super-flat sound, but I thought that the sound was too "middle of my head" compared to both the 770 and 990, which are capable of fooling you into thinking that sounds are coming from the next room (or outside, for that matter).

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #13 of 15
Information overload! Too much technical stuff (still learning). Looking at the dt990s and 770s - which one is more along the lines with the xb500s? Also, not sure whether to go with open or closed?

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 15
  Information overload! Too much technical stuff (still learning). Looking at the dt990s and 770s - which one is more along the lines with the xb500s? Also, not sure whether to go with open or closed?

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. If you don't need noise isolation you can go with dt990; they are a bit more comfortable and have a very spacious sound with great bass. I was a bit more impressed with dt770 because they have more sub-bass and more forward mids, which is why I picked them, but truth be told you'd probably get adjusted over a week anyway so it won't matter.

And please don't fall into trap that you absolutely need an amp for them - that's what people will generally tell you and it's an exaggeration at best. If you can't afford more pricier dac/amp combos don't bother at all 'cause you'll just be wasting money for no real improvement in sound quality.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 15
 Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. If you don't need noise isolation you can go with dt990; they are a bit more comfortable and have a very spacious sound with great bass. I was a bit more impressed with dt770 because they have more sub-bass and more forward mids, which is why I picked them, but truth be told you'd probably get adjusted over a week anyway so it won't matter.  
And please don't fall into trap that you absolutely need an amp for them - that's what people will generally tell you and it's an exaggeration at best. If you can't afford more pricier dac/amp combos don't bother at all 'cause you'll just be wasting money for no real improvement in sound quality.

Thanks! I'm still not sure if I am going to go with the 990 or 770. I usually listen at a lower volume (I don't really blast anything, maybe 25% of the time). Really miss not having my 500s, I think they are definitely the most comfortable for me so far. Any idea if I can put the xb500 pads on the 770/990 somehow?

I prefer isolated, but it is not a necessity - just looking for the 'better' sounding one. To be fair, I don't think I have ever owned some open-ended ones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back