Dt 990 Pros
May 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:
One last thing, how do they compare to the DT770s 250ohm

I own both the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
I rarely use the DT770s anymore. I do prefer using open headphones.
The DT990 are full bass, full treble, nice sound stage, decent vocals, the vocals are very clear, but the bass and treble can overshadow the vocals for some where vocals are really important, but I have no problem with the vocals.
I like to call my DT990s "Movie Theater" headphones.
The DT770 can block noise, they are great sounding to me for a closed headphone.

May 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 53
Quote:
Will i still need an amp to play on low volume?

You do want to use an amp with them, other wise they sound worse then the XB500s.

May 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:
Will i still need an amp to play on low volume?

You might not, although many integrated sound cards and DAPs will not make the best of these headphones, even though they will play them loud enough. You might not get the entire DT990 experience since the dynamic range might be compromised. It is difficult to foresee if you'll need an amp without trying them first. I'd get the headphones first and see how they work with your current source. I would then try to audition an amp to see if there is any audible improvement. 

May 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #23 of 53
Although I don't see an issue with running the Pros ampless on low volumes, you won't be getting all the dynamics.

May 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:
Wait, so is using my phone not as good as an ipod or mp3 player?

It might not be but you can't know for sure unless you actually compare them (preferably a blind test). Some (most?) phones have low quality sound systems as good sound is not a priority in phone design. DAPs typically have better DACs and amps than mobile phones, but there are also some exceptions to this rule. You should find out what the specs of your devices are and how they measure. You will then be able to better predict how well they'd be able to drive the DT990.

May 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:
This is an over-generalization that is fallacious. They might sound just fine if the OP's source is already capable enough of driving them. Many DAPs are not able to drive them well but many do just fine. 

I'm just trying to keep (scare) BubbaThing from buying the DT990 without a decent amplifier.
The DT990 might work half-way decently with what he uses now, but he may not realize what he might be missing, not using a decent amp.
I did not really think anyone would take it seriously about the DT990 sounding worse then the XB500.

May 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:
I'm just trying to keep (scare) BubbaThing from buying the DT990 without a decent amplifier.
The DT990 might work half-way decently with what he uses now, but he may not realize what he might be missing, not using a decent amp.
I did not really think anyone would take it seriously about the DT990 sounding worse then the XB500.

No worries :) It is true that it is very likely that the DT990 will not be driven properly by whatever DAP or phone the OP has. I was just trying to make a point that we can't know this for sure without specifically knowing what these devices are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back