DT 990 Pros Clamping Force
Oct 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Stark-

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

So I've decided to finally get myself a pair of decent headphones! After reading a lot of reviews, it seems like the DT990s are the one for me. It'll mostly be used for long gaming sessions and movies so comfort is a big issue. I've had a pair of Shure SRH440s in the past and had to sell them because the clamping force was just way too high. I would get a headache after 20-30 minutes of use. Now I've heard the DT990 Pros have a relatively high clamping force. Does anyone know if it clamps as much as the SRH440s? I don't know anyone with a pair of DT990s so I can't try it out myself.

I would really like to go with the Premiums, but I can get the Pros for only $165 whereas the Premiums are $370.

Also, how effective is stretching the headphones out on some books? Would you be able to reduce the clamp to be similar to the Premium version?

Thanks

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, how effective is stretching the headphones out on some books? Would you be able to reduce the clamp to be similar to the Premium version?

You can actually bend the headband outwards to reduce the clamping force, it is basically a steel plate wrapped in the replaceable headband pad. I do not know how it compares to the SRH440, but in the case of the Shures the problem is apparently not just the clamping, but also the uncomfortable/low quality headband and ear pads.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

You can actually bend the headband outwards to reduce the clamping force, it is basically a steel plate wrapped in the replaceable headband pad. I do not know how it compares to the SRH440, but in the case of the Shures the problem is apparently not just the clamping, but also the uncomfortable/low quality headband and ear pads.

Yeah the SRH440 had many comfort problems. The ear pads were too hard and after a while, it felt like the headband was drilling into your skull.

I'm not sure how comfortable I would be bending the headband by hand.. but its good to hear that you can actually reduce the clamping force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back