DT 880 or DT 990
Jun 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #16 of 18
I think I may be starting to value linear sound reproduction over "fun cans" these really have some oomph and electricity to them but when I am just relaxing focusing across the frequency band I notice that overall clarity is just not there ATM.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:
I think I may be starting to value linear sound reproduction over "fun cans" these really have some oomph and electricity to them but when I am just relaxing focusing across the frequency band I notice that overall clarity is just not there ATM.

the dt990 just seemed kind of weird to me, prominent treble and bass made the mids less noticeable and recessed. the dt880 is far more balanced with warm source/amp with the treble being less harsher but adding a bit of bass quantity. the dt880 have the most detail out of the midrange beyers imo and the only nitpick is that without warm components, it's a bit too bright, but nothing that would induce bleeding from the ears.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #18 of 18
I bought the DT990 cans (600 ohm) after briefly owning a pair of highly rated phones that disappointed in the treble department. The 990s certainly deliver. I've got several other pairs (including the 1350s, but the 990s are my go-to cans. Yes, sometimes I attenuate the treble with a slight EQ tweak, depending on the source. And they feel great. All phones should have "velour" pads (yea, I know, this could affect the sound on some headphones, but the eventual deterioration of pleather has put some of my earlier sets in the bin). The open design also allows me to hear the phone (or my wife yelling at me). When I want more isolation, I go to the 1350s. They certainly sound "smaller" and closed-in, but sometimes that's nice for a change of pace. Hope you're enjoying your cans. BTW, I listen to the 990s through a Pioneer receiver via a Macbook Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back