DT 880 (32 ohm) vs SRH 940
Jul 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kutibotond

New Head-Fier
Hello world of head-fi!

I read tons of stuff off head-fi and felt that now is the time when I really need to post to ask for your help.

I wish to upgrade from a K240 Studio and after even months of research I got to these two headphones. Dispite the fact that the SHURE is closed and the BEYER is semi-open i found them to be very similar and no one compared them yet.

Since I don't have a powerfull headphone amp (I have a E-MU 0204 soundcard wich has a litlle amp in it) I had to chose the 32 ohm version of the BEYER and I'm not really interested in the 250 and 600 versions.

So I'm asking the more experienced ones to point out the main differences, advantages and cons of both. Compare them from all important view's. Maybe suggest other ones. Don't bother with open ones cause my environment won't let me use those.

By looking at Headrooms freq response it concludes that the SRH 940 is bassier but from what I red the Beyer's seemd bassier.

I'm not a basshead btw I just loved the K240 bass and missed the highs a bit. So I'm looking for the most improvements as I can get. After all these are in the most expensive categories that I would want to still reach. I live in Romania and from here both cost about the same amount : 260 euro at the moment (370 usd)

The most important genre's for me are: classical, hip hop, and rock. In my opinion if these sound grate than all sounds grate.

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 16
UPDATE

I now decided that I'm gonna sell my E-MU and buy an Audio-GD NFB-12. Than maybe choose the 600 ohm Beyer beacause it's even cheaper :|.

Come on guy's give me some feedback!

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 16
If your going for bass the Beyers are what you want, but if you want more detail and a sort of precise/analytical sound then pick up the 940s. The 940s have bass but from what I read its definitely NOT on the same level as the 880s.

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 16
Hard to tell, the only person here who has had both is Katun I think and he seemed to like the 940 more.

Read through the comments here, they get compared:

http://www.headfonia.com/shure-srh-940-detail-monster/

Apparently the two sound really similar, but the 940 has better midrange and vocals, the quantity of bass is very similar, and the 940 probably has less treble. I'd guess the 940's soundstage can't really compare to the 880 since it's closed, but to me it's definitely better than the other headphones I own.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 16
If in doubt, then get the DT880. They have gotten a lot of feed back over the years and unless you can get a quote from someone who owns both, the DT880 seems to be the safer choice. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 16
It is semi-open. I'm not sure how the semi-opennes of the DT 880 compare with the K240 S. If they are similar that would be grate. Someone told in a video review that it isolates just a little :| wich maybe is too little for me. Still need feedback about that.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 16
With music playing through the DT 880 you can hear your own voice easily still.
Other loud noises can come in but for home use for the most part I would think it would be isolating enough.

What exactly are you trying to block out?

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 16
I once bought a K501 and when I put theme on I realised what openness means and no isolation at all means . The problem was it was bothering my parents in the next room. There is'nt much isolation from my room's door so I feel I have to go with some amount of isolation.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 16
You would have to be listening to the DT 880 at insanely loud levels for it to come into another room if you're in your room with the door closed.
Even with the door open I don't think anyone in a other room could hear it you would have to listening to them super loud.

Now if someone is standing at the entrance to the room yes you can hear them.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 16
The DT880s might be open/semi-open, but the leakage factor isn't that high. Most of the sound is contained while wearing them.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 16
That's a good news. I was hoping for that. Now I just need to get convinced that even hip-hop and rap will sound good from it. I'm not all about bass I just want it to have that thump that you might expect from the genre. I understood for rock music it rocks :) and it's good for classical too. If these are corect and you can not tell me a better/cheaper alternative than that's the way I want to go.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 16
I've owned DT 880s (250 ohm) for a couple of years and think they are exceptional headphones.

On the other hand, after bringing home and listening to Shure 940s for a few days, I returned them.
Pretty good headphones but not anything very special and not worth 299USD to me.
Didn't have time to break them in; it would have gone past the seller's date for returning them.

You wrote about the DT 880s:
"Now I just need to get convinced that even hip-hop and rap will sound good from it."

If that means you want to hear a lot of bass with a lot of slam, I'd say the 880's are not for you.
The clarity, dimensionality and sparkle will be there - along with accurate bass - but the bass is not
overly present and powerful.

So I'm dissuading you from getting the DT 880s if your looking for 'monster' bass.
And, in any event, that type of bass is more likely to come from a closed headphone
than from an open (or even semi-open) headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back