DT 880 32 ohm No Easier to Drive than 250 ohm Version ... True or False?
Oct 20, 2010 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

blinkstar

100+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to trade a pair of K702s for a 32 ohm pair of Beyer 880s because I have a weak amp and have read that the 880s are easier to drive ... so far no luck finding a trade for the 32 ohm variant--but I've also read that the 32s aren't all that easier to drive than the 260 ohm 880s ... Any truth to this?

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 9
yes, I do not recommend the 32 ohm DT800, go straight for the 250 ohm, If you'd like to get an unamp cans with decent sound in Beryer family, DT860 or the T5p is the better alternative.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 9
Don't buy either if you don't have an amp that can drive them. People really need to understand impedance.

Can't tell you how many folks have a cry because their 32 ohm cans don't sound good from their _____.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 9
There are very few headphones that are harder to drive than the AKG K701. They are extremely inefficient, and at an awkward spot in impedance where you actually need a fairly powerful amp.

Quote:
Can't tell you how many folks have a cry because their 32 ohm cans don't sound good from their _____.

There are perhaps 6 low impedance headphones that sound good. Beyerdynamic didnt make any of them.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah they really do need a powerful amp. I tried the 32Ohm DT880/DT990 on my X-CanV8P and it drove them really nicely.  I find that the lower sensitivity coupled with the really low impedance would take a lot of current to power. I believe they are almost just as difficult to amp than the K701/K702, but that's my opinion.

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, I think I'm going to find out for sure, since it looks like I may be trading the K702s for another members 250 ohm 880s ... I should post the specs of the Denon HT receiver I'm currently using as an amp, but I'm at work and don't have the model number with me. It can't drive the K702s, that's for sure.

nikongod--I have heard that the K702s are particularly hard to drive and am counting on the 880s being at least compartively easier, so I hope you are right.

Thanks everyone for responding!

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 9
The 250Ohm DT880's are a lot easier to drive than the K701/K702. It's just the 32Ohm DT880's are much harder to drive properly than the other models.

Quote:
Well, I think I'm going to find out for sure, since it looks like I may be trading the K702s for another members 250 ohm 880s ... I should post the specs of the Denon HT receiver I'm currently using as an amp, but I'm at work and don't have the model number with me. It can't drive the K702s, that's for sure.

nikongod--I have heard that the K702s are particularly hard to drive and am counting on the 880s being at least compartively easier, so I hope you are right.

Thanks everyone for responding!

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 9
surprisingly, I demoed a pair of HD800's at my local dealer with my ipod classic and total airhead amp and they could get uncomfortably loud (course they might not sound their best) but i was surprised my setup could even power it

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Getting them loud enough is not an issue. All my headphone can get very loud off an ipod, even my T1's can. The issues lies with the amount of current or voltage you need to properly drive a headphone.

The need or amping to make a headphone loud is very overstated here. But an amp is required for all my headphones. I find the T1 can clip quite easily on my portable cd player and this is because it's not getting enough juice.

Quote:
surprisingly, I demoed a pair of HD800's at my local dealer with my ipod classic and total airhead amp and they could get uncomfortably loud (course they might not sound their best) but i was surprised my setup could even power it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back