DT 770 PRO 80, best $200 cans for electro music?
Mar 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SmOgER

500+ Head-Fier
I'am very close to buying those things. Is the bass comparable to extra bassy cans like XB500? How portable they are in the real life? I mean, can you wear(carry) them on your neck without issues? Do they worth the price difference from M50? Or dare I even ask, price difference from EQed XB500's? 
biggrin.gif
  You see, I'am not this kind of person looking for extra neutral sound, I want HP's which wouldn't be boring. BTW, I'am driving my stuff with Desire HD + FiiO E6.

PS., since I would be getting these second-hand, any tips for making sure they are genuine?

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 9
The DT770's aren't what I'd call portable. The large ear-cups and 10 feet cord ensures that. It's possible to use them as portables but not entirely problem free. If you go this route I'd recommend installing a removable cable. Just be careful and if you can, get someone experienced to help you. Don't worry about it being M50's, the basics are the same.
As far as SQ goes, the Beyers stomp the Sonys flat on the ground. They don't have as much bass, true, but the quality of the bass is a lot better. Couple that with a very good soundstage for a closed headphone, recessed mids and pronounced higs and you get a very fun V shaped headphone.
I can't speak for the differences between the M50 and these, though.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 9
What's interesting is that these and M50's on paper look fairly similiar, bass emphasis on DT770 being almost the same and only slightly more extended (when taking into account that actual human hearing is starting from 20+ Hz and common sub-bass we enjoy being even higher)  and of course DT770's recognized slight boost in treble.

Btw, it indeed seems that there are no dt770 fakes at all, wouldn't even thought about that, lol. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I'am very close to buying those things. Is the bass comparable to extra bassy cans like XB500? How portable they are in the real life? I mean, can you wear(carry) them on your neck without issues? Do they worth the price difference from M50? Or dare I even ask, price difference from EQed XB500's? 
biggrin.gif
  You see, I'am not this kind of person looking for extra neutral sound, I want HP's which wouldn't be boring. BTW, I'am driving my stuff with Desire HD + FiiO E6.

PS., since I would be getting these second-hand, any tips for making sure they are genuine?

Heya,

Coming from the XB500, all headphones will essentially sound like they have less bass.

What exactly are you looking to "upgrade" here?

Very best,

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Well I don't own XB500, I just tend to EQ bass on my entry-level S600's to really high levels.
but I got already tired of the the lack of clarity (at first I thought I can compensate it with EQ but they just get then squeeky and harsh on most brighter tracks so I end up constantly adjusting it up and forth, lol...) and recessed or unnatural (when EQed) mids. After I got used to them (and all these flaws confirmed/showed), I can fully enjoy them only after couple of beers.  
biggrin.gif

JVC's are good for their money, but now I want something substantially more, albeit bass is still priority number one while sacrificing other frqs (especially highs) as little as possible. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Well I don't own XB500, I just tend to EQ bass on my entry-level S600's to really high levels.
but I got already tired of the the lack of clarity (at first I thought I can compensate it with EQ but they just get then squeeky and harsh on most brighter tracks so I end up constantly adjusting it up and forth, lol...) and recessed or unnatural (when EQed) mids. After I got used to them (and all these flaws confirmed/showed), I can fully enjoy them only after couple of beers.  
biggrin.gif

JVC's are good for their money, but now I want something substantially more.

Heya,

Beyers can be really fantastic for bass if you EQ them. But you have to EQ properly. Don't adjust bass up. Adjust everything else down to enhance bass. Leave your sub-bass and mid-bass at the zero line. But start dropping other aspects down in a curve or so, by -10 db or so across the board. Then simply turn up the volume. This process works best with an amplifier to help bring volume up after you drop the EQ down like that. But it gives you a better sounding enhanced bass. This can be done with any headphone. It's really great with the DT770 though. I'd go 32ohm or 80ohm and add a little Fiio E11 or something to it and thump away.

Alternatively look at the M-Audio Q40 and Ultrasone HFi 580.

Very best,

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 9
The cups are pretty big if you're going to be wearing them around your neck. But the large cup size means that they're all the more comfortable on your ears. I carry mine around outside without any problems, but I wouldn't say they're optimized for portable use.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Ok bought them without too much thinking as I was able to get them for $100 mint condition.

The first thing I noticed E6 was clearly not enough for them. When everything fully squeezed from both AMP and HTC it gives routhly standart listening volume indoors. So an E11 or something similiar is needed, which costs as much as Beyers...
They are indeed very comfortable, but very huge at the same time, so if using as portable, a good case is needed, and it would at least ~$50.
The Beyers obviously have more clarity than JVC S600's, but it turned out I was EQing them incorrectly (using poorly made track as a reference). Bass... The sub-bass on Beyers is good, but not as responsive as on S600's (you need to EQ them further on the same volume to reach the same clean sub-bass quantity). Overall Of course Beyers are better, but not as much as I would like it to be, especially given the fact how much they cost (even if I got them for "dirt cheap"), and how big they are + the equipment needed to archieve higher volumes.

Will try to sell them for something like $130

Users who are viewing this thread

Back