DT-150- are they neutral or what?
Apr 1, 2009 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
yesterday i had the chance to try my HD5 plugged into the beyerdynamic A1 (!) to the DT-150.

i was immensely.. bored by the sound. does this mean that i belong to the fun camp? its very thin and lifeless its just... meh. i cant see why anybody would prefer this kind of sound.. kinda gives me an idea how different people are.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 28
Neutrality is a big fun with boring music (i mean classical). I'm not acquainted with DT-150 tone, though, but I'm a big fan of headphones that many find thin and lifeless.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 28
DT150 is not neutral in my opinion.
But not boring either, and I heard some boring headphones.
The DT150 doesn't wow either, but it has a steady pace, that keeps my feet tapping.
Maybe it depends on the source and kind of music you listen to. I think the music of the DT150 has a natural flow, powerful mids, impactful and well defined bass. The sound is rather weighty to my ears.
It puzzles me how you can find it thin and lifeless
This really is a headphone that causes extreme opinions, going from thin/ shrill sounding to having a midbass hump and warm sounding
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neutrality is a big fun with boring music (i mean classical).

LOL, I find myself agreeing with that assessment, even though (or because of) I'm a huge classical music-fanatic. Classical music (or, as a better definition: unamplified music) is the only stuff that sounds best when left alone, i.e. as uncoloured as possible. Most, if not all, amplified music really gains from being a little coloured in the right way.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I find myself agreeing with that assessment, even though (or because of) I'm a huge classical music-fanatic.

I find classic music boring only one day in a year, though I appreciate classical more than listen.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT150 is not neutral in my opinion.
But not boring either, and I heard some boring headphones.
The DT150 doesn't wow either, but it has a steady pace, that keeps my feet tapping.
Maybe it depends on the source and kind of music you listen to. I think the music of the DT150 has a natural flow, powerful mids, and impactful and well defined bass.
It puzzels me how you can find it thin and lifeless
This really is a headphone that causes extreme opinions, going from thin/ shrill sounding to having a midbass hump and warm sounding
confused_face(1).gif

I agree with Tiemen. Can't see (hear?) for the life of me how the dt150s can sound lifeless and thin.... Even if you don't like their sound sig.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 28
I'm very curious... what did you listen through previously? Maybe you like the mdr-v6 better...a hyped kind of sound? What's missing with the DT150? I'm only asking because I was interested in buying the 150's. Want to sell? Maybe your source music is boring?

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the DT150 has a ruler-flat frequency response

Says who (besides you)? Do you have any measurements or frequency response graphs to prove this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart
It is designed as a studio monitor, and therefore to reproduce exactly what is on the recording.

And so every other studio monitor headphone is also designed to do that. I guess everyone should just get whatever studio headphone they think looks the best because they all sound the same?

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 28
I think the DT-150 is really boring too. Sounds very lifeless to me. But not because it is neutral, which I would agree, it is fairly neutral in terms of quantity of treble, bass, etc.

But I find it boring for the same reason i find the HD600/650 boring- it is so so so dry. It's missing the liquid mids that old AKG's and other headphones can produce. I really don't know what makes a phone sound dry/liquid...

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 28
I found the HD580/600 and the K340 to be liquid in a syrupy way, and I find my planars to be liquid in a more fluid/less viscous fashion. I found the Sextetts to be grainy and tinny.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And so every other studio monitor headphone is also designed to do that. I guess everyone should just get whatever studio headphone they think looks the best because they all sound the same?

Of course not. There is more to sound quality than frequency response (and DT 150s are excellent in every respect.) I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt this time and assume you were not too stupid to know that!

It is certainly true, however, that all studio monitor headphones worthy of the name have ruler-flat response. If they didn't, how could anybody mix on them?

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the DT-150 is really boring too. Sounds very lifeless to me. But not because it is neutral, which I would agree, it is fairly neutral in terms of quantity of treble, bass, etc.

But I find it boring for the same reason i find the HD600/650 boring- it is so so so dry. It's missing the liquid mids that old AKG's and other headphones can produce. I really don't know what makes a phone sound dry/liquid...

Hmmm, now I'm sitting in my chair just like your avatar
biggrin.gif
Thinking about the definition of "dry" and "liquid".
I like both AKG mids and DT150 mids, because to me they are liquid (DT150 to a lesser degree then the old AKG models).
But maybe my understanding of dry and liquid is not accurate. And I'm not sarcastic here. Just wondering.
To me, the DT150 has full, wet and liquid mids.
And for example the K240DF has IMO liquid and dry mids.
But I'm open to corrections
normal_smile .gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yesterday i had the chance to try my HD5 plugged into the beyerdynamic A1 (!) to the DT-150.

i was immensely.. bored by the sound. does this mean that i belong to the fun camp? its very thin and lifeless its just... meh. i cant see why anybody would prefer this kind of sound.. kinda gives me an idea how different people are.

The DT150s are very far from neutral. It makes it's presence known and is not what I consider a transparent headphone.

However, thin and lifeless...hmm. For me, it's very far from thin, the sound is quite thick IMO. I'm not sure I agree with lifeless, but it's not really rocking the extreme U shaped response neither.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back