DS Lite or PSP?
Jun 18, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #106 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
gamestop.com?

Yeah, I have one next to my house, but i'm looking for like dirt cheap games. eBay would be good but since you have to pay for shipping cost, it's kinda evens out.

Well for you guys who do not know, Toys r us is giving you $5.00 off of any DS games. I got bust-a-move for $14.00. I was hoping to get it for my psp but the PSP version is $40.00. Do you guys recommend any games for the DS? I already have New super mario brothers, and will borrow animal crossing from a friend. Any other games worth playing?

Highflying, the cover for the GBA cartiage is actually pretty cool, I really like it since you don't have a hole in your ds lite anymore. Basically it's for asthetics purposes.

Jun 18, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #107 of 143
Quote:

What exactly is the point of the DS Lite's GBA cartridge cover? It seems a bit intricate for just keeping the area dust free.

Since the GBA games stick out, the cover keeps the lines... clean. And stuff.

Jun 18, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #108 of 143
I tested a few games on both DS Lite and GBA SP. SP does not have a headphone jack at all, so I went by the sound of the speakers. The DS definately does produce some audible noise not noticeable on SP. The SP also produced some distortion (not noise) not present on the DS, but this could have been the low battery. So I do think the DS is adding some artifacts to GBA sound.

Jun 18, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #109 of 143
damn, I have a dead pixel on the upper screen... probably gonna go return it for a new one. (I have the Best Buy 2yr-replacement plan thingy)

I've only played the old castlevanias and super mario bros 3 on it, not bad. Why can't you play gba titles near full screen though? And damn, is it bright. I have to use the lowest setting or else I get a headache.

Jun 19, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #110 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
Since the GBA games stick out, the cover keeps the lines... clean. And stuff.

It does seem a little over designed though. I mean, it has circuit contacts on it! Makes it seem like it serves some sort of function other than aesthetics.

^^^to post above, I believe GBA games do not play full screen because the DS screen has more pixels than the GBA screen.

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #111 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Any other games worth playing?

I'd try:

New Super Mario Bros
Sonic Rush
Meteos
Tetris
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Brain Age
Metroid
Castlevania DS
Mario 64
Kirby Canvas Curse

I would consider all of those AAA games, having played them. And there are many more I haven't tried yet...

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #112 of 143
I've been playing a little Mario Kart Battle mode and not sure if I am doing it properly. It says to blow into the microphone to inflate your other balloons (you start with one). I blow as hard as I can but I get no more balloons.

Is my mic broken?

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #113 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I'd try:

New Super Mario Bros
Sonic Rush
Meteos
Tetris
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Brain Age
Metroid
Castlevania DS
Mario 64
Kirby Canvas Curse

I would consider all of those AAA games, having played them. And there are many more I haven't tried yet...

Meteos is a great game, I saw it at target on clearance for $7.99 and didn't buy it; now I'm having a difficult time paying 29.99 for it when I saw it for 8 dollars.

Jun 19, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #114 of 143
Gotta ask, how many of you guys had dead pixels with your ds lites? I want to go to BB and exchange it, but I'm afraid I'll end up with more/same dead pixels.

Jun 19, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #115 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Gotta ask, how many of you guys had dead pixels with your ds lites? I want to go to BB and exchange it, but I'm afraid I'll end up with more/same dead pixels.

My Japanese one had two, and that bugged me so it got eBay'd. My USA one has zero. Also, Nintendo of America can replace it for you... if the pixels bug ya. They're very good about that stuff. Give them a call.

EDIT:

$8 for METEOS!? Jesus! That game feels like a steal for $30 given how much time I've played it...

Jun 20, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #116 of 143
I just returned my DSL because of a dead pixel. Now I'll have a fresh one to put my Hori on! I'm thinking about importing one though but is the Japanese version EXACTLY the same (firmware and everything). Is it just set to display in Japanese? Thanks

Jun 20, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #117 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
I just returned my DSL because of a dead pixel. Now I'll have a fresh one to put my Hori on! I'm thinking about importing one though but is the Japanese version EXACTLY the same (firmware and everything). Is it just set to display in Japanese? Thanks

If a dead pixel bothered you, you're a bad candidate (like me) for importing. If you import one and it's got another dead pixel, you are essentially screwed. They will not let you return it for that reason, and you'll have to just take a chance.

The Japanese DS Lite is identical to the American version, it just starts with the language in Japanese and has Japanese writing on the bottom.

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #118 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Meteos is a great game, I saw it at target on clearance for $7.99 and didn't buy it; now I'm having a difficult time paying 29.99 for it when I saw it for 8 dollars.

Slightly OT but Target has some great prices on clearance stuff, they are just rare to come across. I picked up Trace Memory recently for $8.

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #119 of 143
So how do GBA games play on the DS Lite? I just picked up a Lite to play grown-up games
biggrin.gif
like sudaku, brain age, etc.....but the pac-man for DS apparently hasnt reviewed well. My wife is a CLASSIC Ms-pac-man fan, so I must do something for our upcoming plane trip...Tetris DS is my backup plan, but I dunno how a GBA pac-man would play. I'm guessing it would only play on the 1 screen, but little hand-held experience, much less GBA games on DS.

Anyone? Thanks!

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #120 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by highgrovemanor
So how do GBA games play on the DS Lite? I just picked up a Lite to play grown-up games
biggrin.gif
like sudaku, brain age, etc.....but the pac-man for DS apparently hasnt reviewed well. My wife is a CLASSIC Ms-pac-man fan, so I must do something for our upcoming plane trip...Tetris DS is my backup plan, but I dunno how a GBA pac-man would play. I'm guessing it would only play on the 1 screen, but little hand-held experience, much less GBA games on DS.

Anyone? Thanks!

GBA games work just fine on the DS. You can pick the screen they play on, and the DS Lite screens are REALLY nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back